Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A question came up in the KS forum regarding adjacency. I wanted to clarify it for those whom had questions.

NOTE: Awating official clarification from TRJ. A pairof the red lines may not be legal adjacency. Read TobyJasons Reply below on why I think he may be right. It makes thematic sence

Notice the image above.
The Blue areas are Hero locations, imagine a box around them. AREAS have adjacency within thier border. Yellow Squares are within one area and the green squares are all within another area.

If you look at them as shown, adjacency becomes clear.
1. THE RED lines show adjacency within the odd distances area and to the adjacent area.

2. THE BLUE lines show the Adjacency within the same area. The middle spot looked interesting to demonstrate.

3. The Purple line shows NO ADJACENCY due to it traversing a wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Respectfully, I think you're wrong about the adjacencies here. Adjacency rules from GC1 rulebook:
Quote:
"Two characters IN ADJACENT SPACES are CONSIDERED adjacent only when a straight line can be drawn from the active character's space to the target's space. If no wall or closed door is in line of sight, you may make a combat roll. (Setting elements do not block line of sight.)"

Most people are going to focus on everything after "only when". The key thing I think you're overlooking is the very first bit of language: "IN ADJACENT SPACES". IMO, the terrain element of the desk and the shelf do not in themselves block adjacency. HOWEVER, the fact that THERE ARE NO DOTS where there "should" be DOES block adjacency, because it means the dots across the top, for example, are not adjacent to one another. You can move from dot to dot, because the movement rules allow movement from one dot in an area to any other dot in an area. But it goes "DOT1 X DOT2 X DOT3" (where X = "no dot where there should be"), meaning DOT1 and DOT2 are not adjacent.

This is actually a pretty brilliant system that allows for terrain to interrupt adjacency without printing non-existent "walls" or wall-like blocking lines on the tiles.

Not that per your interpretation there should also be a light blue line between the top two light blue dots (just as you have that diagonal red line showing [supposed] adjacency). Intuitively that big ass shelf running vertically in the light blue area SHOULD block adjacency between dots on either side of it, and IMO it in fact DOES block adjacency, not because it's printed there, but because the dots that would otherwise be thre are not there, meaning the dots on either side of the shelf are not actually ADJACENT to one another in the simplest sense: they're not actually printed next to each other in the standard grid pattern.

At least that's my reading.

The GC2 rule is the same, it's just a little less clear, in that it reads only "The character can make an Attack roll against the target standing in an adjacent Space.... In order to determine [adjacency, draw line, if no walls/closed doors, fine.]" The key is again the first, ignored part: "STANDING IN AN ADJACENT SPACE". Those space that are separated by terrain elements rather than dots ARE NOT ADJACENT in the most basic sense: they're not next to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point..
Although the spaces when counting out where dots should be creates fringe issues. Assuming a minion and a hero were both in the (D=dot) DxDxD area, as the map reads now, one could attack via ranged but not melee.

I guess thematicaly it makes sence , but mechanicaly there should have been dots there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Although the spaces when counting out where dots should be creates fringe issues. Assuming a minion and a hero were both in the (D=dot) DxDxD area, as the map reads now, one could attack via ranged but not melee.

That's exactly it: you can shoot at the person 10 feet away across the desk and chair from you, but you can't punch him/her. You can shoot at the person across the rack from you (because it's a low, LP/record store style shelf, graphically), but you can't punch that person. There's a 5 foot deep rack between you.

I don't see this as a fringe issue, I see it as the intent. But maybe you were referring to something else per "fringe issue".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put a disclaimer on the image and ill update if i need to shift or remove lines, when TRJ clears it up hopefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.