Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Legend of the Five Rings» Forums » Rules

Subject: Multiplayer questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hello former LR players!
I understand this game is quite old, but I got a few Samurai starters and boosters for a bargain and have started playing this with the family. So we are a 4 player group. I have several questions related to multiplayer mode:

- Some cards (rings for instance) require that you destroy one or more province or ennemy unit to enter play. If I'm an ally, not leader, in a battle that we win, do I get the benefit of the destroyed units/provinces and therefore am I able to play the aforementionned cards as a consequence?

- Do both the ally and the leader get awarded honor points for destroyed cards in a won battle? we assumed only the attacker (leader) would...

- can an ally also play battle actions during the battle phase? If so, what's the turn order? We assumed each side would play battle actions one after the other, with allies deciding who was going to play when... is that correct?

- can a player request the imperial favor if another player already has it?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex C
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be wrong here but I think by Samurai Edition the multiplayer option (already flimsily implemented imho) was taken out, so to answer your questions based on earlier rulebooks (lotus/gold/etc.)...

1- Nope. Only the attacker can claim those benefits.

2-Allies only get a fixed amount of honor (2) for commiting units to a battle. That's it. All honor granted by combat resolutions goes to the main attacker/defender.

3-Absolutely. You will usually be "stealing" the imperial favor away from other players rather than the table itself.

BTW. If you are interested in multiplayer L5R you should check out the War of Honor Set. which was specifically created for that purpose and has a better implementation of multiplayer rules for L5R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for the reply!

Regarding Samurai Edition, the rulebook has the multiplayer rules in it, but they are very brief and lack some details. These rules no longer appear in the Celestial Edition, with just a sentence pointing the reader to online rules that are no longer available, unfortunately... Has anyone who ever saved these online rules made them available for download?

Any idea about battle actions turn order?

I also have an additionnal question: can the attacked/defender have more than one ally in the same battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex C
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well L5R was really a duel-style game, with a barebones "well you could add in other players" kinda approach to multiplayer gaming. So they eventually did away with the rules in the rulebooks until they dedicated a box set to a specific multiplayer variant (War of Honor).

I know some early rulebooks are on scribd, but you will most likely have to track down physical copies of early edition starters if you are hunting for specific rulesets (to be fair the game is pretty similar in most editions.

As for your questions in multiplayer games you start the battle actions from the defender and the proceed alternating as usual clockwise from him . The phase ends when all players pass consecutively. I don't remember if Naval was a thing in Samurai, but if that's the case you only change who starts the phase and then proceed clockwise from him/her.

And yes, you can have as many attackers/defenders as possible.This is problem #1 in "classic" multiplayer L5R, as it lends itself to severe kingmaking. WoH introduced some terrain tiles that served to restricted how you could ally yourself with other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. kempy .
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For multiplayer i really suggest to get copy of War of Honor and use it for Samurai/Celestial/Emperor cards. For Ivory and Twenty Festivals there's fanmade update that cleaned and corrected some things.

Some WoH resources if you won't find physical copy:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xwslerujenx1xsg/AABqCxq607W0ODtew...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.