57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Other games like this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Parker Bailey
msg tools
Hey guys, this game looks really cool, and I feel like there may not be any games quite like it, but the asking price is way too much for me. So are there any other games similar to Kingdom Death: Monster, maybe for a slightly smaller asking price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don´t think so.
There are other very good and unique games, but I don´t know anything like Kingdom Death.
This is probably one of the reasons why KingdomDeath is so successful.
There are many people who don´t care about nice miniatures and who would probably prefer a less expensive game without them.
Would buying the game and selling the miniatures maybe be a good solution for your problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Honestly... you won't like this answer... Monster Hunter (video game).

It doesn't simulate the settlement portion of the game, but hunting monsters for resources to build gear to hunt monsters for resources to build gear is all there.

edit: Other people have suggested Shadows of Brimstone, but I've never played it before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordCommander wrote:
Hey guys, this game looks really cool, and I feel like there may not be any games quite like it, but the asking price is way too much for me. So are there any other games similar to Kingdom Death: Monster, maybe for a slightly smaller asking price.
As a videogame, Monster Hunter World will be the closest you get but if they ever make a "Dark Souls - Monster Hunter" mash up that will be even closer.

As a board game? No, there's really nothing like it. Buy the game and sell the minis, you can get at least $200 if you sell ALL of them(including the prologue minis), then you just proxy in the Survivors and the Monsters (1x50mm base + 1x100mm base = all enemies). That gets you the game for an end-total cost of $120 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis are honestly a really big part of the experience. At least in my opinion. Having the avatars to connect events to makes them more impactful for me. Plus I built my first custom survivors today which was a pretty rewarding experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jasiven wrote:
LordCommander wrote:
As a videogame, Monster Hunter World will be the closest you get but if they ever make a "Dark Souls - Monster Hunter" mash up that will be even closer.

As a board game? No, there's really nothing like it. Buy the game and sell the minis, you can get at least $200 if you sell ALL of them(including the prologue minis), then you just proxy in the Survivors and the Monsters (1x50mm base + 1x100mm base = all enemies). That gets you the game for an end-total cost of $120 or so.

I doubt that this will still work when all the backers got their game.
Sure, you will still be able to get back a good amount of the money, but my guess is that prices like 200 $ for the minis will be a thing of the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elizablumi wrote:
Jasiven wrote:
LordCommander wrote:

Sure, you will still be able to get back a good amount of the money, but my guess is that prices like 200 $ for the minis will be a thing of the past.
The minis are very high quality plastics, miniature-lovers will always be willing to buy them while having no interest in the game. Beyond that, getting the minis requires up to a $400 expense if you want it fresh and new. The market is going to have a lot of them available, yes that's very true, but not so much that it's going to make the minis worthless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you want a similar game mechanic for controlling enemy models then Shadows of Brimstone is the closest thing, however be forewarned they are totally different games. Shadows of Brimstone is more akin to a dungeon crawler, whereas Kingdom Death Monster is a civilisation-esque settlement management game with hardcore boss fights. So pretty much like everyone else inferred: no - no there isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rey
msg tools

There is almost no chance that you will get so much money back if you decide to sell all plastic from KDM. You may be able to sell some sprues/minis but all of them? Just think for a moment about that like that - how many people are there waiting to buy it for $200-300?
Exactly. That many.
But it is your decision after all .
KDM is weird mixture of very good but way overproduced game and bizzare bussines model. What is amazing is that it worked at all in the first place, mostly because of huge hype nad fomo, but it worked. And for Adam Poots that's what counts at the end. And it's a good thing for him because he worked for that hard.
Unfortunately for many people it means at the same time that they won't be able to check it by themselves but lets face it - no one cares.

Anyway - if you are looking for fighting monsters with AI decks go for Dark Souls. Good stuff. If you want to check how it is to struggle with keeping settlement in one piece - This War Of Mine could be the answer (thats what I have heard anyway, haven't try it by myself yet).

And don't regret not having KDM. Maybe someone will show up around soon with the copy and you will have a chance to play it. One thing is for sure - it will not dissapear, be OOP and gone for good. Not a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jasiven wrote:
Elizablumi wrote:
Jasiven wrote:
LordCommander wrote:

The minis are very high quality plastics, miniature-lovers will always be willing to buy them while having no interest in the game. Beyond that, getting the minis requires up to a $400 expense if you want it fresh and new. The market is going to have a lot of them available, yes that's very true, but not so much that it's going to make the minis worthless.

Sure thing.
I don´t expect them to become worthless but I expect them to considerabely drop in value.
There will always be a market for them, but who knows how the prices for them will be in the future?
I just say this to avoid disapointment for someone who maybe only would buy the game, if he can make most of his money back by selling the miniatures.

I can´t agree with the fresh and new part.
At least for quite some time.
Just think about all the people who only bought a second copy of the game because it was included in some of the best pledgelevels.
Don´t forget people who don´t care abou miniatures and only plan to sell them.
Also let´s face it.
KDM is a unique game that requires a lot of time, work and tolerance against frustration from the players.
Not everyone will like the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's somehow oddly refreshing to see a new generation of players asking and answering the same questions that have been circling around for the last few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kompan wrote:

There is almost no chance that you will get so much money back if you decide to sell all plastic from KDM. You may be able to sell some sprues/minis but all of them? Just think for a moment about that like that - how many people are there waiting to buy it for $200-300?
Exactly. That many.

Ebay disagrees with you. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
kompan wrote:

Exactly. That many.

Er... lots of people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
saykhia
Australia
flag msg tools
LordCommander wrote:

Have you checked out Gloomhaven?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
You might want to check out Gloomhaven.

It has some settlement/world development but less than KDM.

It has it's own unique fantasy universe but no grimdark theme.

Both are campaign games

Gloomhaven has more focus on developing your characters skills.

Gloomhaven is more "Euro" and is a lot less random than KDM.

Gloomhaven has some decent preassembled board game quality miniatures for the player characters (not as good as KDM), although enemy monsters are standees.

Gloomhaven is meant to be legacy so you'll have a unique experience but be unable to sell it on, although there are reusable sticker packs which side step this.

They are still quite different games but it depends what about KDM really attracts you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasiven wrote:
Buy the game and sell the minis, you can get at least $200 if you sell ALL of them(including the prologue minis),

I'm seeing $150-ish per set, and note there would be eBay fees and shipping costs. Target a net cost of $200.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rey
msg tools

Sorry guys but when you insert links from ebay think twice.
You don't show people who want to buy but those who want to SELL stuff. Quite funny actually and proves my point so thanks .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kompan wrote:

You don't show people who want to buy but those who want to SELL stuff. Quite funny actually and proves my point so thanks .

Those were ended auctions and what they sold at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
kompan wrote:

Ah, perhaps it didn't come through but I'm sure you can click over yourself to filter on sold items only.

Quite funny indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rey
msg tools

Perhaps you should be more precise with your searches then. Most of those which were listed were cancelled, ended or weren't about sprues from the Core Box (pinups, expansions and full games don't count right?).
But thanks. It's even more funny now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kompan wrote:
Perhaps you should be more precise with your searches then. Most of those which were listed were cancelled, ended or weren't about sprues from the Core Box (pinups, expansions and full games don't count right?).
But thanks. It's even more funny now
There is a sold-listing of a Lion Armor Kit, for $45, and you think every piece of plastic all together can't be sold for $200? ... Wow.

Like, for $45, I'm almost tempted to list my armor-kits. 7 kits, $35+ each... Makes KDM basically free.

Yeah, my advice to the first guy is 100% "buy it and sell the plastics"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker Bailey
msg tools
I think I should clarify more upon what I wanted as some one discussed, now I'll be upfront I don't know a whole lot about this game, just watched and read a couple of reviews. I think the big appeal I have for this game is the idea of a long form kind of DnD type experience but well solo and in a physical board game form rather than pen and Paper, the A.I. for monsters is pretty cool, but as some one mentioned that system is available in Dark Souls. I may just have this game all pinned wrong, but some kind of long form RPG game that has interesting monsters to fight and what not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rey
msg tools
LordCommander wrote:
I think I should clarify more upon what I wanted as some one discussed, now I'll be upfront I don't know a whole lot about this game, just watched and read a couple of reviews. I think the big appeal I have for this game is the idea of a long form kind of DnD type experience but well solo and in a physical board game form rather than pen and Paper, the A.I. for monsters is pretty cool, but as some one mentioned that system is available in Dark Souls. I may just have this game all pinned wrong, but some kind of long form RPG game that has interesting monsters to fight and what not.

Ok, maybe it's only me but it's more like 'X-Com video game' experience than RPG. Your characters will die. A lot. And it's all about surviving with your settlement. The setting and stories the game tells are fantastic however.
If you are looking for more RPG try Gloomhaven or Folklore maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a PC game with a similar feel, Thea: The Awakening that is currently on sale on Steam.

Whereas the previously suggested Monster Hunter gives you the fights against large creatures and some crafting-based progression, Thea gives you all the settlement management and random CYOA-style story events. It's not amazing to look at and has a bit a of a learning curve but it's closest thing I've seen to KD:M yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker Bailey
msg tools
kompan wrote:
Ok, maybe it's only me but it's more like 'X-Com video game' experience than RPG. Your characters will die. A lot. And it's all about surviving with your settlement. The setting and stories the game tells are fantastic however.

Would it be comparable to Darkest Dungeon, where yes you want your guys to level up but in the end they're really just a means to an end and letting them die may actually be the best move. While in Xcom while yes your guys die you really want them to live so they can be more and more useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.