ProPro
United Kingdom
GLASGOW
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
I got my first team player board game in Pandemic and we've really enjoyed playing it. I particularly like the challenge, especially as there are multiple ways to lose yet only one way to win, so it's great for promoting teamwork and enjoying game time with family (rather than arguing over Monopoly or backstabbing each other in Risk). My main criticisms of it are that there is a lot of setup required and it does get more predictable the more you play it.

We're still loving it though, but I would like recommendations of other team player board games, to try a new scenario, or take on a different type of challenge entirely.

What games would you recommend and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think almost any co-op game will do.

Just look for one that peeks your interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For something similar: Flashpoint: Fire Rescue

For a different kind of co-op: Hanabi

For a real-time co-op: Escape: The Curse of the Temple or Space Alert

With a fantasy theme: Legends of Andor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some expansions for Pandemic that you could investigate:
Pandemic: On the Brink
Pandemic: In the Lab

Pandemic was also re-done as a legacy game. Especially if you have a consistent group of players, check out:
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you feel about Shadows over Camelot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert and Forbidden Island

Also Pandemic: The Cure which is the dice version of pandemic. Plays quite fast and doesn't require much setup. It has a huge expansion: Pandemic: The Cure – Experimental Meds

+1 Legends of Andor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something heavier try Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island or Dead of Winter: The Long Night. I really like RC because it has a number of different scenarios that you can play. The DoW games have a possibility of a traitor but you can play without the traitor. This War of Mine: The Board Game also looks pretty interesting but the games are pretty long.

If you want something lighter go with Forbidden Desert.

If you want a different flavor of Pandemic, go with Pandemic: Iberia or get the Pandemic: In the Lab expansion.

If you want a story, try Mice and Mystics.

Finally you may want to try Terraforming Mars. It is a competitive game but everyone is attempting to terraform the planet. The common goal makes it feel a little cooperative, even though it is definitely a competitive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Ghost Stories the other day and one of the first-time players commented that some of it's elements reminded him of Pandemic, like a bit of positioning strategy, unique player abilities and the way priorities constantly change every turn. They walked away really enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely second Ghost Stories. Really good game. Don't own it, but my group does. If you play it a lot, then the Ghost Stories: White Moon expansion is very good as well, but I would not use that until you are very accustomed to the main game.

From the same designer as Pandemic, Forbidden Desert is really good as well.

My current favorite coop is Mechs vs. Minions, but this is a more expensive game, and more 'madcap fun' than a game like pandemic which is far more puzzly and thinky. So coming from a love of Pandemic it may not be for you.

If you want a larger player count social coop then I love Mysterium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny B
United States
California
flag msg tools
Burgle Bros. is a game I am interested in. You are a team of thieves trying to pull off a building heist. Thieves vs. guards & security systems.

Only available from the designer's website: Fowers Games link

Edit: Another 10 minute real time co-op is FUSE. It is just cards and dice. It has a little bit of dexterity. It takes up a small area and is quicker to set up than Escape. (I like Escape too.) It also has a heavier weight follow up, Flatline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is hard to suggest anything without knowing how experienced you are as a gamer. But I guess you are not at "beginner level" since you already know Pandemic?

I love Ghost stories, which several people have suggested already. The main problem with that game is that it is NOT easy to learn. Best way of doing that is to have someone knowing the game to teach it. It is not impossible on your own, but it is hard.

If you want something a bit more simple (but still fun) I suggest Castle Panic I could even get my mother to play that one. If, however, you are more experienced gamers you will probably find it to easy and if you are, the expansion The Wizard's Tower is a necessity.

I do not think Forbidden island is something for you if you already gotten tired of Pandemic. It is called "Pandemic light" for a reason. If you want to go for a game by the same designer maybe Forbidden Desert could be interesting. But that game seems to be either loved or hated so rather try before buy.

Mice and mystics has got an amazing story but in my opinion is it rather complicated and it is easy to forget one of the many rules and the flow of the game is interupted byt the numerous times I have to check the rulebook (but maybe I am slow).

I have heard lots of good things about Flash point, but I have never tried it myself.

If you want more "pandemic" I would recommend one of the expansions (personally I think the first one, one the brink is the best of the bunch) or Iberia. Iberia is IMO different enough to get some new challenges even if the basics is almost the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ProPro
United Kingdom
GLASGOW
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
evarina wrote:
I think it is hard to suggest anything without knowing how experienced you are as a gamer. But I guess you are not at "beginner level" since you already know Pandemic?

I'm quite experienced with Pandemic, but have yet to play it with the same group twice (which can be a bit frustrating explaining the rules over and over again) and have no experience with any other co-op games yet. I am wondering about Flashpoint as it looks like a simpler concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ProPro
United Kingdom
GLASGOW
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
How would you feel about Shadows over Camelot?

Hmm dunno, it looks pretty good but also like it would take up LOTS of space

Currently we have a small coffee table we usually play on xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Draws
Japan
Aizuwakamatsu
Fukushima
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pandemic was the tipping point that got my boyfriend /really/ into board games. As such, last Christmas I decided try to push him a bit further into the pool. He really loves co-op games so with some browsing in the /r/boardgames suggestion list, I got him Battlestar Galactica.

In terms of learning the rules, we found it be heavier but not /too/ much heavier than Pandemic. Set-up will definitely take more time.

Even if you're not familiar with the theme, everyone we've introduced it to has had a lot of fun working together (and/or secretly working aginst everyone). The skill checks are great fun (especially when we waaaaaaay overshoot them.) The crisis cards produce a very similar feeling of anxiety as the infection cards in Pandemic. Our non-gamer friends we've introduced it too have also enjoyed it.

We've ended up getting all of the expansions for BSG when we were home visiting in August and TheMightyApe.co.nz coincidentally had a big game sale. (We had tried our FLGS in Chch first but to no luck.) This is also the game that made my boyfriend realise that sleeving cards is very zen and relaxing for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.