Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Just making sure I understand the rules.

If making an amphibious assault,
1) Can one unload if an enemy sub is present AND a friendly warship is NOT? The reason I ask is because it explicitly says a transport cannot ignore a sub in the 1941 rules when a friendly warship is not present.

2) If 1) is true for anniversary, does that mean the transport has to retreat?

3) If a transport has a friendly unit on, can it take part in the amphibious assault? I am assuming it cannot.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 & 2) The transport can ignore the sub whether or not a friendly warship (a warship belonging to the same power, actually) is present. This rule is different here than it is in 1941.

3) It cannot. It must attack on its own turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
1 & 2) The transport can ignore the sub whether or not a friendly warship (a warship belonging to the same power, actually) is present. This rule is different here than it is in 1941.

3) It cannot. It must attack on its own turn.

Any idea why this would be different in 1941 vs anniversary edition?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's simply because the Anniversary edition was the "first generation" of the current family of games, and that rule didn't yet exist at the time it was originally published. There are a few rules that are slightly different for this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
It's simply because the Anniversary edition was the "first generation" of the current family of games, and that rule didn't yet exist at the time it was originally published. There are a few rules that are slightly different for this reason.

1) So, does it make sense to house rule this when I play the anniversary edition?

2) If all friendly warships are destroyed and there are still enemy warships present (and does this include subs?), the attacking transports are destroyed, correct? Or can they retreat?

3) Is a warship defined as any ship that is not a transport (ie carrier and sub)? This is in regards to a transport not being able to unload is a defending sub is present. If I do an amphibious assault with 1 transport and 1 sub, can I ignore the defending sub?

4) Here is an example. I am attacking with 1 destroyer and 2 transports (A and B) and there are 2 destroyers present. On my sea attack, I take out 1 destroyer and then the defending destroyer takes out my destroyer. The other destroyer can now just take out transport A. At this point, I am assuming I can retreat transport B before the defending destroyer can take him out in the next round, correct?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Sure, why not?

2) They can retreat, unless retreat isn't possible, in which case they are destroyed. The thing to remember about the defenseless transport rule is that it's simply there to keep you from rolling a bunch of dice to resolve a foregone conclusion. As long as the transports are defended or can escape, they're not defenseless.

3) Yes, a warship is any sea unit other than a transport.

4) If the defender hits with only one destroyer, you lose your destroyer and can retreat both transports. If the defender hits with both destroyers, you lose your destroyer and one transport and can retreat the other transport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.