Subject: Best with 3 players? Why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
According to the BGG poll Season 2 is best with 3 players. Anyone with experience with the game have an idea why 3 players is rated higher than 2 or 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Unkynd wrote:
According to the BGG poll Season 2 is best with 3 players. Anyone with experience with the game have an idea why 3 players is rated higher than 2 or 4?

Well, you start with one extra card (8 cards dealt in two/four, 9 in three), and you get another job in exchange.

I dunno, I'm a fourthie, and I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dodd
United States
Coraopolis
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have also been 6 total voters, so far, so take that rating with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blackburn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And most people probably aren't playing this with varying player counts. Nobody has experience to compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Starting with more cards in hand can work out as a huge advantage. Further into the year once you’ve upgraded cards and characters it was possible in Season 1 for someone to start with all the cards they needed to Cure a disease immediately in their first turn.

In 2 it might be possible to start with all the cards you need to build a structure in turn 1.

Even if four players have the cards between them it can take a while to get them all into the hand of a single player.

(I mean it doesn’t happen every game but can happen more than once)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In season one, it was generally accepted that the easiest player count to have a dominant win with was three. I imagine it's the same in season 2, because this comes down to the basic balance between starting setting, board reach and ability to interact that enable you to do the things needed to win.

It should be noted that 'easiest' it not the same as 'best'. In my opinion Season 1 was best with 4 players and I think season 2 will be the same. That's when it's at it's most complex and it also enables you, ultimately, to 'use more stuff'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't finished Season 1 yet, but should get close this weekend. We have ran with the same 4 players for the whole game. I can see some arguments against 4 in seasin 1; primarily the downtime when someone is trying to figure out their turn. We try not to Alpha and let everyone make their own decisions unless they ask for help.

I figured the best with 3 recommendation was based on that, but wasn't sure why 3 would be higher than 2. Also the season 1 poll has Best with 4 as the clear winner. The synergies between careers makes sense though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems silly to even vote on that at this stage. I don't think anybody could make an accurate assessment until after playing through multiple campaigns, each at a different player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.