Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game» Forums » General

Subject: Will I like this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicklas Lundkvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just found out about this game and the KS campaign last night, and I can't stop thinking about it. It looks so nice, affordable too, relatively speaking.

My fear is that it will feel like Pathfinder or Arkham Horror (the card games). Something about those two just never did it for me. Too much fiddling with cards back and forth and they also take some dedication time wise to both set up and finish.
I also read that someone compared GoK with Mage Knight, which would be even worse. I tried to like Mage Knight but I ended up selling it because it took all things that I don't like to an extreme - billions of symbols, too long playtime, best as a solo game, leaves a bit too much to your own imagination to create a story...

On paper, all these kinds of games have SOUNDED so good to me, that's why I bought them, because I love the idea of adventuring and doing cool stuff in a card game format. But in reality I've been let down, I guess due to a mix of me hyping them in my head but also because they maybe don't fit my taste.

How does this compare to the above mentioned games?
Anyone who can ease my mind on this? Should I jump on the KS train?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pearson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK,this game doesn't have a crazy amount of stuff like Mage Knight. There are several encounter decks each represents a type of location. And several reward decks, again representing different rewards, allies spells etc.

Your skills are each a sentence or two and are written on the cards.

There are no abilities or symbols you have to check in a book everything is written on the cards when it comes to special abilities, and there are only a few. The keywords are used to defeat encounters automatically in some cases or level your character.

You won't need to build a deck for your character before the game like in a LCG.

There a alot of dealing with cards. But this is flipping them off of a deck onto the map. And then when defeated taking them off to your hand or grabbing a specific reward.

I would suggest, should you have a PC trying the game over on tabletopia.com to see what you think.

Im sorry I can't be more help, I haven't played most of the games you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanically, this game is not at all like Mage Knight. The comparisons to it are usually in structure as an adventure game (which is fair).

It's difficult to really know if you'd enjoy it. It's a great game but it relies on the player(s) really buying into the narrative and piecing it together from some abstract elements. It's a make your own story kind of game as opposed to reading large amounts of flavor text. I think it's closest to Shadows of Malice, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Set up is very easy for GoK. I wouldn't say it's fiddly either, but I wouldn't say that about Arkham Horror: LCG, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask on that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the game and just follow it for quite awhile and played it on Tabletopia, just so you know.

The game is free to play on Tabletopia which is also free to download via Steam. It's the best way to get an impression of the game for yourself.

I could see Gloom of Kilforth described as a little fiddly and there are lots of different decks to setup and shuffle. If Arkham Horror LCG is already too much for you in that regard, I guess you won't like GoK.

It also seems in my personal opinion best played as a solo game, but I bet that is a matter of taste in the end.

Imagination is definitely needed to create a good story in this game. The game has no story texts written on the cards to guide you or anything, only flavour texts and of course the gorgeous artwork which is the real star of the show here. You have to build the story of your hero yourself. In that case it is similar to Mage Knight. But it feels easier to me to create a story in GoK, maybe because it doesn't feel as "heavy" and mechanically driven as Mage Knight and therefore leaves more head space. Also, have to say it again, there is the artwork which is just amazing and draws you into the world of Kilforth.

Good luck with your decision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieron Peacey
United Kingdom
Fowey
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this sometimes two player but mostly solo, which I think is where it really shines. I find solo it is pretty quick and not at all fiddly. I tried it out on tabletopia and found that worse, went straight back to the physical version.

I highly recommend this game for solo play, it works brilliantly mechanically and also beautifully as a roleplay experience: taking your time, reading all the card text and immersing yourself.

I like to play two players co-op, I enjoy going off separate ways to level up then joining up to defeat to beat ancients. I have never played with more than two, I imagine with more it might get a bit long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narstrand wrote:
I just found out about this game and the KS campaign last night, and I can't stop thinking about it. It looks so nice, affordable too, relatively speaking.

My fear is that it will feel like Pathfinder or Arkham Horror (the card games). Something about those two just never did it for me. Too much fiddling with cards back and forth and they also take some dedication time wise to both set up and finish.
I also read that someone compared GoK with Mage Knight, which would be even worse. I tried to like Mage Knight but I ended up selling it because it took all things that I don't like to an extreme - billions of symbols, too long playtime, best as a solo game, leaves a bit too much to your own imagination to create a story...

On paper, all these kinds of games have SOUNDED so good to me, that's why I bought them, because I love the idea of adventuring and doing cool stuff in a card game format. But in reality I've been let down, I guess due to a mix of me hyping them in my head but also because they maybe don't fit my taste.

How does this compare to the above mentioned games?
Anyone who can ease my mind on this? Should I jump on the KS train?

Thanks!

The mechanics on GoK are simpler, so you dont have to worry about crib sheets etc. ANd the artwork is lovely, so you are allowed to stare at the cards for longer.

There is one surprise I picked up from the game: Dont expect it to be easy. The game will beat you if you rush it. YOu will need to hide/run from the baddies until you build your strenght...so dont expect a quick game. But it's nice to savour the feeling of building up to the climax.

hope that helps
D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.