Subject: Replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
spavanko
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I like the artwork and gameplay, but one thing that concerns me is replayability? I have a feel it will become repetitive. I wish that there were different goals in every game (bonus points), like something in games Barenpark, Isle of Skye...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
You might watch this review, by Zee Garcia of the Dice Tower, who specifically addresses the issue in his "target audience" analysis system.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/152233/azul/azul-review-zee-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
lavov wrote:
I like the artwork and gameplay, but one thing that concerns me is replayability? I have a feel it will become repetitive. I wish that there were different goals in every game (bonus points), like something in games Barenpark, Isle of Skye...

The dynamic drafting keeps the game fresh, plus the game is pretty fast and plays differently at different player counts and personalities.

I'm nearly 60 games in in the last month and still enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spavanko
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
You might watch this review, by Zee Garcia of the Dice Tower, who specifically addresses the issue in his "target audience" analysis system.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/152233/azul/azul-review-zee-...

I also saw in review of JonGetsGames that variability is less than expected:
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/153539/azul/jongetsgames-azu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lavov wrote:

I think you have to accept that all games have a repetitive nature and abstracts generally have a lower variability due to their nature of moves of pieces on a board.

The questions to me are: Is it fun? Is it something where you have to learn to be good at it? Is it something I can introduce to others I know?

If I can answer yes to these then it is worth having on my shelf.

Luckily, I apply a few other criteria otherwise I would have bought a lot more.

Despite some people’s upset at the cost of boardgames they are still great value when compared to other pastimes.

YMMV

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
lavov wrote:

The reason why I bought it is that it has none of that. In my opinion there are way too many games that choose variability in mechanisms over player interaction that very often will give that variability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mudshark_baby wrote:

I think you have to accept that all games have a repetitive nature and abstracts generally have a lower variability due to their nature of moves of pieces on a board.

M B

What, like Chess and Go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.