Hide
11 Posts

Mordheim: City of the Damned» Forums » Rules

Subject: Not very intuitive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Mack
msg tools
With the momentum surrounding Frostgrave and my recent love for the original Warhammer Quest, I began to read the rules of Mordheim, out of curiosity. I am not very impressed: a lot of points seems arbitrary. Maybe you can correct me or explain me how the following points works:

A charge cannot be done on an enemy if another enemy is close enough of the charge path to intercept/block the charge. If miniature A is one inch away of miniature B, and miniature C can intercept the charge of A, how can A attack B since it cannot charge? (The rules also says that melee fight can be done only after charging) The rules seems absurd on small distance. Also it seems arbitrary: maybe B has better to do that to intercept a charge (like avoiding a dangerous enemy in the area), so assuming it will always block the charge is counter-intuitive for me.

If a miniature has to shot, it has to shot on the closest enemy miniature (with some exceptions). The explanation is that the danger represented by this enemy's miniature is the strongest. Why should the player not decide what constitute the strongest danger? Maybe there is dangerous wizard a bit further away than a weaker closer Joe and it would be better to shoot on the wizard. According to the rules it is not possible.

What do you guys think? Am I being too harsh with my reading of the rules for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and no. Both situations have effect on the game. But, both rules are there for valid reasons. Because the game's campaign features leaders and henchmen, there are reasons for henchmen (think scrubs) to intercept chargers and/or take shooting hits. And, otherwise protect the Big guys. And, the survival and advancement of those big guys is organic to success in the game. Plus, it cuts both ways. You wont mind the "Closest Target" rule when your scrub is closest.

I'm not trying to minimize your concerns. I do think your charging scenario is situational. And, you aren't going to be playing the game in the Mordheim Intergalactic Finals. IF you can even find a friend or two who want to play, good on you. You can always work out the kinks with friend(s).

Besides, if your games don't always end up in a scrum in the middle of the board, you are doing something right that I've never really overcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
badge
A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding to what Mark has Said, the strongest point of Mordheim are the campaign rules, by far. The skirmishes by themselves are meh, but the way narrative flows in a campaign is brilliant. The promition/upgrade/wound system gives each unit personality, and makes you care for them.

Mordheim is great if you want a game with emergent narrative. If you want a finely balanced tactical game, do look elsewhere, because that's not Mordheim's strong suit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mack
msg tools
Thank you all for you replies. I am not expecting something very balanced, just something fun. A good emergent narrative is great. I am nonetheless expecting rules that have some logic that I can understand.

Going back to the charge rules, how do you attack an enemy when somebody can intercept the charge? If I understand correctly it is also forbidden to just walk until the bases are touching: one must charge to go into melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
badge
A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.
mbmbmbmbmb
bq6JdWSqS1 wrote:
Thank you all for you replies. I am not expecting something very balanced, just something fun. A good emergent narrative is great. I am nonetheless expecting rules that have some logic that I can understand.

Going back to the charge rules, how do you attack an enemy when somebody can intercept the charge? If I understand correctly it is also forbidden to just walk until the bases are touching: one must charge to go into melee.

Units involved in combat can't intercept a charge so, if you really want to charge the unit in the back, you have to charge the offending units first. Also, the interception is optional, which can lead to interesting scenarios, where the first unit is allowed to go through, but following units are blocked.

Maybe it's because I'm used to other engines, but this makes perfect thematic sense to me: would a soldier in the front line hold the line so badly that wouldn't even try to stop people running past him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't charge them. That's the idea. You need to either maneuver around to somewhere where you can charge them, or take out their protector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mack
msg tools
What happens if you walk until the bases are in touch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bq6JdWSqS1 wrote:

You bump into each other
say how do you do
tip your hat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mixykym wrote:
bq6JdWSqS1 wrote:

You bump into each other
say how do you do
tip your hat

And they probably do not like your breath...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bq6JdWSqS1 wrote:
Why should the player not decide what constitute the strongest danger? Maybe there is dangerous wizard a bit further away than a weaker closer Joe and it would be better to shoot on the wizard.

Thematically You may think it would be hard to tell if that big woman approaching your position with a mace is a spellcaster or the other has an armour under her corset, in the heat of a battle. You'll find out the moment your arrow hit the target.

bq6JdWSqS1 wrote:

By the rules it can't simply happen. Two bases may be in contact only as a result of a successful charge.
You simply position the base 1mm far from the enemy one(s).
Other story for allied miniatures, whose bases can touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mack
msg tools
Thank you for giving a very clear explanation. And thanks everybody for giving me a good feeling of the ambient :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.