Subject: is there no way to indicate what color you are? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the rulebook, everyone takes a color pawn as their score tracker, but then there is no way to indicate what color you are after that?

I know you can just make a color card or whatever but this is an annoying oversight that I'm surprised designers are still making.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
bigGameGeek wrote:
Reading the rulebook, everyone takes a color pawn as their score tracker, but then there is no way to indicate what color you are after that?

I know you can just make a color card or whatever but this is an annoying oversight that I'm surprised designers are still making.....

I find this a rather strange complaint. There should be additional components to remind players what colour they are? It would save you just asking, I suppose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
I find this a rather strange complaint. There should be additional components to remind players what colour they are? It would save you just asking, I suppose?

Agreed. We have one or two games that do offer a second piece, in order to identify what color everyone is. We always found that strange and completely unnecessary, and just throw that second piece back in the box, so we don't clutter up the table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to you folks with good short term memory.

Speaking for myself, and the fine people I regularly play with, none of us are the type to always claim a certain color, so on any given day, we may play 3 or 4 games, being a different color each time. I can absolutely envision being 5 rounds into a game and hearing "I'm blue? I thought you were blue. What color am I?" Particularly in a game like this where the only piece in your color is the scoring tracker, and you only touch that once every three rounds or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my group (and myself) aren't the kind of people to always claim a particular color.

So I don't think it's necessarily an odd request.

Have you never played a game where you would score some points, then had to look at your player board to remind yourself what color pawn to move? Then good for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Yeah, my group (and myself) aren't the kind of people to always claim a particular color.

So I don't think it's necessarily an odd request.

Have you never played a game where you would score some points, then had to look at your player board to remind yourself what color pawn to move? Then good for you!

Personally, no...but I could see that being an issue for some.

The example in my head for "strange and unnecessary" was Guilds of London. In that case, you have meeples of your color in front of you...but they also give you a disc to keep in front of you to identify what color you are, as well.

So I can see your issue with not having a mark of any kind. But like I said, it seems pretty rare that games include those...but that's probably because most have some indication already included (meeples, player board, etc). I'll have to pay closer attention to this in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:

Personally, no...

That's because you play with green
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
This is why I always bring a top hat and iron to a game of Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always add all players and their colours (if relevant) into my scoring app. Not as convenient as having an object in front of you, but it provides somewhere to check in case everybody has a simultaneous mental blank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
Speaking for myself, and the fine people I regularly play with, none of us are the type to always claim a certain color, so on any given day, we may play 3 or 4 games, being a different color each time. I can absolutely envision being 5 rounds into a game and hearing "I'm blue? I thought you were blue. What color am I?" Particularly in a game like this where the only piece in your color is the scoring tracker, and you only touch that once every three rounds or so.
Plus there is a desire, in many games, to be able to know what color the other players are. I tend to forget my own color only when I'm the game master of a game, as I'm always answering questions and trying to keep things going. But we do often ask, "What color are you?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shipley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use Monopoly tokens instead of the color pawns. Easier to remember the ship, thimble, race car, or dog rather than a color?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.