GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,571 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Carnival of Monsters» Forums » News

Subject: Kickstarter failed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Keller
Germany
Dietzenbach
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

this is what I just posted on Kickstarter. Just wanted to let you know here as well.

Also to all of you here: Thank you very much for your feedback. :)

Talk to you soon,
Bernd

---

Hey folks,

thank you very much for the trust you put into our idea and thanks a lot for all your comments and feedback.

We decided to stop the campaign at this point.

We always knew that our campaign would not be a walk in the park and it turned out, that at least with that assumption, we were not wrong. ;) With some other assumptions, we obviously were pretty off.

We did mistakes and we know it.

We will use the coming weeks to carefully read all your comments and feedback again and think about how to proceed from here.

Thank you very much again for your help and we will keep you posted.

Signing off for now,

Bernd Keller

AMIGO Spiel + Freizeit GmbH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan AllThatJazz
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sorry to read. Looking forward what other ways you'll find the bring the game to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Kooheji
msg tools
mbmb
I backed this off the back of the name of the designer and the artists, I can see there were issues with it, but I wasn't that fussed.

So why do people think this failed?

Unrealistic funding goal?
High cost for a 240 card game?
Kickstarting a finished product to pay for the art?
Not enough details/information?
No rules?
No stretch goals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear the Kickstarter failed. The game looked very promising. I backed it because of the publisher (Amigo publishes some great games), the designer and the artists.

Maybe there wasn't a finished product to show. But isn't kickstarter about creating something new in stead of a pre-order site?

Hopefully you'll find another way of making this game become reality and I'll happily Purchase a copy next Spiel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Rodriguez
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please send everybody that back the original project know, if the game will be reintroduced through kickstarter again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
ohmz wrote:
I backed this off the back of the name of the designer and the artists, I can see there were issues with it, but I wasn't that fussed.

So why do people think this failed?

Unrealistic funding goal?
High cost for a 240 card game?
Kickstarting a finished product to pay for the art?
Not enough details/information?
No rules?
No stretch goals?

I would say the cost was the main thing at $70 to the US it was out of line with similar size games from similarly well known designers. While the idea behind the art work is cool, it's not cool enough to turn this into something most people would view as worth $70 even if all the stretch goals were reached.

I think if the price had been more in line with the market the funding goal might have actually been realistic.

Aside from that there was nothing in the campaign to incentivize backing it VS waiting for retail. The usefulness of the player boards is marginal at best, so premium player board are of limited appeal. The coins look nice enough, but at that point we're talking about nearly $100 for a relatively small card game. The coins don't look that nice... Really it's back to price again, no matter how nice and varied the art is or shiny the coins, this just doesn't seem like a game that is worth $70-100 ($160 if you live in Australia) to own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Scheel
msg tools
What killed this for me were the outrageous shipping costs. I know that to Australia the shipping costs were of around 70 euros, but to South America (where I live) the shipping cost alone was of 100 euros!!!! Impossible to accept... I would rather buy 4 heavy games (that are proved to be great) that I can get in less time than a month than pay for this game, which by the way I don’t even know how the final product will look and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernd, I think it is pretty admirable of you to own up to the mistakes. That takes guts and is the right thing to do. Not easy.

Here is my feedback if it would help explain why I did not personally back:

- Cost was too high for what was coming in the box. I realize you have a higher cost burden with a variety of known artists...you may consider less artists to start with to reduce cost as well as reduce your funding goal...I want to ask this question as well...Does the game play standout above and beyond the artists? If you didn't have any of the artists you planned would the game be just as successful? If so maybe the highest cost artists should be subbed out for newer lesser known artists who would be willing to produce prototype components to be involved? Maybe the most expensive artists are actually hurting the project by making the game way more expensive that it needs to be?

- Game play was not featured on the Kickstarter...Outside of Tom Vasel's video I did not get a good feel on how this game even plays. You may want to look into putting together a playthrough video. This means solidifying rules and even posting them during the campaign.

- Shipping costs were high and being unknown during the campaign is a major issue...I as a backer would like to know what I am getting into. Also it did not affect me but some shipping costs internationally were crazy high...you might as well not even offer it there.

Anyways this is just one person's opinion and feedback...maybe I am off on all points that is for you to discern as you have received much input.

all the best Bernd!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B C
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just think it was unusual to do a kickstarter without even seeing sample prototype art... and I guess it didn't pay off. It was banked largely on the promise of getting the artists to do the art, but because the art wasn't actually done yet, I think it probably made people feel uneasy.
Usually, for board games on KS, they are usually much further along in development than what CoM appeared to be.

This art issue is probably even more important in CoM, since it is all about the monsters... people need to get excited about the monsters, but have a much harder time without the art. Also, the funding goal was pretty high; if they were aiming for a lower funding goal, it probably would have been funded for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fjaoaoaoao wrote:
Also, the funding goal was pretty high; if they were aiming for a lower funding goal, it probably would have been funded for sure.
I nearly made an equivalent comment: when a project seems a million miles from funding it makes it look like a failing project, which then becomes self-fulfilling. However, I didn't post because the high funding level was probably necessary to be able to afford the top-flight artists. If they'd set a lower funding level there was a risk that they'd fund, but not have the money to pay for all the promised art. That would be very, very bad.

Perhaps the funding level should have been set at the costing necessary for "second tier" or "generic" art. Stretch goals could then have funded substituting a top-tier artist, one faction at a time.

Garfield's name wasn't enough of a draw (I don't think he really is a draw in hobby game circles these days, unlike in TCG circles - I assume), but I do feel that the game was "done" from a rules perspective, it's just that there's no art yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
On KS a lot of things are not what they seem. Most funding goals aren't "the" goal at all. A lot of projects are cancelled although they have reached their "goal". Most projects' real target is the one after the 10th stretch goal. That's just how it is. If you don't play by those effective rules, you're bound to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever it's worth -- what seemed incongruous to me about this project was that it was attempting to give the Cadillac treatment to a brand new game. I know that other KS projects have done this, but I think it's a far easier sell to ask people to invest in the Cadillac treatment for a game that people already know and like than to pay a premium price for a fancy version of a game they've never played and don't really know whether they'll like or not. So, it would seem that phase I would be to sell the game and then if, years later, it has sold through a few print runs, maybe at that time one would engage phase II, a 'special edition' with premium art. Demand for the 'director's cut' presumably comes mostly from people who are already familiar with and fans of a movie, and I assume a similar principle applies here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Copying myself from the other thread:

Coming in a few months, the CoM relaunch! Now with:

-Lower funding goal
-Cheaper shipping costs
-Realistic stretch goals
-More completed artwork to show off
-More paid previews

If they are smart, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Blank
Germany
Münster
Northrine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Well, I was very interested. It is a bit weird though, to have basically a deluxe version (with so many individual artworks by renowned artists) with an as-of-yet untested (as in, published and known, I know it gets playtesting) game. Given the unrealistacally high stretch goal target to get that goal, I had no incentive to back the game, rather than wait for a (non-deluxe) retail version.

I'm not sure why, but anything that does not include miniatures (or "mainstream appeal", you know the Exploding Kittens stuff) has a hard time on Kickstarter. I guess you need something even shinier than outstanding designer&artists, which are both just promises of a great game when we don't really see much of the art or gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolmogorv wrote:
I'm not sure why, but anything that does not include miniatures (or "mainstream appeal", you know the Exploding Kittens stuff) has a hard time on Kickstarter.
For the same reasons that game published through traditional channels has a hard time unless there's some "hook": the sheer quantity of competing products. Now, a KS project has to have a "mass appeal hook" of some kind or something really special about it as a game/product to distinguish itself from the crowd and draw in backers. Think about it: how many of the 1000+ games "launched" at Essen Spiel 2017 are you (a) aware of or (b) interested in buying. Same goes for KS, but with KS there's not just the "pig in a poke" risk element as there is with traditional publishing, there's also the financial risk too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.