Subject: Help needed - Gazetteer Comprehensive Map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Knarr
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello to all,

as I really like the Zone Map from the original B-17 and the even better fan-made maps you can find for that game on the geek here, I thought why not make a similar map, using my limited knowledge of GIMP and Google Maps for TfT?

I ran into one problem though: There is TOO MANY Targets in this game. I made it to the end of the letter "A" (which is a bit more than 5% of all targets) and Germany already looks like a moon landscape... so my question is: What to do?

1) make separate maps per Zone?
- I'd say that's a bad idea as the clutter will be even worse

2) make separate maps per letters?
- I guess "B" could also fit on this one and then you'll end up with at least ten different maps...

3) make one GIANT map?
- It would be A2 or maybe even bigger if you wanted all cities to be distinguishable on it.

Right now I prefer 2), as bigger map would also mean I would need a higher resolution map of WW2 Europe that is plain black and white.

Below you can see my "A" map. Note that both the Zone Circles are still missing (and I assume they won't exactly fit the zones Legion Wargames put the cities in, as I found some very close cities with different zone assignments and vice versa) and the map has not been made pretty (I thought about making it a bit parchment-y in the end similar to a popular fan map for B-17 you can find on the Geek). Also I cropped the map before I exported it, it actually shows enough of Europe that it could also be used for 15th Air Force operations!

So I'm looking for

1 - your comments on how to proceed
2 - maybe someone is good with graphics and is willing to take on the parts I'm really bad at (making it look pretty in the end after I added the targets maybe or making pretty circles for the Zones, as I would only make plain black lined ones)
3 - maybe someone has a high-res map of Europe I can use without infringing copyrights?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knarr
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note the misspellings in the Gazetteer:

Auskirchen - Should be Euskirchen, but I still put it on the "A"-map for ease of use.

Amsberg - Should be Arnsberg, looks like a common mis-read as rn and m are so similar-looking.

Is this a spelling error by Legion wargames or did Bombing High Command misspell these because of faulty maps (like was so common in the Pacific)?
I seem to remember some designer commentary that said they'd stick to wrong names for historicity, but that might have been for either TfT or Empire of the Sun, which I also read recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Polak
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After determining my next target, I simply pull out my old Atlas and look up where the target is. For small targets such as airfields, when necessary I determine the nearest large city, using Google, and then find it in the Atlas. This avoids the difficulty of producing a Zone Map, and allows zones to vary depending on the flight path to avoid flak concentrations. Yes, it is not very high technology, but it works to give me an idea of where this particular mission will be going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clifford
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael

I started a similar project (less sophisticated - just printed out a WW2 era political map [A3 sized] and "eyeballed" locations) when I was off work for a couple of days a month or so back. Apart from the crudity of my approach, I ran into the same issue of too many targets (in a positive sense it should make getting the "contours" more accurate) - but I took a different approach and tried to get a wide mix of Zones to see if I could work out the pattern). Also working with a mix of modern and WW2 maps (and spellings/misspellings) wasn't easy. I jotted Zone numbers against each location, and as you also noted, there are possibly issues with adjacent locations in different Zones and also some locations (I think Dieppe struck me as being in too high a Zone for instance) not fitting the general pattern. I wondered if some targets were "adjusted" in the design to represent particularly hazardous targets.

I shelved the project when I went back to work, but would be interested in seeing something similar to the B-17 map - I think it's more atmospheric to move the counter representing the aircraft across a geographical surface rather than a simple track.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce E. Schwark
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps do a map limiting it to each campaign. I fear in the end that might be cluttered also.

Or ---

Do a separate map for each target type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen S. Preston

Littleton
Colorado
msg tools
1. What you need is either a gnomonic projection, where a straight line any where on the map represents the shortest distance between two points on the globe (great circles), or an equidistant projection, where each the length of each line drawn from the center of projection represents the shortest distance between two points. Each projection should be centered the mean center of airfields in England. Another map would have to be centered on Foggia for 15th Air Force operations.

2. Using the actual coordinates of all the places of interest, a computer program convert them to the x-y coordinates of a map.

3. Using the actual radii for each zone line, these lines would appear as circular arcs on the maps at their precise locations.

4. Finally, all targets are indicated on the map but an index would be created for each zone. For example, alphabetize the target list for each zone. Use letters for each zone and the number from the list, the first target on the list would be A1, B1, C1, etc.

5. Western national boundaries of the modern German state exist in database. This database can be used for the major rivers. If you adopt the German view of European geography in 1943, the eastern boundaries are not required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.