Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch out. My copy of 2nd edition upgrade pack didn't have the rulebook in it. Not sure if it was just me. Contacted SMG about it, we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
come to think of it, mine didn't either.

EDIT: No rulebook with the upgrade package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i bought the game, not the upgrade pack.

it contained the rulebook BUT it reaches pages 13 and then it replicates the previous pages in opposite order, to recover with page 26. so it is basically missing page 14-25.

and i don't think such a mistake could be a single case, so even if you had the rulebook probably you had to receive a new one anyway.

i contacted SMG about it, i have no intention to go throw the living rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also no rulebook here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh oh, thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upgraded rulebook was main reason I supported this on Kickstater.
BTW, how many bionts is in Upgrade pack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
One of each color. Keep in mind, that these are different bionts than from 1st ed. They're somewhat bigger and without matte finnish. Not a terrible issue, but they will definitely feel different.

In general, the quality of all the cards and placards is a notch worse compared to 1st ed. They're more sticky and flimsy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
One of each color. Keep in mind, that these are different bionts than from 1st ed. They're somewhat bigger and without matte finnish. Not a terrible issue, but they will definitely feel different.

In general, the quality of all the cards and placards is a notch worse compared to 1st ed. They're more sticky and flimsy.

Funny, I'm thinking quite the opposite.

I like the new cards and placards , they feel and look better. The bionts are somewhat different from the 1st Edition.
But, since they are not hidden informations, it didn't matter for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's a fact that they are less rigid and bend easier. Also, because of their finish, they tend to stick to each other and since they are compressed very hard, when unpacked, they leave some paint on each other. That definitely wasn't a problem with 1ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, mine didn't stick together, they didn't left paint on each other.
The rest, in my opinion, is more a matter of taste than of quality.
But ymmv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Easier to bend is not a taste, it's an objective property.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said, ymmv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the upgrade pack at Spiel.
Is there actually anything that changed about the content of the game? The only changes I noticed were the artwork of the big cell - thingies on the big cards and some layout tweaks. Oh, but the biggest change was the thinner and lower quality cards stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Vjaas wrote:
Is there actually anything that changed about the content of the game? The only changes I noticed were the artwork of the big cell - thingies on the big cards and some layout tweaks.

Icons on cards, sometimes a bit different icons on cards, text next to icons where there was no text. Organism form icon next to title (landform, etc.). Placards got better artwork (less symbolic, more artistic) and a lot more information (and better organized) with regards to dice and rolls.

Vjaas wrote:
Oh, but the biggest change was the thinner and lower quality cards stock. :(

Yeah, sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Backhaus
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Watch out. My copy of 2nd edition upgrade pack didn't have the rulebook in it. Not sure if it was just me. Contacted SMG about it, we'll see.

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't receive a rulebook as well. This will lead to my third email to SMG since picking up my preorders at Essen. There seem to be some issues with this years games: several damaged cards and missing pieces in my copy of Bios Megafauna and missing pieces in my copy of John Company. No big deal though as long as I get replacements from SMG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, they must be in damage control mode at this point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll wait to some point to hear what Sierra Madre is telling us about this.
Since I've printed the living rules some time ago, I'm not in a hurry.

The BIOS: Megafauna 2 mail is already sent.

This year it seem they are not the luckiest ones... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
yes it's a bit of Murphy's law it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forseti wrote:
rattkin wrote:

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't receive a rulebook as well. This will lead to my third email to SMG since picking up my preorders at Essen. There seem to be some issues with this years games: several damaged cards and missing pieces in my copy of Bios Megafauna and missing pieces in my copy of John Company. No big deal though as long as I get replacements from SMG.

could you tell exactly what were the problems in megafauna? i didn't open my copy yet, since i wanted to play them in order and i miss the rules for genesis, but at this point maybe i should check it :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27305005#27305005
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, seems like there are reports of many issues... makes me a little apprehensive.

Maybe they should use a new manufacturer for their next games. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Backhaus
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitTch wrote:
Forseti wrote:
rattkin wrote:

could you tell exactly what were the problems in megafauna? i didn't open my copy yet, since i wanted to play them in order and i miss the rules for genesis, but at this point maybe i should check it :/

Apart from the misprinted cards several cards are stuck together. You can't separate them without damage. Also the white discs are entirely missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has SMG changed printers from its previous productions? I'm just wondering why there are so many reports of problems with this particular batch of games. (I'm assuming these issues span all of the games that were included in the recent Kickstarter? Any word on John Company?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
Has SMG changed printers from its previous productions? I'm just wondering why there are so many reports of problems with this particular batch of games. (I'm assuming these issues span all of the games that were included in the recent Kickstarter? Any word on John Company?)

Yes they did.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/684398802/bios-genesis-...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/684398802/bios-genesis-...

Quote:
Sierra Madre Games Creator on May 23
@Jedra7609 and Conrado: Thanks guys. We'll bear it in mind. I'm hoping that since we are ordering A LOT of games from them (Phil is ordering 4 games x 2000-4000 units each) that they will take the time to do it properly for repeat business. Phil has said he keep a careful eye on them to make sure they do as they promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that the switch from the previous, more-expensive publisher because of an increase in the price of paper led to the cards being printed less expensively on (reportedly) lower-quality paper.

(From the first KS link above: "(Please note we had to very recently change manufacturer since our previous one increased the price due to paper price fluctuations)."

I'll reserve judgment until I see them in person, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

edit: This KS link about the printer was pretty eye-opening:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/megacongames/mercs-reco...

I'm glad I'm not a hobby game publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.