Subject: ACTIVE PLAYERS - Question about Starter Sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Obviously Derek
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. I have a question for people who actively play this game. My 15 year old son is interested in it and I am interested as well. We play games like Descent, Ravenloft Series, Star Wars Imperial Assault, etc. So these games utilize much smaller groups of miniatures.

I have watched some youtube videos and read a few posts here about what to get to start off with. My original plan was to get the starter set, and then a couple of boxes of add on units to compliment them.

However, the start set is on sale this week where I would be buying it for $25 off retail, so it got me thinking it might be better to buy two starter sets right off the bat.

So my main question is if that is a smart move, and from existing players, are there enough components in ONE starter set tokens, dice, movement sticks, etc., where you are not having to hand things back and forth to each other each time you want to do something, or should I just get the second one now and ensure I have plenty of components (along with the extra minis).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s the quickest way to get to two full sized lists.

But it does limit your build potential (extras of uniques is not helpful).

Personally I would get more expansions and 1 core set. More units, different units, different upgrades and terrain.

If you hate passing components that much- the essentials kit would be worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mad tulip
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
get 2 starter sets at discount now.

open only one and play the introduction game. As 2nd game play the "skirmish" rule variant which is basically the introduction game plus upgrades - the first game you select which forces to use.

after that 2nd game you will notice, that you want the 2nd core set because you want options to build your army. one core set gives you 1,2 or maybe 3 very similar options to build each sides army. a game of this type lives on the crafting/painting part, the metagame of planning your army, and then (not even most importantly for some people) the game on the table itself.

Just the minis of the core set is 3.5 expansion boxes per side. thats 7 expansion boxes - compare prices. none of them are redundant (well the boss model is, but its not included in the 3.5 expansion boxes comparison) if you get 2 core sets. all the rest like addional dice and two rulebooks is for free on top of that. the core set is the hook they use to drag you into spending cash on the expansions boxes and itself as cheap as they can afford it.

get 2 if you plan to play more than 3 or 4 games with it.

and then dont get much more until you have them assembled and painted. the hobby/game thrieves on bonding with "your army" by making it your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mad tulip
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
if one of you wants to play one of the faction not included in the core set like the elves (out now, more movement and dodgy /archery oriented gameplay) i would suggest starting those with two of their respective start set as well (not right at the moment you buy the core set) .The units in there are also cheaper then the individual boxes - they are basically the same thing for that faction that you have in the core box for humans and undead.

The 4th. red uthunk faction will release ~december (deamon spike covered desert humans which focus on many hitpoints but no armor, self damaging effects (i damage me, but damage you twice) and damage in general. humans are maybe the balanced faction. undead are slow and rely on chaining and stacking theire effects (good planning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mad tulip
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
But it does limit your build potential (extras of uniques is not helpful).

Well, each expansion comes with some extra upgrade cards you dont get in the core set. I.e. the undead archer expansions has the same 8 archer models as in the core, but additionally it has some expansion cards.

As the expansions cards dont have to be shuffled and are more like reference cards you can just as well read (never print in color, cut and use just like the others privately at home ofc.!!!) about them here.: http://runewars.wikia.com/wiki/Combat_Ingenuity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madtulip wrote:
if one of you wants to play one of the faction not included in the core set like the elves (out now, more movement and dodgy /archery oriented gameplay) i would suggest starting those with two of their respective start set as well (not right at the moment you buy the core set) .The units in there are also cheaper then the individual boxes - they are basically the same thing for that faction that you have in the core box for humans and undead.

The 4th. red uthunk faction will release ~december (deamon spike covered desert humans which focus on many hitpoints but no armor, self damaging effects (i damage me, but damage you twice) and damage in general. humans are maybe the balanced faction. undead are slow and rely on chaining and stacking theire effects (good planning).

Very much this. The humans work with organization, the elves are maneuverable, the undead focus on various special effects, and the Uthuk focus on raw damage.

If humans and undead sound the best to you, get two box sets, and maybe the infantry command packs. If one of those and either the elves or Uthuk sound best, get one base set now, make sure you like the game concept, and then get the army set of the other faction, and determine if you want to go on with additional base sets and army packs, or the boxed expansions,once you have a feel for the game. If elves and Uthuk are what you want, get one army pack for each plus the essentials pack, and see what else you want once you know how the game works. (The essentials pack has all the dice, cards, templates, etc. that come in the base game, that you won’t have if you buy the elves and Uthuk only.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't deny that you'll be getting a good deal with two core sets. It really does seem worth the money. My brother chose to get one core and some expansions, but even after that, he bought a second core to fill out his army more. He felt the extra core was worth it on sale, even when considering only the Undead units (4 trays of Reanimates and 2 trays of Reanimate Archers retails at $75).

Xelto wrote:
Very much this. The humans work with organization, the elves are maneuverable, the undead focus on various special effects, and the Uthuk focus on raw damage.

I'm not so sure about that last part. I've been comparing the damage output of the base infantry and it doesn't seem like the Berserkers put out that much more damage than Reanimates or Spearmen. More than raw damage, the Uthuk seem focused on frightening the opposing army via panic effects, and gaining speed for forward assaults (which makes them more aggressive, but not more damaging). As you mentioned, the Uthuk are also well-known for hurting themselves to gain some effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obviously Derek
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I think that if they were not on sale, I would buy 1 core set and a couple expansions, but since they are on sale right now, I am going to get two core sets and that will give us both full armies right off the bat as well as double components, etc., then I can buy expansions in the future.

I am thinking I might regret not getting the second expansion right now though and want it later when I will pay full price.

Thanks for all the thoughts!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mad tulip
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
good choice happy wargaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
Y
Xelto wrote:

I'm not so sure about that last part. I've been comparing the damage output of the base infantry and it doesn't seem like the Berserkers put out that much more damage than Reanimates or Spearmen. More than raw damage, the Uthuk seem focused on frightening the opposing army via panic effects, and gaining speed for forward assaults (which makes them more aggressive, but not more damaging).

Aggressive is definitely a good adjective for them. What I was trying to say, but said poorly, is that they're definitely into self-sacrificing for various abilities, many of which do damage. Berserkers frequently lose figures to boost damage, Kethra turns small units into grenades, Ravos will snack on his own side if that's all that's available. Gotta have his numnums, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ObviouslyDerek wrote:
Ok, I think that if they were not on sale, I would buy 1 core set and a couple expansions, but since they are on sale right now, I am going to get two core sets and that will give us both full armies right off the bat as well as double components, etc., then I can buy expansions in the future.

I am thinking I might regret not getting the second expansion right now though and want it later when I will pay full price.

Thanks for all the thoughts!!

One more word of advice! A Daqan player can cobble together a 200-point list from 2 core sets, but a Waiqar player cannot. I highly recommend you play no more than 150 points per army with your current collection. You can still play that on the full 6'x3' playing area and it will work fine. Keeping the points lower means players have to make meaningful decisions about what to include in their armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obviously Derek
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Garrett!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up, but if you look around and wait a bit you can probably find the core game for much cheaper than the current sale price you are seeing. At one point it was hovering around $60. I believe it was Funagain Games who had it at that price, and they had stock for roughly a month. Buying 2 core games at that price would save you $30, which is enough for another expansion with change left over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obviously Derek
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eric, I usually use miniaturemarket, but I'll check out some other places. I have never bought from Funagain, so I'll keep an eye out there for future sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.