Subject: Curved Cardboards after 2 hours of playtime rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

yesterday I have played a full-length-solo game.
It was really a great experience, but my cardboards (player mat, hexes, board with score tiles) are now curved.

I mean, why?
It's not wet here or something else.
I have played a normal game and now my cardboards are totally curved.

Please have a look at the screenshot.

Anyone else with similar experience?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zhonghao CHEN
China
flag msg tools
the same here. not great quality at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Oh man...i have contacted Feuerland.
Any solution or workaround?
At this state the resource tokens slides from my player mat cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Puerto Rico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I noticed the same. Not quite as bad as on the picture but remarkable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess would be that in a rush to get the first copies to Essen in time, the games were not "climate prepared". Hopefully, they will take the time to do that with the retail copies. If not, shame on Feuerland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, we played with a brand-new copy a friend brought from Essen yesterday and already while setting the game up we noticed that everything is bent/curved. Especially the playermats are annoying, we often had the problem that we would start to spin the playerboard when we manipulated the resource tokens, since they have minimal contact to the table, so when you slide the resource tokens on the top edge, the reduced friction can't handle the resulting torque.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's caused by differences in humidity and perhaps humidity still left after production. I've seen it in multiple games.

Here are two things have worked for me:

1) lay them down on a table with a stack of heavy books on them and leave them for some days.

2) Bend the board carefully in the opposite direction, hold it for a while and repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
AFAIK it's caused by differences in humidity and humidity still left after production. I've seen it in multiple games.

1) lay them down on a table with a stack of heavy books on them and leave them for some days.

2) Bend the board carefully in the opposite direction, hold it for a while and repeat.

Here's a look at my copy of Loyang:

Note that I'm not saying whether this kind of thing is OK or not. I'm not getting in to that, since I was a part of making Gaia and thus am biased .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
mortenmdk wrote:

What should I play then? shake
Maybe Charterstone

Thanks for your answers. I will try to place heavy things on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helge Ostertag
Germany
Hofheim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
It's caused by differences in humidity and perhaps humidity still left after production. I've seen it in multiple games.

I noticed it while explaining the game at SPIEL'17 and was not happy about it. soblue The publisher said the same as Morten: differences in humidity (as Gaia Project was shipped from China, maybe those weeks on the ocean caused the different humidity?), they will vanish after some time, but you should try what Morten recommended, to re-bend the boards.

Also, after I noticed it, I went along the SPIEL game fair and took a closer look at games from other publishers: seems a wide spread problem, because I noticed bending cardboard nearly at every second booth, so many games suffer from this difference in humidity.

Still, I would prefer a nice flat cardboard without such a phenomenon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Btw: Awesome game Helge!! And awesome Automa Morten (i have lost my 1st game yuk )

Newest setup: player mats, Gaia with Charterstone on top - right in front of a heater to dry them out.
Fingers crossed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nuutsch wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

What should I play then? shake
Maybe Charterstone

Of course .

nuutsch wrote:
Thanks for your answers. I will try to place heavy things on it.

I hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horologiom wrote:
I would prefer a nice flat cardboard without such a phenomenon.

Amen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horologiom wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

I noticed it while explaining the game at SPIEL'17 and was not happy about it. soblue The publisher said the same as Morten: differences in humidity (as Gaia Project was shipped from China, maybe those weeks on the ocean caused the different humidity?), they will vanish after some time, but you should try what Morten recommended, to re-bend the boards.

Also, after I noticed it, I went along the SPIEL game fair and took a closer look at games from other publishers: seems a wide spread problem, because I noticed bending cardboard nearly at every second booth, so many games suffer from this difference in humidity.

Still, I would prefer a nice flat cardboard without such a phenomenon.

Maybe it was worse at Essen, because we were so many people packed tight perspiring and breathing out high-humidity air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nuutsch wrote:
Btw: Awesome game Helge!! And awesome Automa Morten (i have lost my 1st game yuk )

Thanks. I hope the Automa is taunting you now .

nuutsch wrote:
Newest setup: player mats, Gaia with Charterstone on top - right in front of a heater to dry them out.
Fingers crossed

For a second, I had a brainfart and thought that the entire Gaia box was warped shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Nitovuori
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the same thing, but really only on the player mats. But on them, the effect is really annoying, they start to spin around and mess the resource markers etc. I hope some pressure and time will take care of this annoyance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just press them flat under several heavy books for a week or two. Once they adjust to your local humidity level they'll be flat again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nuutsch wrote:

nice to see someone finally grasping the concept of a heavy euro ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am deeply concerned about this to the point of seriously considering canceling my order if it’s not too late. Now I’ve always supported the game to the fullest extent of my enthusiasm, but this is simply unacceptable. As for pressing the cardboard flat, from my experience with Space Hulk 3rd ed. this does not work in the long term. The cardboard pieces re-warp after a very short time. Settling doesn’t work either. I bought SH in 2009 and the pieces are still badly warped. The cost of this game for me is a little over 20% of my monthly income and it’s quite a big deal for me if it turns out to be a dud.

Are other publishers also affected? Would anyone care to share their experiences? White Goblin for the Dutch version, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Geest
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Purchased white goblin edition at Essen. Have not played yet but the boards seem fine, though do have that problem with the Azul boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not some huge QC/QA issue, it happens with most games with single pieces of cardboard that are large. Look over the forums for any of CMON's games that use Zombicide-sized tiles and you will see multiple complaints about the same issue.

The book treatment or gently bending them back solves the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The warping issue is annoying. Occasionally a careful back bend and or leaving under game boxes overnight sorts this out, othertimes it never gets sorted.
The worst case I had was with the first print of second edition Betrayal at House on the Hill , the room tiles were so warped it was unplayable.

Hope the back bend and weight sorts Gaia out. Please report back here if it does

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Bend the board carefully in the opposite direction, hold it for a while and repeat.
While this does work on some games, it risks breaking the board. Some boards are more susceptible to this.

My friend who does this all the time warned me not to do it with a particular game as apparently that game is notorious for breaking when backbending. And it's not that he applied too much pressure or anything. He's extremely gentle and has it down to a science. Apparently there are some materials that make for more brittle boards and you don't know which games have them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 2 games yesterday with different factions (a 3 player and a 4 player. Also got the game from essen, and i must say i have similar warping effects as the original author.
Also the Round- endgamescoring tile (the "big planet") is warped...
Not so happy with this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, spacetime is curved you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.