Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any opinions as to whether one of the scenarios is better to play for the first game? Does the 1941 game take longer to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
Any opinions as to whether one of the scenarios is better to play for the first game? Does the 1941 game take longer to play?

From what I read, 1941 is supposed to take longer.

But I have never played either scenario so I am curious as well.

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
mb
I am very interested in the answers found here. Not trying to highjack the thread but can anyone add any comments to the balance and difficulty (which should you recommend to brand new A&A players)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also,

It would also be be nice to get an idea of what powers to play when we have 3, 4 or 5 players?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
Also,

It would also be be nice to get an idea of what powers to play when we have 3, 4 or 5 players?

Thx
jonpfl

Do you have the game yet? I think this is covered in the instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
Also,

Thx
jonpfl

It mentions that for 5 players, Italy should be played by the same player as Germany. Doesn’t mention for 3-4 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The charm of this version of A&A is exhibited best by the 1941 scenario... that’s the one I would suggest. It allows you to recreate, or not, two of the major operations of WWII in a light war game. Commit to this one.

The experience of playing Italy is the least involved (though not without nuance), that’s why it is suggested as the “extra.” Germany’s fight with the USSR and UK is critical to the Axis chances, so I would give the two major Axis powers to your most experienced players. The US has interesting strategic decisions and will have to be patient, so I’d give that role to the most experienced Allied player.

Just my opinion. I’ve played this version of Axis and Allies about seven times (and loved it every time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think ‘balance’ for beginner players is different than for experienced players. Play 1941. If you feel it favours the Allies, then try another game with 1942. Then you’ll be able to decide which on you feel is closest fought and play that until you discover the strategies that tilt the balance the other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
Desiderata wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
Also,

Thx
jonpfl

It mentions that for 5 players, Italy should be played by the same player as Germany. Doesn’t mention for 3-4 players

If playing with less than 6, Germany should always play Italy as well.

3 - however you want. Probably:
- Germany+Italy+Japan, US+Russia, UK
- Germany+Italy, Japan, US+Russia+UK
4 - however you want. Probably:
- Germany+Italy, Japan, US+Russia, UK

I’d usually suggest US+Russia as the US player spends a lot of time at the beginning just building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendations for the 1941 scenario. If nothing else, it is noticeably unique from the traditional 1942 A&A setup (the US still can fight for the Philippines, for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1941 is a longer game yes... By one turn. I like the '42 set up the most.

split up the two most experienced players then assign the remainder of players to each side.

Germany should also play Italy. America should also play China.

In a three player game I would have the most experienced play as the allies all to themselves. Then one player with Germany/Italy and the other with Japan.

In a 4 player game i would have
1) USA/China and Russia
2) Brits
3) Germ/Italy
4) Japan

With 5 players you simply split up Russia and the US to individual players.

This isn't the best for late game Russia players or early game US players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.