17 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Custom player mat for Laserox Overlay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SirMaoh S.
msg tools
Hey everyone,

I got me some Laserox Terraforming Mars Overlays at Essen and I'm pretty surprised they don't fit the original player mats. I couldn't find a fitting custom player mat at the files section over here either. Are there any other places where I could find a fitting player mat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue is that the player cubes are actually larger than the squares on the player board. There is no way for an overlay to hold the cubes in place and align with the board, the board spaces are just too small.

There are tricks, such as alternating spaces having the cube straight and rotated 45 degrees to align to a single row of numbers but all of the income areas are more than one row so that doesn’t completely work either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The game is dope but I will never ever buy another FryxGames game for sure.

Awful component design, awful component quality, awful punch boards, awful art... even the box is the worst quality I've seen in a box.

And as we can see even such a simple thing as the size of those squares weren't thought through...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OurBG wrote:

Awful component design, awful component quality, awful punch boards, awful art... even the box is the worst quality I've seen in a box.

And as we can see even such a simple thing as the size of those squares weren't thought through...

I would argue that Stronghold probably is more to blame tham FryxGames. It is usually the publisher that drives component quality and in many cases graphic design, especially for newer game developers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl S.
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:
The issue is that the player cubes are actually larger than the squares on the player board. There is no way for an overlay to hold the cubes in place and align with the board, the board spaces are just too small.

There are tricks, such as alternating spaces having the cube straight and rotated 45 degrees to align to a single row of numbers but all of the income areas are more than one row so that doesn’t completely work either.

Actually the acrylic boards by Boardgame Boost match up very well, not perfect, but definitely better than the above picture. it uses little indents between cube spaces instead of a full bar. I thought I saw some custom player mats for the above overlay on BBG though.

check out the Gameboard Boost overlay at:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/480579817/terraforming-mars-pla...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CalvinG35 wrote:
TedMarshall wrote:

Actually the acrylic boards by Boardgame Boost match up very well, not perfect, but definitely better than the above picture. it uses little indents between cube spaces instead of a full bar. I thought I saw some custom player mats for the above overlay on BBG though.

check out the Gameboard Boost overlay at:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/480579817/terraforming-mars-pla...

I have the etsy overlays and while not perfect they do fit quite a bit better from what I can see in your picture. Here's how mine came out after I laminated the mat and used clear glue dots to adhere the overlay. The mega credits markers are probably the furthest off but it's all pretty close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the ones from Board Game Innovation. You do need to print your own background mats, though, but it looks great (my wife used some kind of craft glue to stick the laminated mats to the back of the overlay).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OurBG wrote:

I just don't understand this at all. The game is incredibly fun and well designed and the components, while not perfect, are perfectly adequate. Moreover, any problems with the components are probably related to the actual publisher in the U.S. - Stronghold.

What's the point of playing a game? To play a game or goggle components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, of course. Game play is the most important thing. But components matter too, and everything about this game feels cheap. My box is taped together to keep it from falling apart,some of the card art is great while other cards are obvious clip art, and player boards are awful. After the 5th time a game was almost ruined by a player bumping their board and sending cubes flying, I invested in the broken token insert so I could get their nice wooden player boards.

And I agree that Stronghold is probably to blame for all this (except the card art). I think SB knew he had a hit on his hands and figured he didn't need to spend the extra money to make quality components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I just disagree with most of your complaints about the components. The player board is the only thing I'm not thrilled with, and frankly, gamers are so "spoiled" now that they improve tons of games with after market stuff that I'm not surprised multiple companies have player boards to improve what TM starts with. The box is just a box. I'd guess it's identical to every other stronghold box of the same size, and probably similar to those of every other game company. And I find the art perfectly adequate, though I admit I focus on gameplay rather than art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
teacherboy wrote:
And I agree that Stronghold is probably to blame for all this (except the card art). I think SB knew he had a hit on his hands and figured he didn't need to spend the extra money to make quality components.

The designer of the game has stated several times in these forums that the component choices were his own, not those of Steven Buonocore or Stonghold Games, which are both one and the same.

How could Steven had possibly known he had a hit months before the first copy shipped from the printer? Suggesting that he could somehow see into the future and then decide to use substandard components is a little silly and quite insulting to the man himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SirMaoh S.
msg tools
So no one else got these overlays or found a fitting custom player mat? That's pretty disappointing :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Csuka
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirMaoh wrote:
So no one else got these overlays or found a fitting custom player mat? That's pretty disappointing :/

Hi,
As it was mentioned before, the design of the player mat does not allow a perfect fit. Even the version with just a big cut out with small nobs it shifted a bit above and under the cube spaces.
We were thinking about printing a slightly shifted player mat, but that would drive costs up and would also violate the copyrights of the game.

I am really sorry that you are dissapointed in the overlay. Please send us an email to info@laserox.net to sort out a return or refund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lund

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirMaoh wrote:
Hey everyone,

I got me some Laserox Terraforming Mars Overlays at Essen and I'm pretty surprised they don't fit the original player mats. I couldn't find a fitting custom player mat at the files section over here either. Are there any other places where I could find a fitting player mat?

Thingiverse has a few player mats that fit over the top of the existing player cards and still fit cubes. They employ the idea Ted was talking about where the cubes rotate 45 degrees every "step".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SirMaoh S.
msg tools
I'm sorry for all of this becoming a big misunderstanding. I'm not looking for another overlay (to buy), I'm looking for a custom player mat I can print to use with the laserox overlays I got at Essen (instead of using the original player mats).
Something like this one from Ryan Kinnaman ( https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140444/player-mat) :

I haven't found a fitting one yet though, that's why I asked over here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Bonet
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I made one!

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/160139/laserox-compatible...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben
Netherlands
flag msg tools
the cake is a lie
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dubidabidubidu wrote:
I made one!

Awesome! I just received my Laserox boards, not knowing about the misalignment until I tried to fit them. You've saved me a lot of trouble and disappointment. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.