26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Scenario Hiding App rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
I'm working on a scenario hiding (free) app that will work on android / iOS / kindle / pc / mac etc. It works in a similar way to the scenario PDF that was created with the hidden sections that you tap to show and you can zoom in with pinch / drag etc for smaller devices.

Beyond the basic tap to hide / show each section, if you have any other ideas that would be useful just let me know. I'll add the solo scenarios along with the kickstarter 2 scenarios as well but initially it is just the main scenario book

rvg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Avikainen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps a possibility to set the number of characters in settings and have the app show only the corresponding enemy placements?

Or being able to tap a numbered treasure chest when looting and have the app show the reward instead of having to search for it in the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
Those are both really good ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Sounds great Roy. The limitations of the pdf format, particularly the lack of cross platform support is annoying.

Some suggestions:
- Provide a list/thumbnails of all the required tiles (map, door, obstacle & monster), so everything can be pulled out if the box right at the start.
- Make the hidden sections optional - some people setup scenarios differently, but may still find the app useful.

If you haven't seen it yet, the content creation pack has all the images, tiles etc. you will need: Files for creation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of that so that helped out. The map tiles are shown by default and so are the monsters, obstacles etc.

The programming is all done, just grunt work now going through all the scenarios but should be able to get this released in a couple of weeks or so, maybe less if Gloomhaven 2nd edition doesn't arrive quickly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shin Nai
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
That sounds amazing! Have you considered the interactive world map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Let me know if you need any help with testing Roy. My copy of GH probably won't be arriving for another month

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim KN
msg tools
when it is in german too, it will be great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
Magelan wrote:
when it is in german too, it will be great

It could provide an interface for volunteers to add translations for different languages that others can then select and maybe also correct. This would surely be a nice feature for a lot of non-English players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
The app still uses the images from the pdf with tappable overlays so if the translation keeps everything in the same place then it would be simple to allow for German. If things are moved around then it is more work so we will see.

It would also need to be a different download because the app is already over 100MB because I want the image quality to be good enough to zoom in quite a bit so rather than add another 100MB of images for each language it would just be a different build.

But first going to focus on English. Once I have a bit more done I'll post here looking for testers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
Might make it more clear if I post a couple of screenshots

This is how Scenario 2 looks when you launch it - scenarios with more than 1 page have the Next Page button:

Spoiler Tag in case you don't want to see the basic setup of Scenario 2. Make sure to right click - open new tab on the image and then choose Original Size when you view the image

Spoiler (click to reveal)

And if your eyes aren't what they used to be and you can't see the Map tiles or anything else needed in the book, here they are zoomed

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Libs Ly
France
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe hide the monsters that will eventually come into play.
As well as the overlays tiles.

It does give some hints as to what expect... at least, that's how I feel. I'm only 3 scenarios in, but I do try to avoid as much as possible to look at those portraits.

I know it does help with setting up, but for the ones who want the "real deal", it'd be awesome !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
I could definitely do that, thanks for the idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
There we go, updated to have Monster and Token sections if you want it all hidden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Libs wrote:

I started to do that with the interactive PDF scenarios, but it got very difficult very quickly. In some scenarios there are branching paths so you don't know when the player will need to unhide which monster. Also monsters can summon other monsters, so when will they be unhidden? There really is no simple monster-room correlation. The only way I could think of would be to individually hide each monster on the map and reference them back to the monster legend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Looks great Roy.

Here is my suggestion:
Make the map the centre of the page with the hidden sections that you can click on. Remove all of the text from the image and make it actual text that you can display in a popup when required. This way the text can easily be translated in to different languages. The other problem I found was that text was split into different sections, sometimes over multiple pages. Pulling the text out would both cut down on the hidden sections required and also get all the relevant text in one place. If you like the idea, I am happy to help out wherever you need assistance - can copy all the text from the scenario book into files for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
I figure the only way to do this without putting a massive amount of work into it is keep the monster panel hidden and as you open rooms see which monsters are there based on the icon - bit more work trying to figure out what the monster is but not too hard especially if you've already encountered them before

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
tds_gaming wrote:
Looks great Roy.

Here is my suggestion:
Make the map the centre of the page with the hidden sections that you can click on. Remove all of the text from the image and make it actual text that you can display in a popup when required. This way the text can easily be translated in to different languages. The other problem I found was that text was split into different sections, sometimes over multiple pages. Pulling the text out would both cut down on the hidden sections required and also get all the relevant text in one place. If you like the idea, I am happy to help out wherever you need assistance - can copy all the text from the scenario book into files for example.

That probably is the way to do it... Much bigger project though. The current one will end up being about 40 hours or so, doing it this and doing it properly with monsters appearing based on the number of players and allowing for multiple languages will easily add 100 hours to it. As a bonus, the file size would be quite small so I could easily pack as many translations as people are willing to do into the app.

If Isaac is ok with me charging some sort of nominal fee then I'd definitely do it otherwise that's a LOT of time taken away from my other projects! I'll do the first couple of scenarios and make it a demo and see what he thinks

Roy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would avoid the translation issue currently. The main game isn't in any language but English, so I don't know why people would expect mods/user add ons to be translated.

Of course it is a nice feature, but I think your time would be better spent on other features for the app. Just my .02 as a potential user.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
Looked into the bigger approach but once you go from "covering up areas and letting people toggle them" to the expanded version above it would add a HUGE amount of time and effort to this. I'd rather have something that works well and is available within a couple of weeks that does the job - too bad because that expanded version would be pretty cool.

Roy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
riggert wrote:
tds_gaming wrote:
Looks great Roy.

Here is my suggestion:

That probably is the way to do it... Much bigger project though. The current one will end up being about 40 hours or so, doing it this and doing it properly with monsters appearing based on the number of players and allowing for multiple languages will easily add 100 hours to it. As a bonus, the file size would be quite small so I could easily pack as many translations as people are willing to do into the app.

If Isaac is ok with me charging some sort of nominal fee then I'd definitely do it otherwise that's a LOT of time taken away from my other projects! I'll do the first couple of scenarios and make it a demo and see what he thinks

Roy

Or you could make it open source and hope that others will help...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
The app is released for Android here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.royg...

iOS, PC and Mac will be coming over the next week or so, takes a bit more wait time to get iOS into the store. Let me know what you think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pekka V
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Downloaded, looks great! Will use it going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Mietze
msg tools
riggert wrote:
Let me know what you think

Hey Roy, just found your app yesterday after looking for something exactly like it. I like it so far, except for one less than minor complaint: Your app should use more than one overlay to hide all the enemies in the setup overview, as clicking on it will also reveal potential bosses (in scenario #8 for instance). Maybe you could just link the enemy setup overview to what rooms have been revealed so far? That way you're also not spoiled about non-boss monsters that await you beyond the first room. Keep up the good work, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Luigi Tartaglia
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloederfuchs wrote:
riggert wrote:
Let me know what you think

Hey Roy, just found your app yesterday after looking for something exactly like it. I like it so far, except for one less than minor complaint: Your app should use more than one overlay to hide all the enemies in the setup overview, as clicking on it will also reveal potential bosses (in scenario #8 for instance). Maybe you could just link the enemy setup overview to what rooms have been revealed so far? That way you're also not spoiled about non-boss monsters that await you beyond the first room. Keep up the good work, though!

The problem with this is that:

tds_gaming wrote:
Libs wrote:

I started to do that with the interactive PDF scenarios, but it got very difficult very quickly. In some scenarios there are branching paths so you don't know when the player will need to unhide which monster. Also monsters can summon other monsters, so when will they be unhidden? There really is no simple monster-room correlation. The only way I could think of would be to individually hide each monster on the map and reference them back to the monster legend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.