Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Dragons vs. Jet Fighters - Idea Phase
Designed for the 2017 Children's PnP Game Design Contest

Pic coming...

In Dragons vs. Jet Fighters, players take the roll of different dragons with unique skills and powers trying to defend their city. Another player controls the invading bandit jet fighters trying to destroy the city and avoid the dangerous dragon defenders.

The game is for 1-5 players and takes (I hope) 20-60 minutes depending on player count.

Game Components (still in idea phase):

50 Fighter Formation cards
4 Dragon Cards
4 Dragon tokens/meeples
11 x 17 board

I'd like to be entered into:
Best Preschool/Early Reading/Simple Math
Battle/Conflict Game
Co-Op/Solo Game
Best Game Designed with Children

And maybe
Best Coloring Book Components

Download Links:
Rules (link coming)
Game Components (link coming)
Low Ink Version (link coming)

Putting this one on hold for now. Hopefully I can revisit it for next year’s contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dragons vs. Jet Fighters - 2017 Children's PnP Game Design Contest - Idea Phase
So far here's what my son Xavier (5 and a half as he would be sure to point out) and I are thinking:

Board:

- The board will be in inch grid spaces and 11 x 17 is good for printing 2 standard pages so that's a start
- On the board there will be different buildings set up in various places; these may become tiles depending on how much variability we're looking for

Jets:

- The player controlling the jet fighters will have poker cards that have a 2 x 3 grid with different patterns of 2-4 ships placed on them
- The cards will also have a move value, direction, and orientation that guide their movement across the board
- If the jets reach a building then they get to add damage to the building (still need to figure out the best way for this, maybe damage tokens?)
- If the jets reach a dragon then they get to add damage to the dragon's card (same note as above)
- Their victory conditions will be based on destroying enough buildings or killing all of the dragons

Dragons:

- There are 4 dragons (red/orange, blue, green, and purple for now) with cards to show what their movement and powers are
- Each dragon has two powers that show a pattern of effect; for example, the fire dragon may have a fire blast that can go out 3 spaces in any orthogonal direction and kill any fighter in the path. His second power may be a heat wave that goes 1 space in around him and kills any fighters in the area.
- On the dragon's turn you can move & use a power or use a power and then move. If you kill a fighter on one of the cards (again, might need damage tokens) then he can't damage any buildings/dragons
- Their victory condition is based on stopping the onslaught of jet fighters

I'll start putting together a prototype this week with my son and give it a shot. If you guys have any ideas let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fuhrman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dragons vs. Jet Fighters - 2017 Children's PnP Game Design Contest - Idea Phase
Insta-win for "Overall Best Theme".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSaturn17 wrote:
Insta-win for "Overall Best Theme".

I have no idea where him and my other son (Elliot, 3) came up with it. I just asked them if they wanted to help me come up with a game for the contest. They’ve got more imagination than I do for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this game coming? Will you have components available today? I'm excited to see it since the theme is super cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
How is this game coming? Will you have components available today? I'm excited to see it since the theme is super cool!

This one is going on the back burner for now. Definitely will want to revisit it down the road but most of my free time has been getting ready for the 54-Card contest and getting Side a Room Games up and running.

I’ll keep it in my back pocket for next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
54-card contest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
54-card contest?

Yeah I’m running the Upcoming 2018 54-Card Game Contest!. My friends and I have started a board & card game company (Side Room Games) and we’re planning on publishing some of the winners (as well as other design submissions we get).

That contest starts on December 1st.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.