Subject: Looking for some insight into Viron's mechanics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
With all of the Venus Next cards now spoiled, some of my friends and I exceitendly discussed over the weekend all of the cool new stuff we were looking forward to trying. After getting home, though, I realized something about Viron.

We discussed a bunch of cool possible uses for it: with one of the new Venus cards to turn a titanium into a venus step every turn, with cateraker contract not to worry so much about going too heavy on heat production, with AI Central of course for tons of extra free cards every generation, and my personal favorite with Aquifer Pumping to get to abusing Penguins ASAP.

The "problem"? None of the coolest things you can do with it seem particularly in-theme. Microbes are slow, cheap cards, and Viron would much rather be abusing more powerful effects. Does it not seem odd that our first Microbe corporation really doesn't care much for Microbes? Why is this?

Now, I've seen a few fan-made microbe-focused corporations on the forums here, and they all seem to have the same basic problem that made me doubtful we'd ever see a microbe corporation: Microbe cards are to rare to find and abuse near consistently. However, Venus next already solved this same sort of problem with two of its other new corporations by having them dig through the deck for particular sorts of cards. Celestic even adds resources to itself if you can't play the cards it had synergy with. If we wanted a microbe corporation, why not something like that? Was it just a concern for too many of the expansion corporations to use the same sort of mechanic and end up looking too similar?

Or maybe for an alternate version of the question, why go for a microbe theme for this mechanic? The mechanic is certainly interesting, but it would have been easy to theme another, more appropriate way. Why microbes for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Couch
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are A LOT of microbes in Venus next. It's going to become a much more seen tag, and they are mostly, if not entirely blue cards.
Buy worm futures now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Robo Fish wrote:
There are A LOT of microbes in Venus next. It's going to become a much more seen tag, and they are mostly, if not entirely blue cards.
Buy worm futures now!

That doesn't quite seem to address my concern, though, because rhe new microbes aren't much different from the existing ones. They're still lower-impact actions. Why would I want to use my corporation action to make one-third of progress towards a global perimeter bump with a microbe when I could us it for half a parameter bump, a whole parameter bunp, a whole victory point, one or more cards, or any of a host of non-microbe effects that have much bigger impact.

Microbe actions are some of the least impactful actions in the game, so Viron won't be using it for those unless they were unfortunate and got not better options. If I drew Viron as one of my possible corporations, I'd be more likely to select it if I had just one of Aquifer Pumping or Search for Life or Reatricted Area in my opening hand than I would if I started with three standard microbe cards.

The crux of the matter is that I'd almost categorically rather use Viron for non-microbe card actions than for microbe card actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Helms
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
[q="Twilight_Sonata"]With all of the Venus Next cards now spoiled/q]

Link? I might be going blind, but I can't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Terrificy wrote:
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
With all of the Venus Next cards now spoiled

Link? I might be going blind, but I can't find it.

https://youtu.be/rMU3SQyzXsw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Helms
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks! Thought I was supposed to look for a text post here or a picture or something :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
The crux of the matter is that I'd almost categorically rather use Viron for non-microbe card actions than for microbe card actions.

Sulphur-eating Bacteria + Extreme-Cold Fungus + Viron = load SEB with 15 M€ worth of microbes per generation

That suit your taste? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Snapshot wrote:
Twilight_Sonata wrote:

Sulphur-eating Bacteria + Extreme-Cold Fungus + Viron = load SEB with 15 M€ worth of microbes per generation
That suit your taste? cool

Not really. =/
Don't get me wrong, Extreme Cold Fungus is great, but it's also probably the only microbe card worth using Viron's action on, and even that requires an additional microbe card to combo with. It's why I said "almost" above, in fact. But one single card isn't enough to counter the overall pattern that I'm trying to discuss here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
But one single card isn't enough to counter the overall pattern that I'm trying to discuss here.

In that case, the only thing I can offer is a different view of Viron. They aren't necessarily "the microbe corp" just because they have a microbe tag. They are more like "the flexible high-tech corp", kinda like Inventrix, but in a different way.

Similarly, Helion isn't a "space corp" just because they have a space tag. Their much more defining trait - heat - comes from their other characteristics, apart from the tag.
Helion's space tag thematically just reflects their background as the inventors of Soletta, and in the same vein, Viron's microbe tag reflects their bio-tech background as the inventors of Viral Enhancers.

I don't disagree that often times, there will likely be more attractive targets for Viron's ability than a microbe card, as discussed here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Snapshot wrote:
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
But one single card isn't enough to counter the overall pattern that I'm trying to discuss here.

In that case, the only thing I can offer is a different view of Viron. They aren't necessarily "the microbe corp" just because they have a microbe tag. They are more like "the flexible high-tech corp", kinda like Inventrix, but in a different way.

Similarly, Helion isn't a "space corp" just because they have a space tag. Their much more defining trait - heat - comes from their other characteristics, apart from the tag.
Helion's space tag thematically just reflects their background as the inventors of Soletta, and in the same vein, Viron's microbe tag reflects their bio-tech background as the inventors of Viral Enhancers.

I don't disagree that often times, there will likely be more attractive targets for Viron's ability than a microbe card, as discussed here.

This +1.
Viral Enhancers can be used to augment any biological system, and they can, in turn, be used to augment almost any process. Bio-computers, environment-resistant organisms, bio-produced materials etc.
Some combinations are, of course, less easy to explainthan others...

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.