3 Posts

Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Asymmetrical Maps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
F K
msg tools
mb
I have really enjoyed playing TI3 with asymmetrical maps many from the Shattered Ascension webpage. http://www.astralvault.net/games/SA/maps.html

Having not played TI4 yet, does anyone with experience think that using an asymmetrical map will be detrimental to game play in TI4?

I've always really enjoyed that asymmetrical maps get the different players into the universe and interacting much more quickly. It also seems like with the new transaction system having a potential for more than two neighbors on the map could be really exciting. Also, I find it much more pleasant for gameplay to have a map setup an ready to go when players arrive. I know some players really enjoy the map setup step, but personally I just don't care for it.

One of the biggest issues I can see so far is the Winnu getting a location that is closer to Mecatol. Anything else immediately apparent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd personally wait for a first expansion before delving into asymmetrical maps. All the SA maps required both expansions, and some of the more audacious ones expected you to have two sets.

At the moment, every red tiles and all but 2 blue tiles are present in every game, so there's not a lot of wiggle room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F K
msg tools
mb
I still think that asymmetrical maps have quite a bit of value even if you're only using the 'base' tile-set that comes with TI4.

1. They result in a faster setup since I can have the board ready before players arrive

2. They result in more player interaction since players are closer together

3. "Borders" are more vague and skirmishing becomes a lot more common. The idea of 'my space' is a lot more difficult to pin down.

4. You can put the 'good' systems further from players starting positions and force them to move into the galaxy. Having Bereg/Lirta IV next to your home system is crazy.

The Shattered Ascension guys have a pretty awesome custom map tool. It only has TI3 tiles as of now, but since most of the planets are the same except for the tech specialty it seems to work relatively well for designing TI4 maps.

http://www.astralvault.net/games/SA/script/index.php#

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.