Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Just read the rules and played 3 rounds of this game with my gaming group and had some minor clarifications that I need help with.

1. Can a player send as many priests to the same cult track i.e. theoretically 4 priests to the same cult track (Assuming no one else has sent their priest to that cult)
2. The reward for sanctuary seems pretty unattractive for the resources spent and the route taken- just gain a priest in the income phase? or Did we miss something?-
3. There is a Hex symbol with 3 colored hexes within underneath the Sanctuary...does it have any meaning?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
Hi All,

Just read the rules and played 3 rounds of this game with my gaming group and had some minor clarifications that I need help with.

1. Can a player send as many priests to the same cult track i.e. theoretically 4 priests to the same cult track (Assuming no one else has sent their priest to that cult)
2. The reward for sanctuary seems pretty unattractive for the resources spent and the route taken- just gain a priest in the income phase? or Did we miss something?-
3. There is a Hex symbol with 3 colored hexes within underneath the Sanctuary...does it have any meaning?

Thanks a lot for the help.

1: yes

2: A. Building the sanctuary gives another favor tile (just like building a temple)
B. Worth three power towards forming a town (like the stronghold)
C. Can score you points for certain round scoring and bonus tile scoring
D. Allows you to form a town which it is part of with only three structures rather than four (only applies to the town it is physically in, not all your towns).

3: see D above.

3 gets asked A LOT
Building a santuary
sanctuary...whats the favor of this?
Sanctuary build question
Building a Sanctuary - what's that icon??
Icon help - the one under the Sanctuary.
What does the icon under the Sanctuary mean?
Sanctuary income
Quick question - Symbol under Sanctuary
Sactuary symbol
Symbol covered by the Sanctuary?
Sanctuary?
sanctuary ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The benefits of building a Sanctuary - especially given its cost - do seem marginal at best when you first play the game. But it does give considerable benefits which I promise you will come to appreciate if you play the game more. (The most significant is probably the fact that you can get a town with only 3 hexes.)

I've played well over 300 games online (and at least several dozen IRL), and there are *very* few games where I don't build the Sanctuary at some point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:

See Terra mystica game page -> More... -> Community Wiki, 4:th line: "What does the icon under the Sanctuary mean?". Now you are on this list too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
For sake of completeness of potential sources for this type of information, there's also the Terra Mystica FAQ. E.g. the 3-hex Sanctuary question is covered here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Myers
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the Sanctuary, note that some factions (Darklings and Swarmlings) get 2 priests of income from it, as opposed to just one from a temple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sprockitz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
madhujith wrote:

grant mentioned a lot of the points, but also don't forget you get a favor when you build it, which are quite valuable.

Plus when you consider what it takes to get another temple versus the sanctuary, the sanctuary is actually cheaper.

To get a temple from the ground up, you need to first get a spot you can build a dwelling on, then pay for the dwelling, trading post and temple. For standard factions, the buildings alone cost 5w & 10c which is more than the sanctuary.

Now the 2nd temple gives you an extra priest as income, which may make it worth it if you are really looking for priest income. So the decision of which to build first is really situational, which makes it interesting! Now for Darklings and Swarmlings the sanctuary is almost always better because they give 2 priest income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.