Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations for other games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Celia Ishoon
msg tools
My gf and I play 5 Tribes daily. Love it and looking for what game to get next. Figured maybe y'all might have recommendations.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Martin
United States
Overland Park
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider some of the expansions
Five Tribes: The Artisans of Naqala
Five Tribes: Whims of the Sultan

Or another newer game from the same designer that has some similarities, but is different enough to give you a different experience is
Yamataï
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing for sure what it is you love about Five Tribes, I'd recommend Istanbul. It has a similar "plan ahead, but be prepared to tactically respond to shifting conditions" feel that Five Tribes gives you. It's a race game, in a sense, so it's not just about acquiring the most stuff/points. It's a similar weight, scales well and is colorful/attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ziegeweid
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire
mbmbmbmbmb
I love 5 Tribes as a 2 player game. I'd recommend Targi and Spyrium as two other games that have a spatial/movement aspect along with building sets and optimizing the exchange of goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trajan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To open up the conversation a little more, what exactly do you like about Five Tribes? Do you like the different options to score points/victory? Do you like the buildup of all your actions, not knowing until the end how you're doing? Resource collection? Just trying to see what aspects you like to better give recommendations. Plus I'm curious as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Rocha
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Without knowing for sure what it is you love about Five Tribes, I'd recommend Istanbul. It has a similar "plan ahead, but be prepared to tactically respond to shifting conditions" feel that Five Tribes gives you. It's a race game, in a sense, so it's not just about acquiring the most stuff/points. It's a similar weight, scales well and is colorful/attractive.

Right, Istanbul has a lot of similarities with Five Tribes! Now I realize why I like Istanbul so much as well laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celia Ishoon
msg tools
Nayr090 wrote:
To open up the conversation a little more, what exactly do you like about Five Tribes? Do you like the different options to score points/victory? Do you like the buildup of all your actions, not knowing until the end how you're doing? Resource collection? Just trying to see what aspects you like to better give recommendations. Plus I'm curious as well.

I like how it features combo-ish play without being overpowered. I often compare it as a preference to Batman play vs. Superman. I

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy is scratching a little bit of the same itch for me. (Five Tribes is one of my favorites).

The "different paths to victory" and "point salad" itch is also scratched by Great Western Trail (which is currently my top favorite, with Five Tribes running a bit close).

Castles of Burgundy is shorter and scales well to 2 players, so to me it's the best fit. GWT is more a longer game, and I'm not sure it's as good with 2, although it is good with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would 2nd @Richard Martin. Both of the expansions change the game up a lot.

On the other hand Yamatai has the same (kind-of) manqala mechanism and the same gorgeous art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsbri wrote:

+1 to this. Trajan is fantastic and, in my opinion, has a lot of the same "appeal" that Five Tribes has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronaldo Fatecha
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be the contrarian, but I would recommend something different from Five Tribes, just so you guys won't get bored of the mechanics. Whenever I buy a new game I try to make sure it's going to be different from the others in my collection.

For example, Cyclades and Yamatai are both from the same designer and have some similarities to Five Tribes, but are different enough that you won't feel like you are playing the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ B
Ireland
Cavan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gold West has a nice mix of mancala style mechanisms combined with some light area control. I've never gotten to try it but have looked at it as I also enjoy Five Tribes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious sequel to Five Tribes is Yamataï.

Same kind of puzzly gameplay and co-designed by the same designer as Five Tribes.

Five Tribes is my favorite game.
Yamatai is my second best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@deedob you're my soulmate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celia Ishoon
msg tools
deedob wrote:
The obvious sequel to Five Tribes is Yamataï.

Same kind of puzzly gameplay and co-designed by the same designer as Five Tribes.

Five Tribes is my favorite game.
Yamatai is my second best.

We picked this up since the game store had it. Enjoying it and looking forward to figuring out the nuances.

Great Western Trail seems to be out of print.

Thanks all for the recommendations. Will investigate the others as funds allow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
the 2 player : Longhorn -same designer.
& older 3M game: Contigo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.