Subject: Anton Spirit A rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JimJam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
How do you define "boardgame addiction"?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anton's Spirit A reads
Quote:
If there is at least 1 Book in the Storage, lower Anton's Misery by 1 (if he is miserable) and raise his Fatigue by 1

So if there is a book in the storage but Anton has 0 Misery does he read the book? The "And" is after the parentheses so I'm unclear if the fatigue triggers when he is perfectly happy. It sounds to me like he reads the book because it's in the storage, you don't lower his misery (because its already at 0) and still raise the fatigue.

On my last playthrough he was at 0 Misery and 3 fatigue when Spirit A came up, so I couldn't believe that he would read himself to death when he was exhausted but not miserable.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it like you understood it. Just to be sure, if you didn't play/read further... fatigue 4 doesn't mean, that a character dies. The character is just that tired, that sleeping is the only thing a character can do, if he/she reaches that level (be it actions during the day or doing nothing but sleeping during the night (however the character finishes whatever he/she was doing that increased his/her fatigue to 4 before the character falls asleep)).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Anton's gonna read when he wants to read. He did this more than once my last game and ended up sleeping for most of the day instead of helping out around the shelter.

I can't help but relate, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If his misery is at 0, I doubt he'd read. Some things like this you play to what makes sense, in this case it would make no sense for him to read to be happy if he already is as happy as he can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
If his misery is at 0, I doubt he'd read. Some things like this you play to what makes sense, in this case it would make no sense for him to read to be happy if he already is as happy as he can be.

Hard for me to wrap my mind around someone killing themselves for lack of access to coffee, but that's happened in one of my games.

I think if it were meant to only affect him with Misery 1+, it would have been trivial to add that text. I read all the time for a lot of reasons, not just because it makes me happy. I assume Anton has the same relationship with reading that I do. Maybe I'm projecting, I dunno, I just think this is a case of rules as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
Hard for me to wrap my mind around someone killing themselves for lack of access to coffee, but that's happened in one of my games.

I think if it were meant to only affect him with Misery 1+, it would have been trivial to add that text. I read all the time for a lot of reasons, not just because it makes me happy. I assume Anton has the same relationship with reading that I do. Maybe I'm projecting, I dunno, I just think this is a case of rules as written.

This is two different fate effects...
With the coffee example, it's written as "Discard 1 Coffee from the Storage or raise Misery by 1. It's a result of no Coffee causing Misery, it makes sense. Drink coffee, or get Miserable. Even if Misery is at 0.

With Anton it's not 'Read a Book or get Miserable' it's 'Read a Book to get Happier'. But not doing so doesn't increase his Misery.

The difference is that when both are at 0 one will go up unless the fate is resolved successfully, while the other won't increase regardless of the fate's outcome.

You can't lower Misery lower than 0 so there's no reason to Read a Book here. And I would think the added Fatigue is from taking the time to read.

His card would have been better written as "(if he is miserable) If there is at least 1 Book in the Storage, lower Anton's Misery by 1 (if he is miserable) and raise his Fatigue by 1." But I don't think the wording as written is to mean he gets tired for all instances of Fate A, even when not needing to utilize the Misery lowering part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Niewiadomski
Poland
Lodz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he just reads the books whenever they are available, and as an extra, if he is miserable, he loses one level of it. It's a very weird kind of addiction, he sleeps less just because he likes reading so much and it helps him forget about the conflict. He most likely loses the track of time when reading. It's a drawback, that can be easily controlled (by getting rid of the book for example) and turned into a small benefit.

Don't see any space for interpretation here. If there is a book, he reads it, which makes him gain fatigue and lose misery.

But for houserules, that's another story. A good one would indeed be to make him not read if he can't profit from this. That's if we can't really swallow it as an erratic behavior. I play by RAW in this case, treating it as Anton's gimmick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.