Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
"The other player must play either Swan, or his highest card of the suit."

Does this mean he has a choice of the two options, or he must play Swan and if he hasn't Swan, then must play the highest card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He MUST play either, or.

So , yes, he has a choice of which one to play.
Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Buergel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
myyysha wrote:
"The other player must play either Swan, or his highest card of the suit."

Does this mean he has a choice of the two options, or he must play Swan and if he hasn't Swan, then must play the highest card?

The other player can choose, if they have a Swan. It's not required to play the Swan if they want to hold it back for later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
msg tools
What if they have neither?

Also, if you don't take into account the ability, I assume it's just a regular 11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
danieldukai wrote:
What if they have neither?

You are compelled to follow suit. If you don't have a "highest" of a given suit when that Monarch is played, then you are free to trump or discard.

Quote:
Also, if you don't take into account the ability, I assume it's just a regular 11.

I think a similar statement could be made for each odd-numbered card =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
msg tools
I know they need to follow suit, but I just assumed that if they have neither the same suit Swan or the highest suit, they just toss an arbitrary card or use a trump card.

By the way...

If a player Leads with a SEVEN and the other player also plays a SEVEN, I assume the leading player wins the trick and gets two points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
danieldukai wrote:
By the way...

If a player Leads with a SEVEN and the other player also plays a SEVEN, I assume the leading player wins the trick and gets two points.

Since there is only one of each card in the deck, playing two 7's means the second player cannot be following the suit led - therefore, the player leading would normally win the trick (and score 2 points immediately - 1 for each 7 in the trick).

EXCEPT if the following player played a 7 that was the trump suit - in this case they would win the hand (and the 2 points).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
msg tools
Yes, but playing the trump suit is obviously a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.