Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #3» Forums » Sessions

Subject: S23: Monty's Gamble rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kilgore Trout
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario takes place during the middle of what became known as “The Battle of Arnhem”, part of the overall Operation Market-Garden. While the British troops continue to wait days for the arrival of 30 Corps, they must defend their perimeters. Using a novel approach to provide Concealment to ASLSK, the scant British force (only 4 full MMC units and 2 guns) are emplaced and hidden in town, waiting for the Germans to approach.

[/q]

Date: September 20, 1944

Participants:

British: South Staffordshire Regiment (2nd Battalion)
German: SS Kampfgruppe Harder

ROAR:
At time of writing, British win 67% of the time.

Special Rules:
• All British units (with restrictions) may set up HIP.
• British 9-1 leader can apply leadership to 6 pounder AT gun.
• Elite and 1st line British do not cower.
• Two German StuG AFV start game with CMG gun disabled.

Victory Conditions:
Germans must exit at least 17VP worth of units off west edge of map.

Introduced This Scenario:

British PIAT, or “Projector, Infantry, Anti Tank”

[/q]

Here’s a link to brief video explaining the PIAT’s strengths and weaknesses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJPZX9QtXAQ

This spigot HEAT launcher has a maximum range of 3 and uses its own TH table on the back of the counter. It has a TK# of 15 for vehicles and, if hitting infantry in a building, attacks on the 8 column of the IFT.

British Ordnance QF 6-Pounder

[/q]

• 57mm Anti-tank gun.
• ROF of 3
• Quick Set Up (QSU) capability. (May be moved)
• Manhandling factor of 10
• HE with depletion of “8” available this scenario. Can only be used against infantry in buildings or against Guns and AFV.
• APDS (Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot) available this scenario with depletion 6. (Uses the 1FP column on IFT versus infantry).
• Small target (white circle under manhandling factor).

[/q]

Video of modern Czech enthusiasts firing a restored 6-pounder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qqp0K_itBc

German Sturmgeschütz Ausführung G (StuG) IIIG
This variant was Germany's most-produced armored fighting vehicle during World War II.

[/q]

[/q]

• No Turret
• ROF: 1
• 75mm MA, “L” gun velocity
• 13 Movement Points (MP)
• Fully tracked AFV
• Ground Pressure: Normal
• Front Armor Factors: 8 Hull, 8 Turret
• Side/Rear Armor Factors: 3 Hull, 3 Turret
• Target Size: Small (white background behind 8)
• CMG w/ 4FP, VCA only. (Disabled at start of this scenario).
• AAMG w/ 1FP, VCA only. Must be CE to use.
• APCR Depletion Number this Scenario: 4
• Sz - Vehicle may be equipped with Schuerzen. Not used in ASLSK.
• Vehicle as sN (Smoke Nahverteidigungswaffe) factor of 9. Must be BU to use.
• Ordnance Smoke factor: 8
• “CS 4” – not used in ASLSK

[/q]

Here is a video of a Stug IIIg rolling through a modern town in Europe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kDRH8x_r4g

German Sturmhaubitze 42 (StuH 42) Self Propelled Howitzer.

[/q]

[/q]

• No Turret
• No ROF.
• 105mm MA, “L” gun velocity
• AP (Armor Piercing) rounds not available (Line on top of 105)
• 13 Movement Points (MP)
• Fully tracked AFV
• Ground Pressure: High (Circle around ‘F’ in upper left)
• Front Armor Factors: 8 Hull, 8 Turret
• Side/Rear Armor Factors: 3 Hull, 3 Turret
• Target Size: Small (white background behind 8)
• AAMG w/ 2FP, VCA only. Must be CE to use.
• Sz - Vehicle may be equipped with Schuerzen. Not used in ASLSK.
• Vehicle as sD (Smoke Discharger) factor of 7.
• Ordnance Smoke factor: 9
• “CS 4” – not used in ASLSK
• HEAT available, with factor 9.
• Smoke Discharger (sD) factor: 7

[/q]

This link shows a modern re-enactment battle taking place with a StuH 42 participating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d7GEett8Jw

Setup:

Following SSR1, all British units (with restrictions) will set up HIP. Until such time as the British move, fire, or are “discovered” by a German unit attempting to enter their hex, their location will not be revealed. This should create some excellent opportunities for surprise, point blank fire by the meager British defensive force.

[/q]

Key for British HIP units to start this scenario.

The Germans will enter the board from the East and attempt to sweep through the town and exit the board to the West. In General, I’ll lead with squads just out in front of the StuG AFVs to try and ferret out any of the HIP squads before they can do damage to my vehicles.

Turn 1

RPh: German troops deploy along Hexrow Q to begin on East side. Neither StuG gets MG repair.

PFPh: NA

MPh: Q10-M10
Q8-M8
Q8-N9
Q7-N6
Q6-N5
Q5-M5
Q2-M2
StuG(b) in Q1 is in MOTION. Moves Q1-N2 (3MP) and the British reveal themselves in M3 for DFF with the PIAT.
R:1, TH:9(+3 C#24, +1 C#22), DR ‘1-1’ for CRITICAL HIT. This doubles the PIAT TK# to 30. Target hit in hull front, TK#(30-8)=22. DR ‘6-1’ destroys the StuG(b).

StuG(a) in Q9 is in MOTION. Moves Q9-K8, remains in MOTION.
StuH is in Q4 in MOTION. Moves Q4-L6, remains in MOTION.

DFPh: M3(PBF)-M2, 8FP/+0, DR ‘1-1’, British do not cower, 1KIA. German 4-4-7 MMC is eliminated.

AFPh: N6-M3, 3.5FP/+3, NE
M5&N5(FG)-M3, 7FP/+3, NE

RtPh: NA
APh: M8-L8 (Runs into HIP British, revealing stack). German moved back to M8 and movement ends.
M10-L10
N9-M9 (Runs into HIP British, revealing stack). German moved back to N9 and movement ends.
M6-M7, M5-L5, N5-M5

CCPh: NA

[/q]

End of German turn 1 – complete victory for the British to start the match. Two consecutive ‘1-1’ DR eliminate one of the German StuGs and one 4-4-7 squad. Any strategy can come off as brilliant as long as they keep up the snake-eyes rolls. The Germans cautiously advance and reveal two more British positions to the south. The rest of the Advance Phase was dedicated to finding quick cover now that there are suddenly enemy troops coming from all directions.

BT1

RPh: NA
PFPh: M9-N9(PBF), 8FP/+0, NE
L8-M8(PBF), 12FP/-1, PTC, Germans pass.

MPh: M3(AM)-L2

DFPh: L10-L8, 4FP/+3, NE
N9-M9(PBF), 8FP/+3, NE
M8-L8(PBF), 4FP/+3, NE
K8-L8 (StuG rotates to take shot at British troops). TH:10(+4 C#8, +1 C#13, +3 C#17, etc). The Germans can’t possibly hit the British while in Motion during the Defensive Fire phase.
M7-L8, 7FP/+2, NE
M5-L8, 7FP/+4, NE
L5-L8, 7FP/+3, DR ’6-6’ and German LMG malfunctions.

AFPh: NA
APh: L2-K2

[/q]
End of Turn 1. The British and Germans take turn taking ineffective shots at each other. Their collective firepower isn’t enough to overcome +3 defensive positions inside the stone buildings. The British are, however, delaying the Germans.

Turn 2
GT2

RPh: The attempt to repair the German LMG fails and it is permanently disabled.

MPh: StuH(L6) moves to J3 and stops. British opt for DFF (PIAT) K2-J3, R:2, TH:7(+3 C#24, +1 C#22), DR is ‘2-2’ for MISS.
The StuH next attempt sD(7) and is successful, laying down SMOKE in its hex and providing cover for the ground troops to pass behind it.
M5(CX)-J4
L5(CX)-I5

StuG(b) in K8 moves to G8 (6MP). At this point, the British GUN in E8 comes out of HIP to take a shot at the moving German AFV. E8(GUN)-G8, R:2, TH:10(-1 C#6 per SSR, +1 C#22, +2 C#24). DR is ‘6-6’ for MISS and malfunctioned Gun!

The StuG delays and stops to end its turn in G8.

M8-L7, DFF L8-L7, 12FP/-3, DR ‘6-6’!! for NMC. Germans break and are ELR’d. British LMG malfunctions.

L10-I10
M7-L5

DFPh: M9-N9(PBF), 8FP/+0, NMC, Germans break.
K2-J4, 4FP/+2, NE

AFPh: StuG(b) G8-E8, R:2, TH:9(+1 C#13, +5 C#14) DR ‘6-2’ for MISS but places acq counter.
I10-L8, 2FP/+3, NE
L5-L8, 3.5FP/+2, NE
StuH, J3-K2, R:2, TH:9(+1 C#13, +3 C#18, +5 C#14) can’t possibly hit, but fires to place acq counter.

RtPh: Germans: N9-N10, L7-M7
APh: I5-H5, J4-I5, L5-K5, H10-H9

[/q]
End of German Turn 2 – The British success begins to falter as their former ‘1-1’ rolls are less effective when rolling ‘6-6’. The Germans intend to invest a turn or two to pick on the malfunctioning British Gun. The rest of the Germans continue to edge westward; their priority is movement rather than stopping to pick off the already-identified Allied squads.

BT2

RPh: British LMG repaired in L8. Attempt to repair 6-pounder Gun in E8 fails with dr of ‘6’. Counter is eliminated.

MPh: K2(AM)-J1, DFF K5-J1, 7FP/+5, NE
DFF StuH (J3-J1 with ITT), R:2, TH:9(+1 C#13, +3 C#17, +3 C#18, -1 C#21) DR ‘4-5’ for MISS.

E8-D7, out of LOS from G8 and loses Acq counter.
L8-J7, SFF K5-J7, 3.5FP/-1, DR ‘6-6’ for NE and Malf German LMG
J7 continues to I7, DFF H5&I5(FG)-I7, 11FP/+3, NE
M9-L8, DFF H9-L8, 4FP/+2, NE
L8 continues to J7, SFF H9-J7, 2FP/-1, NMC, British break.

DFPh: NA
AFPh: I7-H5, 3FP/+2, NE
J1-J3(PIAT), R:2, TH:7(+2 C#18, +1 C#22, +3 C#1) can’t possibly hit.

RtPh: J7 (4-5-8) is eliminated for failure to rout. Boy, is this a dumb move on my part. I was so eager to move this squad forward and though he was safe. After taking SFF from H9 and breaking, I now realize that this unit doesn’t have a safe path to rout away. I went back to the rulebooks to be sure I realized the difference between Good Order units and Known Enemy Units.

[/q]
The end result is the elimination of one precious MMC for the British.

APh: I7-H7

[/q]
End of Turn 2: The British are reeling after some bad luck and just not enough units to keep the Germans at bay. There is one remaining HIP Gun that awaits the German advance. The Germans have speculated that the gun is either in the woods near C3 or perhaps in the Orchard in E5. To play things safe, and because there is still time, they are going to focus their movement more towards the south-west portion of the board.

Turn 3
GT3

RPh: German CMG on StuG(b) is permanently disabled. German 4-6-7 in N10 Self-rallies.

PFPh: Dispersed SMOKE in J3 is removed.

MPh: StuG(b), starts, moves G8-C6 (5MP). DFF – the British GUN 6-pounder comes out of HIP in hex C3. Fires C3-C6, R:3, TH:10(+1 C#22, #4 C#24), DR ‘1-5’ for MISS and ROF.
StuG(b) cont (6MP) to B5. British Gun fires again, TH:10(+6 C#8 covered arc change in woods, -1 C#20, +3 C#24), DR ‘5-5’ for MISS.
StuG(b) cont (7MP) to A5. British Gun elects INTENSIVE FIRE TH:10(-2 C#20, +2 C#9, +3 C#24), DR ‘4-5’ for MISS.
StuG(b) continues off of board for 7VP.

H9(CX)-B10
StuH (J3) starts (1MP). DFF(PIAT) TH:7(+1 C#22), DR ‘4-4’ for MISS.
StuH cont to F7 (11MP, VCA E7/F6), is successful with sD(7) SMOKE and stops (13MP).

N10(CX)-I8, DFF H7-I8(PBF), 12FP/+1, NE
SFF H7-I8(PBF), 6FP/+1, 1MC, German passes.

H5-E6, DFF D7-E6, 2FP/+1, NE
I5-F5
K5-F7

AFPh: I8-H7(PBF), 4FP/+4, NE
E6-D7, 2FP/+2, NE

APh: B10-A10, E6-D6, F5-E6, F7-E8

[/q]
End of German Turn 3. The British Gun in C3 had 3 chances to stop the German AFV, but missed. The PIAT miss was also a lost opportunity to eliminate the moving StuH. German units are now making run to the west and there isn’t enough British firepower to stop them.

BT3

RPh: German LMG repaired in E8

PFPh: D7-D6(PBF), 4FP/-1, NE
H7-I8(PFG), 12FP/+2, NMC, Germans pass.

MPh: British GUN in C3 attempts move via MANHANDLING to C4. M:10(+1 Open Ground), DR ‘5-5’ for no movement.
J1(CX)-D4
L3(CX)-F3

DFPh: E8-D7(PBF), 14FP/+1, PTC, UK Leader and squad pass.
D6&E6(FG)-D7, 15FP/+2, 1MC, UK leader and squad miss MC and break.
I8-H7(PBF), 8FP/+4, NE

AFPh: C3(GUN)-A10, R:8, TH:7(+3 C#1, +1 C#18), DR ‘5-4’ for MISS.

RtPh: British in D7 are eliminated for Failure to Rout (Germans in D6, E8 and A10).

APh: D4-C5, F3-E4, H7-I8(CC)

CCPh: In I8, No Ambush, UK 5FP(-2) versus German 4FP(+1). Both sides miss their rolls and remain in MELEE.

[/q]

End of Turn 3. The British are rushing down to the end of the map to try one last shot. It will come down to the effectiveness of the British GUN.
Germans have scored 7VP/15VP towards victory.

Turn 4
GT4

MPh: A10-Off the board 2VP earned toward victory.
E8(CX)-B9 (4MF), DFF C3-B9, R:7, TH:7(+1 C#18, -1 C#19), DR ‘3-3’ for HIT and ROF.
6FP/+0, PTC, Both German leader and squad pinned.
D6(CX)-C8 (3MF), DFF C5-C8, 4FP/+1, 1MC, German leader passes Morale Check, but German squad breaks and is ELR’d.
StuH(F7), starts and moves to C10 (CA B9/B10), remains in MOTION.
E6(CX)-E9

AFPh: B9-C5, 1.75FP/+2, NE

RtPh C8-D7
APh: E9-D9
CCPh: Melee in I8, UK 5FP(-1)/G 4FP, British make their roll, Germans miss their roll. German unit is eliminated.

[/q]

End of German Turn 4: The cowards run towards the south-western corner of the board. The Germans have now tallied 9VP/15VP and would have won if it weren’t for the units pinned by the British GUN and the broken squad in C8. The British will now have one more ½ turn to close in.

BT4

PFPh: C3(GUN)-B9, TH:7(+1 C#18, -1 C#20), DR ‘6-4’ for MISS.
INTENSIVE FIRE TH:7(+1 C#18, -2 C#20, +2 C#9) DR ‘6-6’ and GUN is eliminated.

C5-B9, 4FP/+2, NE

MPh: E4-D5 (3MF), DFF D9-D5, 7FP/-1, PTC, British Pass. Continue D5-C6.
DFF B9-C6, 7FP/+1, NE
I8-D6, SFF B9-D6, 3.5FP/+1, K/1, 4-5-8 squad is CR, British leader and ½ squad pinned.

AFPh: C6-B9, 2FP/+1, PTC, NE

RtPh: Germans in D7 LOW CRAWL to C8

APh: C5-C6
C6-B6

[/q]

End of Turn 4. Nothing can stop the Germans now. The German AFV can pass unhindered, out of range of the PIAT – the only remaining weapon that can hurt the vehicle.

Turn 5
GT5

RPh: German half squad self rallies in M7

MPh: StuH in C10 continues off the board. **7VP** - bringing total to 16VP/17VP.
M7(CX)-G8
D9-B10 (2MF), DFF B6&C6(FG)-B10, 8FP/+0, 1MC, German breaks. This stops them from exiting the board.
B9(AM)-A9 – the squad only. SFF B6&C6(FG)-A9, 4FP/+2, 1MC, German passes.
B9(leader only) moves to A10 (1MF), DFF D6-A10, 2FP/+0, NE.
The leader in B9 continues off of the board and scores 2 more VP.
This brings German VP total to 18 and a win for the Scenario.

[/q]
End of Game positions.

Result: German Victory

Impressions:

This was a fun, short scenario to play – especially since the British all set up HIP. It lead to all sorts of nasty surprises for the Germans as they moved across the board. In the end, the British simply rolled too many ‘6-6’ box-cars with their guns when it mattered most, and were unable to stop the Germans. Even so, this scenario played through the full 4 ½ turns, and the result was still in doubt until near the very end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
Polish wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work, I'm sure it will help a people who are starting ASL fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Cannamore
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great great great AAR!

Get some new dice laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR as usual!!!
Thanks!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Boles
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
This is a superbly crafted AAR. It is really nice to see someone put such effort into a post!

A few issues/observations:

1) "HE with depletion of “8” available this scenario. Can only be used against infantry in buildings or against Guns and AFV."

There is no such rule that I recall limiting HE fire to infantry in buildings. You can shoot HE at literally anything.

2) "AAMG w/ 1FP, VCA only. Must be CE to use."

Always make sure you read the Vehicle Notes for ALL Guns/Vehicles in play on BOTH sides. This vehicle has a special AAMG that is remote controlled and you must actually be BUTTONED UP to fire it.

3) This one is a biggie: your setup is illegal. The Gun and crew in C3 would have to be removed from the board when revealed, technically speaking. The setup area for the British is "on/between hexrows D through O".

4) That is curious way to point the gun in C3. I would definitely start him out pointing down the road. He can see some surprising hexes from there. I know this because that is exactly where I put him (with the 9-1) during my first playing of this! :) I recognized that he was illegally placed and told my opponent, who was gracious enough to let me leave him in play.

5) Running a tank down the middle of the road before infantry has cleared it is a good way to lose tanks in any city fight where multiple HIP AT assets are in play! :-O

6) The broken 458 in J7 should not be eliminated for FTR. It is NOT in open ground (that is an orchard road hex), so he can stay there. Keeping an eye out for your (or your opponent's) routs is KEY to improving your play.

Again well done, and I hope you keep submitting AARs!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilgore Trout
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, Kevin, for the detailed observations and advice. This is just the sort of review I was hoping for - this is how I learn. Your comments are duly noted.. perhaps I'll now make several fewer mistakes in my next play through!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Boles
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
You are very welcome! I assume you have gone through Jay Richardson's tutorials since I see that you have created quite a number of other AARs. I really wish I had the time to go through them ... :(

BTW, do you play on VASL at all? Are these AARs with another FTF opponent or solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilgore Trout
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin.. Yes, I know Jay's contributions quite well.. I've gone through them several times. I don't play VASL yet.. I may take this up when I "graduate" to ASL. I'm on the road a good bit for business and this may be an opportunity to look into this in the future. These AARs are played at home with my teenage son. We sometimes get in 1 turn/day, sometimes 1 turn/week. The heavy documentation of the playthrough helps us work toward really "grokking" the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up with all the historical data. Wow. Lots of work. And I believe you are correct, all the detail and time in between turns would allow for rules look up to insure you're getting it right.

I just started playing this when I saw on Facebook that you posted this. What great timing.

Here's after the Germans 1st move phase. My Hip units are faded/grayed out.
Germans last 105 StugII when shot in the rear by the HIP...doh, just realized that 57L gun can't be set up there. I will now move it and try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Boles
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
So the PIAT (which should be in K7, right - or all of your AT assets would be on the same side of the map) must have missed the point blank shot as the tank rolled past? Or did I4 not reveal and shoot him as he rolled by on the top road? Plus to get there and turn around he must have been CE so some 8+2 or better shots would have been available too for the stun potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was keeping that I4 unit hidden for the other kitties.

Thank you for the catch on the CE vs BU and road movement. 1/2 MF if CE and 1 for BU, correct? I also forgot to pay the 1 for starting up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.