Subject: Throwing and Dropping Objects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Throwing Objects

The revised rulebook says that if you throw an item and fail, you drop the object a number of areas away equal to the manipulation power. This means the object drops further away from the space I wanted the object to go, away from my hero, right?

So if I wanted to throw an object 2 spaces away and I roll a 1, then I fail and the object would drop 1 space past where I wanted the object to go.

I have a few questions about this.

1. What happens if I'm trying to throw to an object 2 spaces away and then I roll a 0?

I "failed" but would the object drop exactly where I wanted it to drop since the manipulation power is 0?

2. What if I want to throw an object 2 spaces away that targets the edge of the board and I fail? Since the object cannot be thrown past the target area, would it drop exactly where I wanted it to go whether I fail or succeed?

Dropping Objects

Can heroes drop as many items as they like in the same turn for free?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Poole
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Troller of Trolls
mbmbmbmbmb
Great questions...I hope we hear something about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me for a citation, but I could have sworn it said -- using your example -- that if you wanted to throw an object 2 spaces away and you rolled a one, the object would only go one space away from the thrower's space -- not one space past your target space.

So when you say "the object a number of areas away equal to the manipulation power," this means away from the thrower, not past the target. (if I'm reading your question right.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Carmen wrote:
I don't have the rules in front of me for a citation, but I could have sworn it said -- using your example -- that if you wanted to throw an object 2 spaces away and you rolled a one, the object would only go one space away from the thrower's space -- not one space past your target space.

So when you say "the object a number of areas away equal to the manipulation power," this means away from the thrower, not past the target. (if I'm reading your question right.)

Ah! I think you are correct. I misunderstood the rules. What you said makes way more sense.

The rulebook says:

"To throw an object, the hero chooses one of their objects that has an encumbrance value of 3 or less and an area in their line of sight (see page 10).

The hero performs a complex Manipulation that has a difficulty equal to the distance from the hero to the chosen area. If the hero succeeds, the hero drops the object in the chosen area. If the hero fails, the hero drops the object a number of areas away equal to the manipulation power, following the line of sight to the chosen area. When the object is dropped in an area, one hero in that area may immediately perform a simple manipulation to catch the object or pick it up."

So if the distance was a 2 and I rolled a 1, the object would fall one space in front of my hero. If I rolled a 0, it would drop in the same space.

I think what screwed me up is that I read on the forums here someone talking about overthrowing objects so when I read the rules I thought that's what they meant. I'm working on a rules video so I want to make sure I understand everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.