8 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Tomb of Annihilation Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Fixing Bends and Warped Miiniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warrick P
msg tools
mb
So nothing is too far gone in my miniatures. Spears and staves are the common culprit. I don't even care too much about the tiny ones. However, whenever I've fixed things like this in the past I've done it BEFORE painting. This time I (thankfully) bought the premium version and am trying to fix it post painting.

Technique #1 for me is to immerse the part of the miniature that bent in warm water and straighten it that way. That seems like a REALLY bad idea with already painted minis.

Technique #2 would be to use a blow dryer to warm up the mini and straighten it once warmed. I haven't used that way before on paint so am wondering if that might also be a bad idea.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which method I should use or if there is another one that would be better?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Warrick wrote:
So nothing is too far gone in my miniatures. Spears and staves are the common culprit. I don't even care too much about the tiny ones. However, whenever I've fixed things like this in the past I've done it BEFORE painting. This time I (thankfully) bought the premium version and am trying to fix it post painting.

Technique #1 for me is to immerse the part of the miniature that bent in warm water and straighten it that way. That seems like a REALLY bad idea with already painted minis.

Technique #2 would be to use a blow dryer to warm up the mini and straighten it once warmed. I haven't used that way before on paint so am wondering if that might also be a bad idea.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which method I should use or if there is another one that would be better?

Thanks

I've used the hot water method on the Premium Edition and had no issues doing so.

The Pterafolk were the biggest culprit as the position of the wings wouldn't allow the base to lie flat. I used it on Artus Cimber's bow and arrow along with a few of the small miniatures to get them to stand up vertically. No problems with any of this.

Poured boiling water into a small dish, waited less than a minute and then placed the model in the water for a few seconds. Removed, made adjustments and inserted into a bowl of cold water.

EDIT: In most cases I was only dipping the base and feet in the hot water, not the entire model. I did dip the Asharra miniature in head first to try and straighten his spear, trouble with that is the spear eventually remembered it's twisted form again after a while.

EDIT2: I've also used the hot water method on a number of the Wizkids pre-painted miniatures, Pathfinder and D&D ranges, no problems with them being pre-painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
EDIT: In most cases I was only dipping the base and feet in the hot water
Were there ever any problems with the bases? They feel like a different, harder plastic so I'd be worried that it would warp oddly from the heat. If you say it's good then it'll make fixing some of mine a LOT easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
EverywhereGames wrote:
xris wrote:
EDIT: In most cases I was only dipping the base and feet in the hot water
Were there ever any problems with the bases? They feel like a different, harder plastic so I'd be worried that it would warp oddly from the heat. If you say it's good then it'll make fixing some of mine a LOT easier.

I was concerned about this as well, especially on the larger bases of the Pterafolk.

I've had no problems with the bases. The bases Wizkids use seem to be of a harder plastic than that used with the body of the miniature and so far none of them have warped when placed in the hot water.

The bases of the earlier D&DAS games (as well as earlier ranges of D&D pre-painted miniatures) were made of (I assume) the same material of the body of the miniature and they would sometimes come warped. Worse is that the hot water method wasn't very successful with these earlier bases.

The early range of D&D Miniatures (from 2003 to 2010) were not made by Wizkids but directly by Wizards of the Coast. The first three D&DAS games, WoA, CR and LoD, used the same process as well as the same molds as the D&D miniature ranges. The plastics used for the miniature and the bases seems to be the same softer material and for the larger bases, they could warp.

Wizkids have been making a similar range of miniatures both for Pathfinder Battles (since 2011) as well as the more recent D&D Icons of the Realms (since 2014). They've always used a harder plastic for the bases and it's rare to see a warped base for either of these ranges.

Hot water hasn't caused any issues with the pre-painted miniatures of any of these. If anything the bases of the Wizkids miniatures, which use a harder plastic, are better at resisting any warping effect and they don't warp when placed in hot water. They do soften so care needs to be taken but not unduly so, they seem to retain their flatness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used dipping in near boiling water and then ice water on dozens of miniatures and never had an issue. I was nervous the first time I tried it on pre-painted miniatures but it works fine. You can even do it on properly varnished self-painted minis but be a bit more careful about rubbing.

The bases are usually more resistant to hot water so you shouldn't need to worry about them. Occasionally, you'll have a factory warped base and need to heat it up longer than usual, then press it onto a flat area to straighten.

I've never tried the hair dryer method, but be extra careful if you go that route as it can get too hot if you aren't paying attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek K.
Poland
flag msg tools
For me unfortunately hot water method works for only few hours... As it was written earlier, plastic "remembers" his original position and doesn't want to cooperate for longer time :/ Any ideas, how to fix that? Should I keep the figures in hot water for few hours or what
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suld wrote:
For me unfortunately hot water method works for only few hours... As it was written earlier, plastic "remembers" his original position and doesn't want to cooperate for longer time :/ Any ideas, how to fix that? Should I keep the figures in hot water for few hours or what

This has been my experience as well; sometimes it lasts for a few days, but usually returns eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo the fool
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are you putting the figures into cold water AFTER reshaping?

I have not found any return to their pre-fix shape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.