Hide
7 Posts

Warhammer: Diskwars» Forums » Rules

Subject: 3 hours of reading and i'm still a little confused by scrums rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stamos
msg tools
Hi guys, new to the game. I've been spending time on sniper trolls old blog regarding how to resolve complicated scrums but am not satisfied. My question is; if disk A pins B, B pins C, and C is pinned by both B and D, can the first player choose to resolve the CBD engagement first, or must they resolve AB first, then BCD? The rulebook mentions that you only resolve the defending embattled disk first if there is more than one embattled disk in a scrum, but here there is only one. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to resolve from top to bottom. You will have to resolve AB first. B is the only embattled disk and it has to be resolved first. Only after resolving the AB engagement, you will be able to resolve whatever is left. Additionally, if A survives the engagement and falls on top of another disk, A will not apply its attack value again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, see if this helps complement the Troll: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1102334/tips-understand-rul...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
This is not a completely correct answer but it'll get you through more than 90% of the situations you'll run into in game. I'll then explain the exception.

Any disks that is both in an engagement as an attacker and in a separate engagement as a defender (an 'embattled' disk) must resolve the engagement where it is defending before it can resolve the engagement where it is attacking. As Ronaldo pointed out, this means that fights will go from the top down as the disk that jumped on last can attack, then the disks it attacked can attack ect.

The exception (which is very rare) is a circumstance in which you have a deadlock of engagements where you cannot resolve either engagement without resolving the other because a defender in one is an attacker in the other and vice versa or a similar convolution of the same idea. In these cases, the man with initiative gets to decide.

To just elaborate on Ronaldo's last note: You only resolve engagements that existed at the start of the combat phase, new engagements formed (such as engagements caused by disks being removed from combat and the disks on top of them landing on new ones) are not resolved during the current combat phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stamos
msg tools
That's really helpful. Thanks as always for the great replies. So embattled disks within a more complicated scrum always resolve first? If there are multiple embattled disks in different engagements within the same scrum, does the player with initiative simply decide the order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I suspect there's some fundamental misunderstanding here. You don't resolve battles by disk but rather by engagement. I think it might be easier to take this from the start.

This is somewhat difficult to explain without images but let me take a stab at it. I'm going to go over some things you probably already know but to establish a base I'm starting it from the beginning.

An engagement is like a 'layer' of a battle. It's the network of all attackers and defenders that would hit each other at the same time (ignoring swift and slow slow).
--Say you have one disk (A) that is pinning two enemies (Z, Y), that would be one engagement. Now say you had disk 'B' which is on the same side as 'A' that is also pinning 'Z'. The engagement is now those four disks with 'A' and 'B' as attackers and 'Z' and 'Y' as defenders. If 'A' was also pinning another enemy (X) then it'd all still be the same engagement except that 'X' would also be a defender.
--As a result of this, each disk can be in at most two engagements, one where it is the attacker and one where it is the defender as all disks attacking or defending against it become a part of the same engagement 'layer'.
--An embattled disk, is a disk that is in two engagements.

You resolve -engagements- one at a time but you aren't allowed to resolve engagements where any embattled disks is attacking before you've resolved the engagement where that same embattled disk is defending except in the very rare case I mentioned where there's a loop. Thus you always start by resolving an engagement where the attacker is not embattled (whether the defender is embattled or not makes no difference). After you've resolved all the engagements where no attacker is embattled, you can start resolving engagements where the disks beneath those former attackers are now attackers in another engagement.
--In general, this will result in almost every scrum simply resolving from the top down layer by layer.
--Whenever there are multiple engagements that could be resolved in any order, the player with initiative determines the order (in 95%+ of cases, the order won't matter but this is the format for the rare cases where it does.
--When there is a loop (I.E. A set of engagements where a disk which is defending in one is attacking in the other and vice versa), the other engagements 'above' the loop should be resolved first, then the player with initiative chooses one part of the loop to resolve, the other parts will follow in a natural order, then any engagements beneath the loop resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stamos
msg tools
Wow that clears it up. Thanks Velensk. This rulebook isn't the best I've seen but your explanations are very intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.