Popular Tags: [View All]
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Explorers,

I know the woven basket has been discussed a million times but I still dont get it. What is the benefit of this thing?

Secondly, regarding stacking items. I just read
" the stacking of items rule. It seems to say that you can stack any item below another item card even though it doesn't share a keyword.
BUT if it does not share a keyword then you don't get to modify the die on the top card (you don;t get to add the top card's die pips to it)."
-> That is a big revelation. Has anyone else noticed that this is possible?

Finally, I got this card called "Travel light".
I am playing solo and it tells me that if I have less than 10 or more than 11 cards in my "inventory".
So what is my "inventory"? Is that all the state, bonus, crafted items and un-crafted items i.e. my "hand"?

In a certain cave I encountered a card that gives ma a balancing challenge.
I failed but I play Ferdinand so I dropped a card with the keyword "stealth" and tried again - his special ability.
Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:
Dear Explorers,

I know the woven basket has been discussed a million times but I still dont get it. What is the benefit of this thing?

It allows you to have a larger item stack than would otherwise be possible. For example, normally in a 2 player game, your items can only contain 3 cards each. With this, you could have 6 cards combined in a single item.

metallon wrote:
Secondly, regarding stacking items. I just read
" the stacking of items rule. It seems to say that you can stack any item below another item card even though it doesn't share a keyword.
BUT if it does not share a keyword then you don't get to modify the die on the top card (you don;t get to add the top card's die pips to it)."
-> That is a big revelation. Has anyone else noticed that this is possible?

Yes, we have.

metallon wrote:
I am playing solo and it tells me that if I have less than 10 or more than 11 cards in my "inventory".
So what is my "inventory"? Is that all the state, bonus, crafted items and un-crafted items i.e. my "hand"?

Crafted or found items only.

Quote:
In a certain cave I encountered a card that gives ma a balancing challenge.
I failed but I play Ferdinand so I dropped a card with the keyword "stealth" and tried again - his special ability.
Does that make sense?

That makes perfect sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The basket allows you to exceed the stacking limit of a given item by 3, changing the limit from 4 to 7 for a solo player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:
Dear Explorers,

Your inventory is just your items (the stacks with dice on them).

Thematically the card is talking about carrying less stuff to recover.
Your hand is ideas and skills, not physical things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:

This was already answered but I wanted to add that at the end of the rulebook there is a list of definitions, including the definition of "inventory" (= the cards with the black die symbol on them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add a question to "found items": they usually dont have any keywords but a black die symbol; so do these take up an inventory slot too? And if yes, how should you be able to carry any in a 4 player game? Usually you need 1- 2 stacks of items to deal with challenges and hunts or carrying your meatbasket. Getting random items, we would had to trow away a whole stack of items just to be able to pick it up; thats sounds kinda stupid (in game design).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mitchell
United States
Snyder
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
Just to add a question to "found items": they usually dont have any keywords but a black die symbol; so do these take up an inventory slot too? And if yes, how should you be able to carry any in a 4 player game? Usually you need 1- 2 stacks of items to deal with challenges and hunts or carrying your meatbasket. Getting random items, we would had to trow away a whole stack of items just to be able to pick it up; thats sounds kinda stupid (in game design).

Yes they need to be placed in to the inventory :
1. In an empty slot, placing a die on it for pip count

2. Or, under an existing item that is in inventory, without exceeding the stack size limit.

It is a royal PIA, but some of the found items can be quite useful ... That said, you don't necessarily have to discard an item to place the "found" item, you may add to an existing stack - provided there is room ... barring that then yes, either discard an existing stack, or the new found item.

Hope that clears it up.

Edit : note that the items found along the way typically don't have keywords ... so they will not add pips to a stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:

If you have any empty room in your inventory, such as in your 'meatbasket', you can put the card there, it just won't increase the die (read the OP to see why).

If your inventories are all absolutely full, then yes, you have to decide whether you want to discard an existing item or simply not take the new one. That's one of the challenges the 7th Continent throws at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Thanks for the many replies!
If inventory is the items that I craft and find how can I ever
have more than 11 cards when playing solo?
That would mean all my 4 pip-die in use plus a huge stack below them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:

Playing solo, you can have 4 items, each of which can have 4 cards stacked in it. So you could have up to 16 cards in your inventory, or more when using the woven basket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:

In addition to the response above, all player counts have a possible maximum of 16 or 18 cards (ignoring items/abilities that expand this amount).

Your maximum number of cards = players * items * cards per item
1 player = 1*4*4 = 16 cards
2 player = 2*3*3 = 18 cards
3 player = 3*2*3 = 18 cards
4 player = 4*2*2 = 16 cards

Remember that any newly crafted/found item card can be attached to any exiting item that isn't at its limit yet. They do not need matching keywords. Matching keywords means you get to increase the die when adding the item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
does that mean I can combine my bow and blowpipe and leave the dice at 4?
meaning that I actually got a small benefit for the blowpipe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black dog
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have done that when you created the second object but now that you have two distinct objects, it's too late to combine them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As black dog states, you cannot combine already constructed items. You can only attach a new card when you craft or find it.

It also looks like you used your Blowpipe once, but you have never used your Bow. If you want to rewind actions as if you had attached the Blowpipe to the Bow when you built the Blowpipe, then the Bow-Blowpipe would now have 3 pips left.

This assumes you constructed the Bow first. If you instead crafted the Blowpipe first, then your combined Blowpipe-Bow would have only 2 pips left now after its single use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.