Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What would the community suggest is the optimum amount of players to be able to enjoy this game?
I know it accommodates 2 to 4 players with 2 core sets. But where is the sweet spot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It kind of varies from scenario to scenario, but I would really not suggest playing this with more than two players with one core set. I think in general two players is great, but it also a fun game to play solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most would say 2p (not too long but all of the keywords and most combos can work). An alternative would be playing solo but with 2 "hands" (i.e. running 2 decks).

I play almost exclusively solo and 1 hand. I miss the opportunity for things like sentinel, ranged, etc. and being able to bring more to the table against the quests, but I don't like dealing with the fiddliness of running 2 decks.

3-4 player games suffer from length, setup, planning with other players to avoid conflicts of unique cards, and sometimes really brutal turns from the encounter deck ("location lock" in particular). That being said if you play with a stable group all of the problems go away except length (which you may not consider a problem) and brutal turns (truly brutal would probably be about 10-15% of turns, but would vary from quest to quest).

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's most balanced at 2 players, because some quests can be especially hard or easy at 1 or 4 players. But as far as enjoyment goes, that depends on what you are looking for. I love playing 4 player because of the camaraderie and because it allows each player to make niche, specialized decks. You can make a deck with zero willpower or zero attack, and that deck can contribute to the team immensely. Games can be a bit longer, (usually 1-2 hours) but with a regular group it's not bad.

On the other hand, it's a great solo game and you can play really quickly in solo. The deckbuilding in solo is very unique because you need to make a deck that can quest, defend, and attack (barring a few decktypes that can avoid attacking or defending).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going Saga Campaigns I have found 3 seems to work best, we have enough diversity to handle the extra Encounter cards and still get through he story. This number of players seems to fit nicely to running the "story" characters (i.e. hero count from story divides up nicely among 3 players

For Standard Cycle questing I think 2 works best from a time standpoint, can get in a couple to 3 of those in an evening, with 3 or 4 its more of a "party" atmosphere and lucky to get 2 quests in in a night.

Those have been my experiences (I am leaving out the whole "epic" versions as they are unique and don't really "fit" in the day to day play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
One Ring to Rule Them All
badge
I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:
I think most would say 2p (not too long but all of the keywords and most combos can work). An alternative would be playing solo but with 2 "hands" (i.e. running 2 decks).

I play almost exclusively solo and 1 hand. I miss the opportunity for things like sentinel, ranged, etc. and being able to bring more to the table against the quests, but I don't like dealing with the fiddliness of running 2 decks.

3-4 player games suffer from length, setup, planning with other players to avoid conflicts of unique cards, and sometimes really brutal turns from the encounter deck ("location lock" in particular). That being said if you play with a stable group all of the problems go away except length (which you may not consider a problem) and brutal turns (truly brutal would probably be about 10-15% of turns, but would vary from quest to quest).

Good luck!

Two handed solo is slightly fiddly, but that's still how I play since I don't want to miss out on some of those keywords like ranged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.