Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Landlord for the first time today, and thought that it was an interesting, if chaotic, example of the "Whack Your Buddy" or "Take That" school of gaming. The first thing that I suggest is to use Poker chips as cash in the game, as you will occasionally need to pay for certain cards or actions. Using poker chips makes it easy to see who is winning at a glance. During the rent collection phase of your turn, calculate the rent due, draw the desired number of cards, then take the balance in chips.

If you can get certain combinations of cards, you can generate some serious rent. All 5 students in one 5 story building, or a three story plus roof dormer and basement, will net you $20 in rent per turn. The scientist in the same building as the celebrities will net $12 per turn (to do this you have to add a basement or roof dormer).

During my game, I was able to construct a number of buildings, and had rent in the $30 + per turn range. I concentrated on drawing mostly cards, and indeed was able to run the deck out. This guaranteed that I would get the last play, and that I would be able to win the game.

Cards are a valuable resource in Landlord. There is no way to lose cards in hand, while cards that you have built and tennants that you have housed are vulnerable. If you maximize your hand size, you have a better chance of holding key defence cards.

While playing with 5 or six players seems like it would be very chaotic, it would also be a lot of fun. If you concentrate on building up the cards in your hand, you can probably set yourself up for a very strong late game play.

Landlord is not a deep game, but it is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Goldsmith
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Re:Basic Strategy
magicmarcus (#30261),

Pretty much the main strategy is until the last turn or two, put all your rent money into cards. Pretty much any card will return at least $2. This strategy is so obvious and so effective that the game plays much better with a limit of 5 cards drawn per turn. --Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.