Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Roth
United States
cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know it’s new and no one really has played but any thoughts on how to play with 2 players? We were thinking using 3 characters and alternating using the “extra” character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why not two each? The cognitive overhead for alternating two turns then one turn compared to just always playing two doesn't seem much of a saving to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We did season one as two players. Just a single character each.

It was Fabulous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stamp
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't have a plan set in stone for the whole year, start with three characters and see how it goes. You only have to decide before you start setup for that game.
You might find you want the abilities of four characters or you've only got two left alive! This is especially true if you're playing a month again when you know the objectives before setup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott deVries
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're 6 games in, having a player for each of us and a dummy player we both control. Working great so far (minus the many losses!) shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broth32 wrote:
I know it’s new and no one really has played but any thoughts on how to play with 2 players? We were thinking using 3 characters and alternating using the “extra” character.

My wife and I ended up playing most of S1 two player because our other players were not reliable in finding time to join us. It was just as awesome an experience playing 2p as it was 4p. The main difference is 2p was noticeably easier. If that is something that you think will bother you, then having a 3rd (or even play two characters each) will make it more challenging. But for us, we loved S1 and were addicted to it until the end whether we easily won or lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a co-op game; I don't even see why any character needs to correspond to a specific player. Unless you're the type to get into a lot of arguments or something, you could just make decisions collectively. Perhaps instead of alternating turns with the third character, you could only alternate who makes decisions when you don't agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
nerman8r wrote:
It's a co-op game; I don't even see why any character needs to correspond to a specific player.

Many people (including myself) like having a personal identity in their games. Going from 'my guy on the board' to the abstract of 'those pawns on the board' can entirely take some people out of the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Padgett
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
We did Season 1 as a 2 player game with 1 character each & we're playing season 2 the same way. No problems so far, but we have only reached Feb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular Pandemic is easier with two characters than with more, I think. It can be susceptible to bad draws if you're both collecting one color each and keep drawing colors nobody is collecting; but on the other hand, there's just less risk of having some colors get spread out between lots of players, forcing you to meet up more. And with fewer players, it's easier to plan ahead and coordinate; with four players, it's hard to plan ahead since by the time your turn comes around, there's probably already been so much stuff going on, epidemics... In two player regular pandemic, if you lose, it's usually because of number of outbreaks; with four players, it was often because of number of cards in deck.

Pandemic Legacy Season 1 seems like it was similarly easier with two than with four, but it's harder to tell since most people stick with the same size group, and therefore have trouble comparing.

Since Season 2 has some core similarities - you're still collecting cards of a particular color. So I suspect that it will be slightly easier with two than with four. But without knowing how the game changes over the months, there's no way to work for sure.

But I strongly suspect that just playing it two-player, with one character per person, is going to be a fine approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Our Season 1 was 2 players playing 2 each. One of our characters tended to be the same each time (I usually picked Scientist, my brother usually picked Medic) but it wasn't always true.

We lost three games, but no month was ever lost. It was a lot of fun, because we got to test things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.