Hide
5 Posts

Noria» Forums » Reviews

Subject: 2 Player Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J W
msg tools
Just a quick report on a 2-player game, because it was asked for in another forum.

We played one round yesterday, it took about 1h. However, we did not try to optimize the wheel very much, so it might take longer for big thinkers.

I did not feel there was much interaction in the game. There were more than enough discs, factories, and ships for both players. The only aggressive play was removing a dice from a chamber where the other player was walking up. Paying one resource when moving up a shared path or flying to a shared island does not kill you.

So...for 2 players it feels more like a single optimization game, but it still is fun. Looking forward for a game with 3-4 players, to see how the coalitions on the paths work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it now twice with 2 players and must say, I kinda agree but not on the scoring track.
It's definitely the weakest part of the game with 2. And also the meanest.

Imho my personal feelings towards this game is the scoring towers keep this from being a great game. Some kind of market with contracts to fulfill would have been so much better Imho. Cause the action wheel really is such a neat way to select actions, the islands, the resource gathering, all really great. Scoring just decent with more players, and weak with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Noria is basically a stock game in disguise- and most stock games don't shine with only two players.

Personally, I'd be way less interested in the game if you just converted your resources into a fixed # of VP via contracts or whatever. I find the shared incentive considerations of stock games much much more interesting; whether these dynamics are realized to their full potential in Noria I don't know. I've only read the rules and haven't yet played, but I'll probably go for a full player count whenever I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jester75 wrote:
Just a quick report on a 2-player game, because it was asked for in another forum.

We played one round yesterday, it took about 1h. However, we did not try to optimize the wheel very much, so it might take longer for big thinkers.

I did not feel there was much interaction in the game. There were more than enough discs, factories, and ships for both players. The only aggressive play was removing a dice from a chamber where the other player was walking up. Paying one resource when moving up a shared path or flying to a shared island does not kill you.

So...for 2 players it feels more like a single optimization game, but it still is fun. Looking forward for a game with 3-4 players, to see how the coalitions on the paths work out.

Just played this with my wife for the 1st time and can agree for 100%. Expected a little more tension between 2 players. But my wife likes it so i will keep it for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland B
Germany
Stolberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
We played it now twice with 2 players and must say, I kinda agree but not on the scoring track.
It's definitely the weakest part of the game with 2. And also the meanest.

Imho my personal feelings towards this game is the scoring towers keep this from being a great game. Some kind of market with contracts to fulfill would have been so much better Imho. Cause the action wheel really is such a neat way to select actions, the islands, the resource gathering, all really great. Scoring just decent with more players, and weak with 2.

I absolutely understand that point of view but with that change it would have been a skip for me as this would be too samy then to other games. Yes, it can be mean, but the formation of certain alliances without saying adds a lot of interaction to a game that doesn't have too much of it else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.