Subject: Scenario 1v too easy or too lucky? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A G
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day all
I've just bought the game (amazing!) and still learning with rules to be follow correctly. After using a very useful example upload by the designer Jeremy I moved on with Scenario 1v (is any difference compare from Scenario 1 other than be at night rather than day? I mean is any extra steps to follow?)

Please let me know if I made some mistakes

Turn 1
Decide to have Doolittle entering from Tokyo East, then I rolled the dice with a result 2, 5 and 4. So Hoover will join same entry point as well as Holstrom, while Jones will attempt from Yokohama.
No Place hazards as Detonation level is 0 (hazards -3)
End of turn

Turn 2
Airspeed: Doolittle advance into Tokyo West, again no hazards because of Detonation level 0. With approach target managed to enter into Factory, bomb away phase success, so drop a 2 hit marker, flip the B25 and Doolittle is outside of the Target box. End of turn, advanced the detonation to 1

Turn 3
Airspeed: Doolittle move from Tokyo West to Tokyo East (does necessary have to leave from the same place he entered or can he leave the map from another adjacent area like Yokohama?) while Hoover move in into Tokyo East. No Place Hazards because of Detonation Level 1 (-2 hazards). End of turn. (Is now Doolittle out of the map?

Turn 4
Airspeed: Hoover move into Tokyo West, Jones enters into Yokohama. No Place Hazards because of Detonation Level 1 (-2 hazards). Approach: Hoover successfully moved into Target Box of Armory and into Bomb Away succeed with 2 dice with 11 as result, again place 2 hit marker and flipped the B25 token. Advanced the Detonation level to 2 (hazard -1)

Turn 5
Airspeed: Hoover move to Tokyo East, Jones move to Tokyo West, Holstrom enter in Tokyo East.
Place hazards: 2 chits to draw in Tokyo East having Hoover and Holstrom, but removing one because of the Detonation Level 2 (hazard -1). No hazards to be place in Yokohama. Evade the hazard in Tokyo East (it was pulled a no stay hazard to a random B25 (flak) so place into Tokyo East area away from the B25, nothing else to do. Exit: Hoover leave the map.
Approach: Jones entered in Tokyo Gas Electric Box but he missed the bomb away so a hit marker of #1 has been place into the area of Tokyo West. End of turn moving detonation level to 3 (hazard 0)

Turn 6
Airspeed: Holstrom move to Tokyo West and Jones is back to Yokohama, now with Detonation Level 0 (hazard 0) one chit per B25 in area have been pulled on Place Hazard Phase. Having both B25 in different area, both of them evades the hazards, lucky me the hazards are no stay and I placed them to the area instead. During the approach target both of the B25s succeed to enter on their Target box. At the Bomb away phase a success roll was achieve having 2 hit marker on their respective Target box. End of turn moving Detonation level from 3 to 5

Turn 7
Airspeed: Holstrom move to Tokyio East and Jones down to Yokosuka.
Place hazards: 2 hazards to be draw now on each B25 area. Lucky for Holtrom both of them are Target Box assigned, while Jones had a flak (no stay) and a Target Box marker (where do you actually place a Target Box hazard marker in Yokosuka if no Target Box available?
Exit: both B25 leave the map

End of Scenario

….did I play correctly? Many thanks in advance for your support

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenarios 1-6 are pretty easy, because you're getting set up with pretty much the best situation possible. So it feels like nothing can go wrong.
But once you start with scenario 7 (fligh segment!), you'll see that when you get to the attack segment, things are not so easy -- because your flight segment had consequences on what will happen later.
But then you'll feel like the flight segment is a bit easy... until you play scenario 9, where you must do the naval segment first -- and that will create some difficulties for your flight segment, which in turn will create even more difficulties when you finally reach the attack segment.
(The first time I played with the naval segment, I only had three detonations in Japan. In total. I had really messed up my naval segment and had to do a pretty disastrous emergency launch... Let's just say that not many planes reached Japan to begin with.)

And when you finally get into scenario 10, where you plan (and mess up!) stuff from the beginning, the dominoes will start to fall: your naval segment will be less than perfect, which in turn will compromise your flight segment, which in turn might make your life a nightmare when you finally get to attacking Japan.

I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geneprio wrote:
(where do you actually place a Target Box hazard marker in Yokosuka if no Target Box available?

It just goes back to the cup. Don't draw another one to replace it!
You got lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy (Jerry) White
msg tools
designer
Seems correct.

A word about Scenario 1v. It was included in the box to show what might have been. Doolittle was keen to expose his squadron to as little danger as possible, and a night attack seemed to him like a good way to achieve that. At Eglin Field, he put the squadron through quite a bit of night flying in preparation for this kind of attack, so much that some of the crew speculated they were heading to Europe. The RAF's Bomber Command had committed to night flying, and Eglin is on the East coast, so it was an easy association to make.

The details of the attack plan were still being sketched out when B-25s were loaded onto the carrier deck, and they continued to be drafted and sketched during the ocean voyage. Doolittle loaded his B-25 with incendiaries, unlike other B-25s, because his was to be the lead plane, and part of his job was to mark the target for the rest of the squadron. This "mark" in the landscape would have been easier to read had they gone through with a night attack, had the incendiaries ignited a fire, but he did create a plume of smoke followed by other crews.

So, this scenario is predicated on Doolittle's night attack plan. The hazards used at night are a different set from those used during the day, and so is the Target Map. Its values are different, as I am sure you noticed, and the distribution of hazard types are different in the night set. The design premise was A) attacking at night makes locating targets more difficult, and B) attacking at night is safer for the attackers. (By using a separate set of hazards and a new target map, no night rules needed to be created; I thought this might be easier on the player; besides, there are enough player aids in the game and we really don't need one devoted to night rules.)

All this to say that Scenario 1v is easier than Scenario 1. You are welcome to convert Scenario 2, 3, and 4 to night variants too. I suggest reducing the Alert Level to zero, in order to assume complete surprise from a planned launch. String the scenarios together by leaving 'stay' icons in place and allowing the Detonations marker to remain where it is when you commence the next scenario. By the time you are contending with plenty of hazards, the higher Approach numbers in Target Boxes, coupled with the hazards, should make that last scenario a challenge. For outcomes, strive for two goals: do not lose any bombers, and get all Blast markers in Target Boxes.

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy (Jerry) White
msg tools
designer
weishaupt wrote:
Geneprio wrote:
(where do you actually place a Target Box hazard marker in Yokosuka if no Target Box available?

It just goes back to the cup. Don't draw another one to replace it!
You got lucky.

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for your fast response, my main concern was assure I was doing right so I appreciate your all response. As anticipated this is one of my first hardcore game, at least from my side. Rules and documents inside the box are well clear especially for me as a non English mother tongue. If you don't mind a couple of more questions...
1) Whatever chit you draw (B25 assigned) as long as it is evade it do you have to care about it? If it is a STAY chit do you have to activate during its phase at its area if any B25 present?
2) If you have a stay chit assigned to your B25 independently of the type, can you still attack a target box and exit from a map?
3) After a bomb away released can you exit from the map directly from that area next turn on Exit phase?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefanos Pallas
Greece
Trikala
flag msg tools
badge
Achilles and Ajax playing a boardgame
mbmbmbmbmb
Geneprio wrote:
If you don't mind a couple of more questions...
1) Whatever chit you draw (B25 assigned) as long as it is evade it do you have to care about it? If it is a STAY chit do you have to activate during its phase at its area if any B25 present?
2) If you have a stay chit assigned to your B25 independently of the type, can you still attack a target box and exit from a map?
3) After a bomb away released can you exit from the map directly from that area next turn on Exit phase?

Apologies, Geneprio, for taking advantage of your thread but I'd like to add another question to yours...

4) When a plane enters the map on a given turn, is it supposed to do it before or after the "Airspeed" phase?
E.g. Hoover enters the map in Tokyo East on T3. Does he have to stay there until the end of T3 and wait for the next Airspeed phase or he must move to an adjacent area as soon as he enters the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stefanos, if you look at the file uploaded by Jerry the B25 enters at the Airspeed phase, so till T3 is off the map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geneprio wrote:
Thank you so much for your fast response, my main concern was assure I was doing right so I appreciate your all response. As anticipated this is one of my first hardcore game, at least from my side. Rules and documents inside the box are well clear especially for me as a non English mother tongue. If you don't mind a couple of more questions...

Thanks

1) Hazards not attached to B-25s after the evade phase go back to the cup.
2) I believe so. The chit stays in that particular area/target box, IIRC.
3) Yes, as long as it's a periphery area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy (Jerry) White
msg tools
designer
Correct, mostly (see 3 below).

1. The only time a hazard on the Target Map affects a B-25 is when it is assigned to that B-25. Evading allows you to un-assign a hazard. Attachment is a more extreme or permanent form of assignment, which is to say, an attached hazard is considered to be an assigned hazard. It too may be evaded, thereby detaching and un-assigning it.

2. A hazard with the 's' (stay) icon remains in play on the map, either in its area, or, if a Target Map hazard (red box icon), in its Target Box. All Target Box Hazards have the 's' (stay) icon. In an area, a hazard that is not assigned to a B-25, does not affect the B-25. However, hazards in Target Boxes will affect any B-25 that enters the box, AND, in the case of hazards with Approach modifiers, they also affect a B-25's ability to enter the box.

3. Not quite. The Exit Phase happens before the Bombs Away Phase, so a B-25 can't exit on the same turn it releases ordnance (I think we are in agreement on this). The Airspeed Phase requires each B-25 to move to an adjacent area. Thus, a B-25 can't exit from the same area it released ordnance, UNLESS it returns to that area two or more turns later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again thank you for the clarifications much appreciate, I moved on with Scenario 2...what a disaster!! A doubt regarding few issue rose during the turns

As per manual each Area has a maximum number of hazard markers, but too soon I reached that maximum limit.
1) How many hazard markers can I apply for each Target Box?
2) If the limit is reached is this mean I no longer pull any hazard markers? In detail if in Tokyo West I have a Hazard Marker on each Target Box but still hidden and 2 reveled Stay Hazard Marker in that area so the limit reached what to do?
3) The Stay hazard marker attached to the B25 stay even while moving from one area to another?
3) Can you evade an interceptor assigned during the Placement Phase?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy (Jerry) White
msg tools
designer
1. For each Target Box, there is no limit per se. The limit is per area, and that "Hazard Limit" applies to the number of Hazard markers drawn (or "pulled"). For example, if the "Hazards max." is 5, you can't draw more than 5 Hazard markers in that area during a single Place Hazards Phase, regardless of the number of B-25s there and the Detonations track. If you are asking about how many hazards can go in a Target Box, there is no limit, EXCEPT, they should be distributed evenly among the Target Boxes in an area. So, for example, if you draw a Hazard marker and it has the red box icon, meaning it belongs in a Target Box, you can place it in any Target Box in that area. If one of the boxes already has a Hazard marker in it, that new hazard should go in another box.

2. Again, you may be confusing the number of hazards in an area (including its Target Boxes), with the number of hazards to be drawn (or "pulled") from the cup. The Hazards Limit restricts the number of Hazard markers pulled from the cup, but it does NOT limit the number of Hazard markers that may accumulate in an area or its Target Boxes. There is no limit for that.

3. No. Once the effect of the hazard is "resolved," it is no longer considered assigned to the B-25. It goes back into the cup, UNLESS marked with the 's' (stay) icon, in which case it remains in the area or Target Box. Rule 4.6.1 explains this, reinforced by 4.6.3, and on p.27 there is a glossary note in the margins, but I can see that I should have been more explicit about what happens when an 's' (stay) hazard is resolved.

Here is an example: A flak hazard (5-6) with an 's' (stay) icon is assigned to a B-25. For whatever reason, it is not evaded. So, in the Resolve Hazards Phase, the player rolls two dice to resolve its attack. After rolling the dice and applying the effect, if any, that Hazard marker is no longer assigned to the B-25. Next turn, during the Airspeed Phase, the B-25 moves to another area and the flak hazard stays in the area, to be assigned to the next B-25 that flies into its area.

4. Yes, an interceptor may be evaded. Even if the interceptor is attached to a B-25, that B-25 may evade it. Keep in mind that evasion is per area, and not per B-25. So, if the Evasion Rating is 1 (the default rating in all scenarios except 10), only one Hazard marker may be evaded in each area, regardless of the number of B-25s in an area.

Thanks for being patient with the rules. Learning the game through a second language has got to be challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I knew there was something wrong! I misread the rules my bad
I have to thank you for your patience and guiding me so closely.

One last thing: in scenario 2 at the setup you have a 2 hit marker on Tokyo Gas Electric Target Box, so I assumed that Target has been destroyed already, can you bomb more than once a Target box? Otherwise I could not explain how you can get more than 3 blasts of value 2 in Tokyo West, unless that is count already at the debriefing chart
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefanos Pallas
Greece
Trikala
flag msg tools
badge
Achilles and Ajax playing a boardgame
mbmbmbmbmb
Geneprio wrote:
One last thing: in scenario 2 at the setup you have a 2 hit marker on Tokyo Gas Electric Target Box, so I assumed that Target has been destroyed already, can you bomb more than once a Target box?

I guess that the answer to your question is Yes.
I've reached this conclusion reading the 4.9.4 Successful Detonation Check. If the Detonation Check is successful, place a Blast Marker in the Target Box, at Blast Value 2 (or increase a Blast marker already in that box by 2).
Additionally, at the Approach Check (A1) Player Aid you can read that there is a modifier +1 if one or more blast markers are in the Target Box.
So, I think that's the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. Today I felt brave and I setup Scenario 7....wow that’s a lot of stuff involved, I gave up almost immediately, need more deep reading at the manual, luckily there is a Scenario 10 to follow as example

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy (Jerry) White
msg tools
designer
stepal wrote:
Geneprio wrote:
One last thing: in scenario 2 at the setup you have a 2 hit marker on Tokyo Gas Electric Target Box, so I assumed that Target has been destroyed already, can you bomb more than once a Target box?

I guess that the answer to your question is Yes.
I've reached this conclusion reading the 4.9.4 Successful Detonation Check. If the Detonation Check is successful, place a Blast Marker in the Target Box, at Blast Value 2 (or increase a Blast marker already in that box by 2).
Additionally, at the Approach Check (A1) Player Aid you can read that there is a modifier +1 if one or more blast markers are in the Target Box.
So, I think that's the case.

Right. Unlike a dam in the Dambuster Raid, the targets here can never be considered completely wiped out. More than one Blast marker may be placed in a Target Box, and new Hazard markers may be placed in Target Boxes with Blast markers in them. If a volatile target hazard appears, it could mean the damage already sustained is what makes the target volatile. A reinforced concrete hazard could mean that the previous blast knocked out the soft bits of the target and all that remains are the tough bits. Searchlights or flak placed after a detonation could mean that locale is now very much alert, and a balloons hazard that suddenly appears in a Target Box after a detonation means the only viable trajectory to hit what remains of the target is protected by balloons.

Although you can never be sure a target has been obliterated, there is a distinction between a Blast Value of 2 and 3, as you may have noticed reading the Debriefing Manual. A 3 can only be achieved by more than one successful detonation, unless playing Scenario 10 and you make the choice for extra ordnance. That choice implicates a larger strategic plan involving fuel and other considerations.

When contemplating strategy in Scenario 10, you have two basic choices: spread the damage to make as large a footprint as possible, or, focus damage in few spots, making a different sort of impression. By upping the ordnance to 3, you have the ability to attempt both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ccwyxx c
msg tools
mbmb
It's always easy for the first flight or two... as more strikes drones on.. it'll get very nasty. The attack phase is quite realistic, when the jap stirs up and response, it will become very dangerous very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.