8 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Leader standees & rings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A year ago I glued the ring punchout back to the rings, then glued a magnet on each.
On the bottom of each plastic standee I glued a steal washer (stainless steel doesn't work so well)

So I repeated the process for the new rings and standees.

Came out great, i got a lot better with the gluing, I am pretty happy with the outcome.

But I still don't have a good solution for the leader cardboard in the standees.

I have seen the pyrex replacement standees someone posted here, but I don't want to purchase those.

Anyone have a good solution how to connect the cardboard to the plastic where the cardboard doesn't get ruined?
Or a way to connect the 2 in such a way that they won't become separated easily?

I have considered replacing the standee (less likely after I glued the new washers) or adding a little 3D printed part that will hold the leader cardboard and snap into the standee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same thing with mine (keeping the punched out center, putting a magnet on it, putting the washer on the bottom). Its awesome and I get a lot of compliments on it!

I know its probably not what you want to hear, but I glued the standee into the stand. They never need to come out, so I didn't see the harm in it and the cardboard isn't fraying from going in and out of the stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Batista
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Necr0mancer wrote:
I did the same thing with mine (keeping the punched out center, putting a magnet on it, putting the washer on the bottom). Its awesome and I get a lot of compliments on it!

I know its probably not what you want to hear, but I glued the standee into the stand. They never need to come out, so I didn't see the harm in it and the cardboard isn't fraying from going in and out of the stand.

I will do this to mine too. Recently the cardboard on some began to tear due to just falling out of stand while in box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Necr0mancer wrote:

Have you experienced any ill effects because of this?

If it does come out, wouldn't it kill the cardboard?

How much glue did you put, is it clear to not block the art?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
Necr0mancer wrote:

A tiny bit of super glue would keep those things from ever coming out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Willmot
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just cut a roughly squarish piece of cellotape and fold it over the base of the cardboard standee. It takes about 3 seconds and probably won't cost you anything if you already have tape in the house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edrekishi wrote:
I just cut a roughly squarish piece of cellotape and fold it over the base of the cardboard standee. It takes about 3 seconds and probably won't cost you anything if you already have tape in the house.

and then it doesn't fall out? or it just protects the cardboard from damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:

No ill effects at all! Obviously, the leaders are more or less permenantly bonded to the stand, but that's ok, because if you're doing the magnet-ring method there is never a reason to take them off of the stand.

jooice wrote:

If it does come off, I would just reglue it. Using superglue on them, they aren't going to come off unless you make a direct effort to pull them off.

I imagine if you wanted to separate the cardboard from the stand you definitely would have to damage the cardboard, but there really isn't any reason to do that.

jooice wrote:

You only really need a drop or two of crazy glue. When I did it, I put the glue directly into the plastic stand, then pressed the cardboard into the stand (wiping away any excess glue) and then let it dry for a few minutes.

It doesn't block the art because you only put glue on the part where the stand and the cardboard meet. It doesn't block the art anymore then when you use the stand.

On a side note, when I originally did this I used just regular White Elmer's Glue. While some of them did stay, the glue didn't bond to the plastic of the majority of them and they fell out. After that I went to Superglue and they look great and I didn't have any problems with them staying in the stand.

But even on the ones that fell out, the Elmer's white glue could just be rubbed off, without damaging the cardboard at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.