Ben Rod
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question primary concerns the interpretation of this rule:

Rulebook page 9: ACTIONS -> 2) Paying and performing immediate effects
"First you must pay the card's cost. The the lower panel of the card shows you any immediate effects. These effects (and other effects triggered by the card you just played) are performed in any order of you choose (emphasis mine)."

Primary Question: What does the phrase "other effects triggered by the card you just played" include? (The situation posed in this thread regarding Giant Ice Asteroid and Arctic Algae is a good example for this discussion.) I think it can be interpreted two ways.

1) It only includes effects triggered by the playing of that card (such as Interplanetary Cinematics's effect "Each time you play an event, you gain 2 MC") and not effects triggered by the played card's effects; or

2) It includes effects triggered by the playing of that card as well as any effects triggered during the entire course of executing that card's "immediate effects" (such as another player's Arctic Algae effect "whenever anyone plays an ocean tile, gain 2 plants")

I apologize in advance if this comes across as nitpicky, but as a former Magic player I appreciate careful syntax. For example, this rule could have perhaps been written as follows (based on the corresponding interpretation):

1) "These immediate effects as well as effects triggered by the playing of the card are performed in any order you choose. However, effects triggered by the card's immediate effects are performed after all the card's immediate effects starting with the active player and continuing clockwise."

2) "These immediate effects as well as effects triggered either by the playing of the card or by the card's immediate effects are performed in any order you choose."

Thank you in advance for your thoughts. I appreciate it and hope that even one other person thinks this question is worth consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything triggered happens in the order chosen by the active player.

So if a card removes plants and places an ocean, the player can choose to place the ocean, trigger Another players Arctic Algae and then remove the now gained plants from that player.

Edit: Or, you can choose to place the ocean, remove plants and then let the arctic algae give it's owner 2 plants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Örjan said.

Also, if "any order you choose" isn't clear enough, refer to the final paragraph on page 12:
Rulebook, p.12 wrote:
When several effects are triggered at the same time, the active player chooses the order, even for other players’ triggered effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rod
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is pretty damn clear! I suppose that I was just really not ready to believe that the active player orchestrated everything. I suspect that my Magic background may have something to do with my reluctance to believe the "all-inclusive" interpretation.

Thank you both for your prompt and compelling posts! I consider this issue to be fully resolved for me. ^__^

Snapshot wrote:
What Örjan said.

Also, if "any order you choose" isn't clear enough, refer to the final paragraph on page 12:
Rulebook, p.12 wrote:
When several effects are triggered at the same time, the active player chooses the order, even for other players’ triggered effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.