Subject: Replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
spavanko
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Can you play this game multiple time with different group of players? Or you can literally throw it in the garbage once you played it, because some parts of game are permanently destroyed (scratched)? Not even sell it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fontaine
Canada
flag msg tools
It's a full on Legacy game, so a one-time campaign is what it is. You will permanently change the board, rip up cards etc. Some people don't like this in a boardgame, but take into consideration you will play a minimum of 12 games (maximum of 24) of about 1h-1h30. I think it's well worth the price as Legacy games have provided some of the most exciting boardgame moments for me, but others will disagree. Up to you to know if you're into that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaya John
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If you play it as recommended, you will destroy cards, place stickers on the board and cards and write on the board as you go. So it would be a one-time play through. As Eric said, the campaign represents at least 12 games lasting 1 to 1.5 hours each. The number of games and time for each including discussions depends on your group. Some of our Season 2 games have been longer, if you include discussion beforehand and afterwards.

People will have different opinions about whether it is advisable to try to play the same copy multiple times, but it is certainly possible, with some work.

To give you an idea of what it would take to preserve and replay your copy:

- you can avoid permanent changes by setting cards aside instead of destroying them. The rules this time say you can do what you like instead of destroying cards.

- you can write on tape instead of directly on the board. Scotch Magic tape works very well for this and is reasonably quick too.

Resetting the game once you are done, so that another group could replay it, is doable but is more work to avoid spoilers for new players. (It's less work if you're restarting with the same group).

To avoid spoilers for new people, you'll have to: remove stickers, put things back in boxes, put things back into the dossiers (they are like advent calendars), cover up items which had silvery coatings scratched off and put the Legacy deck back in its original order.

I've done this for Pandemic Legacy Season 1 and got 3 plays so far out of my copy. Once was a complete reset for new people.

Last thought: probably after a couple of months, someone will prepare files here on BGG with a suggested way to reset Season 2. Then it will be easier to do.

EDIT: to answer your last question, because of the many changes along the way, it's very questionable whether anyone should be selling this after using it. You'd pretty much have to know the person and know that they did a flawless job of resetting their copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony K
msg tools
mb
It is worth noting that there will be added steps to do this with season 2.

Spoilers for end of January:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The supply lines that you draw will need to be done in a non-permanent way that also won't be erased between games

Also, from other's reviews, it seems there might be some aspects of this season that are even more difficult to undo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lap Ho Cheung
United States
Aiea
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the same question has to be ask on every single legacy game????? (sorry can't resist to reply with this..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony K
msg tools
mb
lastsurvivor00 wrote:
Do the same question has to be ask on every single legacy game????? (sorry can't resist to reply with this..)

Yes. Consider that the people who do not know how legacy games work also do not frequent legacy game forums, therefore none are aware that this is a question that is asked often. Try to be patient with people not knowing the same things you know. They didn't do anything wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acemind1 wrote:
lastsurvivor00 wrote:

Yes. Consider that the people who do not know how legacy games work also do not frequent legacy game forums, therefore none are aware that this is a question that is asked often. Try to be patient with people not knowing the same things you know. They didn't do anything wrong.

Why even enter a forum that is discussing a question you find frustrating?

Personally, I find these discussions interesting, and hope the snark from people joining the discussion just to be snarky never discourage new people to legacy games from asking the question.

To the OP: I have played Pandemic Legacy Season 1 with my family 18 times. The entire experience was far and away the best gaming experience of our lives! And the 18 games we played far eclipsed the number of sessions we had with any other game in our collection. In fact, I am sure we will never play any other game anywhere close to 18 times! Well, except for Pandemic Legacy Season 2! I can't wait to play it 18 times!! And the fact the game gets consumed is of no consequence to us...the experience is so unique, and oh so very satisfying, that it is way more than worth the cost of the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fontaine
Canada
flag msg tools
I want to add to what Chad mentioned, and this might be different for every gaming group, but Legacy games tend to make you get together and play more often in order to discover all the new hidden aspects.

Our group gets together at least every two weeks (often once a week or more when we can), but I have to say out of my game collection (at least 25 games), very few have seen as many playthroughs as Risk Legacy (17 games, I know it's more than the 15, but there was a tie and we didnt want it to go to the tie breaker) or Pandemic Legacy 1 (17 games I believe).

So even though the game is a one time deal (playing it a way you can reset after its done would be A LOT of extra work), you will most likely get more out of it than a regular game. My 2 cents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think PL 1 can be replayed with minimal hassle, but it would be significantly trickier with PL 2. If the story arc turns out to be similar, I would probably recommend just picking one month toward the end (October or November) to use as your final, replay-able state. Don't make permanent changes in the last couple of months (just record them on paper), and then you can play that particular month again and again.

This isn't to say I won't play the whole campaign again, I just plan to purchase another copy. I don't think it's remotely worth the effort of trying to make the whole thing replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
It's interesting there are very few threads on the forums about it this time around.

Having played a few months I get the feeling that replaying this just isn't feasible. Just like Seafall there would appear to be mechanics that totally break the game if you have advanced knowledge...

I'm thinking (March-ish spoilers)
The searches. If you can make a beeline to really helpful ones you can trivialize the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
You could play the last scenario as a regular Boardgame any number of times, but it will be a very complex game - your group "grows" with the addition off more rules. Not sure if anyone does that, but technically, you will have a functioning game.

But selling it like that will surely mean a very, very angry customer. Even if you wrote into the description that it is already used.

That being said, there are not that many games that I played 12 times, and that is the minimum for Pandemic Legacy (if you win every game). Take your favorite four games and think about how often you played them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredibul wrote:
You could play the last scenario as a regular Boardgame any number of times, but it will be a very complex game - your group "grows" with the addition off more rules. Not sure if anyone does that, but technically, you will have a functioning game.

Are you sure about that? This was not the case for pandemic legacy season 1 unless you house ruled a bunch of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Marshankin
Russia
Moscow
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!
Haven't found a better thread, so I'll ask here.

How is Season2's replayability if we're talking about a new box?

For instance, Season1 didn't really offer any new twists. Of course, you could have
different-colored COdA, or have your City Zero move from game to game.

However, the main story is pretty straightforward and scripted to follow a certain path. Thus, replaying S1 wasn't too intense story-wise.

Basically, if you had two copies of S1, the second box offered almost exactly the same experience as the first one. Is it the same with S2, or can you get two different games out of 2 identical boxes?

Haven't played S2 yet, so please, go easy on the spoilers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Season 2 is a bit less on rails, for sure. Even with just what's in the core rules, without opening anything, you can do recons in different orders and with different priorities, which can dramatically change your board state relative to other peoples' at the same time period.

There are, without wanting to spoil anything too much, way bigger things which will make your games different to other peoples' as well. Characters are also much more upgradeable than in S1, with 5 potential slots each, and the character abilities and upgrades tend to be slightly smaller scale than in S1, meaning that who you run and where you put upgrades can really change the rhythm of your game compared to others'.

If you do want to know some of them (we've just finished June and we've done all of the recons visible on the initial board) look within:

You can draw your own lines between locations, meaning your choices of where they go change things, particularly as these lines can't cross, so you often have a key choice to make about north/south versus east/west routes. When you do certain searches on newly connected cities is really crucial too. Not to mention the timing of when you find the first new Haven, which makes a MASSIVE different. And that's just a small and non-detailed sample of things that can change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
S1 replayability with new boxes is amazing IMO, even if you know the plot twists. also, it's not that hard to play a second box of S1 in a way that preserves it for more replays (wet erase markers work basically everywhere you'd consider applying a sticker)

S2 has major rule/design holes that mean if you have played it before you'll either break the game
by march/april (unable to win a single game until july)
or you have to intentionally play badly.

S2 is barely replayable enough to finish your first campaign...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.