Popular Tags: [View All]
Steel Whisper
Netherlands
Weesp
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was for me, I played 10 games in total over 2 days, all of which were brand new releases, both euro's and ameritrash titles but this one blew me away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Cool.

Anything more specific or descriptive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steel Whisper
Netherlands
Weesp
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s a typical euro, but what I really liked were the stacking workers. So if you choose a work spot, all the others at that spot are allowed to take that action again as well. Which turns the game into a puzzle because you want to do your own stuff but you don’t want to help others too much at the same time. When you have 4 workers on one spot the bottom one will trigger a scoring phase. Can’t put my finger on it why but this game really stuck with me and I liked it better then Otys for instance, which was also really good.

Only downside is the 3-5 player requirement, I would like to play it with my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lzmountaingames wrote:
Cool.

Anything more specific or descriptive?

From listening to a couple of podcasts, people seem to be saying that it offers significant depth and interactivity for a short (~90 minutes for 4p) Euro. It definitely looks interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steel Whisper
Netherlands
Weesp
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we only played a third of the game which only took like 30 minutes but it felt rly crunchy. It feels a bit like concordia in a way. I also like the random setup elements which make every game different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
SteelWhisper wrote:
It was for me, I played 10 games in total over 2 days, all of which were brand new releases, both euro's and ameritrash titles but this one blew me away.

Which 10 did you play at Essen?? out of curiosity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
My favourite among the 10-15 I tried as well. Among the hyped games Transatlantic was good but didn't stand out, Cosmogenesis was a big positive surprise - a Euro that feels fresh - and Altiplano was decidedly mediocre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mate Horvath
Hungary
Budapest
Pest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't at all enthused about the half game I played. The very epitome of JASE, IMO.

I played around 24 games, and this would not get close to my top five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steel Whisper
Netherlands
Weesp
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I played at Essen were:

1. Calimala
2. Quest for El Dorado
3. Legend of 5 Rings
4. Century Spice Road
5. Azul
6. A Song of Ice & Fire
7. Otys
8. Mountains of Madness
9. Re:world
10. I forgot

Top 5 I really liked, Reworld and Mountains of Madness were not very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin O'Brien
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Steel Whisper on this one - it was also my favourite game of the 13 that I managed to play at Essen. The stacking disc mechanic is really interesting, in my opinion. Also, being able to draw an action card if unable to take an action may provide opportunities to take actions that were not possible at the start of your turn.

TLDR - I liked most games I played at Essen but Calimala just had the X factor to make me open my wallet (and that says a lot coming from a Scottish man)

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it became my only purchase from Essen. For anyone interested, the games I played were:

Montana
4 player and I'd be happy to play again if the opportunity arose

A Column of Fire
4 player & 3 player. I would have bought it if it had been available in English. I have, and like, the other games based on Ken Follett's books,The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, so that was a factor for me

Tadmor
2 player. A solid worker placement game and I'd be happy to play it again

KLASK
Probably the best laugh my friend and I had while playing at Essen

Alexandria
2 player and incomplete because we were only allowed 1 hour to set up, parse the rules and play. Nothing particularly bad about it but it just wasn't for me

Rhodes
2 player. Another one I'd be happy to play again. Looked very nice and had some interesting mechanics

Lancelot
3 player with the game designer Mario Papini. I really liked this once I got my head round it and even managed to beat Mario at his own game. Not unlike Lignum (second edition) with it's action selection mechanic. Added to my list of potential future purchases

Parley
3 player and 5 player. The 1st game was ok but the 2nd game was really good fun. Probably needs 5 or 6 players to be at its best. I thought long and hard about purchasing and may still do so. Almost as much fun as KLASK

Okanagan: Valley of the Lakes
3 player but incomplete due to insufficient time. Another one that just didn't do it for me. If you like Carcassonne or Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King this may be of interest

Pioneers
4 player but incomplete. Probably in the gateway game category for me but I'd be happy to play it again

Agra
3 player and incomplete. Should have been 4 player but one of the guys decided to opt out before even taking his 1st turn. I didn't blame him. The worst of my Essen plays and not one I would look to repeat

Transatlantic
4 player. Looked really interesting but maybe the rules overview was a bit rushed because I wasn't really sure what to do. Has definite potential and I would like to give it another try

Calimala
4 player and incomplete but there was enough going on to make me buy it. I've done a solo run through of a 4 player game. Looks like a winner - no regrets about purchasing a copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodolphe Destombes
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that Calimala was also my favourite game of the Spiel. One of the things that made me instantly love it is that since other players can trigger actions for you, there is never any downtime. The game plays fast and you never feel bored. I also like the art quite a bit, which is important for me. It is intuitive, tactical and the luck factor is quite low.

Another great game was Photosynthesis: one of the most beautiful games of the fair, and very tactical.

I also liked very much Azul, Otys and Altiplano.

I tried about 35 games in total.

In the "disappointing section", I would put Agra. I am also still on the fence about Noria. It looked good, but I don't know... it did not quite gel with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ellis
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
SteelWhisper wrote:

Only downside is the 3-5 player requirement, I would like to play it with my wife.

No two player variant or possibility?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steel Whisper
Netherlands
Weesp
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just scored a copy online with the deluxe buildings that were sold out at Essen.

Hopefully someone comes up with a 2p variant because 3p requirement is really the only downside of this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Lopiano
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted the rules for a 2 players variant here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1881750/2-players-variant

Still, I would suggest to play with an high number of players first (4 or 5) before trying that.
The two player variant is quite 'advanced' and requires some familiarity with the hidden intricacies of the game. Playing the 2p variant first would be rather disappointing otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.