Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Phan
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hi! I'm new to Star Wars Destiny and I'm trying to get an idea of strategies for building a custom deck. Can anyone please share what cards are in their favorite deck and briefly explain what the objective of their deck is? I know that's a really broad ask, but I'm relatively new to this type of gaming and I'm finding all the card choices to be a bit daunting. Thanks in advance for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Castle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to my current deck with a guide:

https://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/14885/ladiesoftheforce....0

I'm currently experimenting with Willpower and Rejuvenate instead of Ancient Lightsaber and Synchronicity. So far so good, but if vehicule decks really becomes a thing, I might have to include Defelect in the deck also to deal with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the money pit known as Star Wars Destiny!!!

I have many decks and deck ideas. I play for hard quick damage and never for control other than defensive control. In general all my decks have the same formula:
8 - 10 Die removal or die turning cards
10 - 15 upgrades (weapons, abilities, etc..
0 - 2 supports
6 - 8 cards that do stuff depending on my characters.

I build to get as many dice on the board as possible. I build trying to keep my damage source either ranged or melee but not both for speed reasons. I also try to bring a very generic battlefield so I don't help my opponent somehow.

last building tip. Build for turn one in mind. Think about what would be your ideal best 5 card starting hand look like and build around that + your character choices. Understand which cards are early game best cards and late game best cards for your build. Early game cards for me are 2 cost weapons and resource ramping. Late game cards are action cheating and damage enhancing. Die alteration is always nice at every point in the game.

I will say, Legenday cards and dice are MUCH better in most cases than the cheap stuff, BUT if you learn to play your cheap stuff well, you will do just as well and anybody.

For more deck ideas and a place to build your own decks give this site a try.
https://swdestinydb.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Phan
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mb
Red Castle, Superfly, thank you for your replies, I found them to be extremely helpful and a great starting point! I’m really looking forward to spending more time (and money) with this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much you want to pick what win state (kill all the characters or run them out of cards in deck and hand). Then the build the deck based on how you are going to accomplish that.

You'll want a 4 die start ( a few 3 dice builds can work but has to be lots of synergy or a really strong elite character to pull it off).

If you want to rush to your win state put in lots of high damage fast cards. Things that cost 0 mostly with some 1's ,2's and maybe a 3 or two. I aim for no more that 14 upgrades, unless you playing FN. Fill out the deck with events that help push you to your goal, or prevent damage giving you more time.

Last pick a battleground, you can choose one that won't hurt your deck when you opponent claims it (for a slow deck). If you are playing 2 chars, maz or emperor choose one you think you will claim.

Play 3 games with your deck. If you lose all of them, remove cards that aren't helping you win. Play 3 more games, rinse repeat till you feel the deck is the best you make it then move on .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Phan
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mb
Really awesome advice on strategy, Joshua, thanks so much for sharing! I'll have to see if I can apply some of this new-found knowledge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Graham
United Kingdom
Andover
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Thomas,

A great way to get used to the game as well as all the cards, without sinking a chunk load of money straight away, is to try it out on TTS:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/Tabletop_Simulator/

Once you've determined which deck you enjoy after customising it from all the available cards on TTS, you'll find most if them in the singles market for reasonable prices (unless it's legendary!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Which way do you go?
mbmbmbmbmb
I always start with a couple questions:

Question 1: What is the main focus of the deck? Agro (damage), Mill (removing cards/resources). All decks should have some level of control (in my opinion).

Question 2: What character combo would be a good (or interesting) combo for fulfilling the main focus of the deck?

After characters are chosen I follow this basic formula:

10 cards upgrades/supports
10 cards core event cards - events that support your characters abilities
10 cards of control - cards that effect your opponents cards/dice/resources

There can be a lot of variation from the basic structure but that is what I start with. I usually lay out the initial card choices in three corresponding rows and then tweak my selections from there.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Phan
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks again for taking the time to read my post and sharing your advice, everyone, I really appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.