Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the box and foam tray big enough to hold 2 sets?
Also is the game worth picking up 2x to have some options or is the core game more than enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can fit two sets in one box by removing the top and bottom foam. As far as options, well yes, since your armies are customized by organizing the brigades into any configuration (Cav, Inf, art, combo, etc.....), having bigger armies and more fields on which to fight with them allow a lot more flexibility in how you plan your battles. You can have a reserve with the depth of the battle field.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Yes, you can fit two sets in one box by removing the top and bottom foam. As far as options, well yes, since your armies are customized by organizing the brigades into any configuration (Cav, Inf, art, combo, etc.....), having bigger armies and more fields on which to fight with them allow a lot more flexibility in how you plan your battles. You can have a reserve with the depth of the battle field.

-Ski

When you say top and bottom foam, you mean the covers of the foam tray?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to pick up some more unit sprues and use them in parts as Skirmishers (see the FAQ and optional rules) and as a third faction (probably Prussians).
But I am a bit hesitant about adding more boards - because units retreat to the edge of the board and with a bigger board getting back into the action might take much longer and might prolong the game too much?

The insert is nice and sturdy, but I plan to toss it completely and replace it with some custom foam trays (unfortunately the large KR trays are a bit too big for the box, but cutting them into shape should be no problem).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanjajoral wrote:
I plan to pick up some more unit sprues and use them in parts as Skirmishers (see the FAQ and optional rules) and as a third faction (probably Prussians).
But I am a bit hesitant about adding more boards - because units retreat to the edge of the board and with a bigger board getting back into the action might take much longer and might prolong the game too much?

The insert is nice and sturdy, but I plan to toss it completely and replace it with some custom foam trays (unfortunately the large KR trays are a bit too big for the box, but cutting them into shape should be no problem).

The unit sprues are for sale seperately? On the Perry website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darthvegeta800 wrote:

The unit sprues are for sale seperately? On the Perry website?

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/advanced_search_result.php?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanjajoral wrote:

I got my three sets, but I won't buy any more boards until new ones are made. Too much repetition. I think three sets is ideal IMHO. From what I get, there is more to come in the system!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darthvegeta800 wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

Yes. The base square and the cover foam. For my three sets, I am going to combine two boxes by taping one on top of the other after cutting off the cover of the second box. That will allow enough room to stack the six boards. I will put foam between them so they don't get scratched up.....

gah.....SO close to finishing painting the last of the French. Gotta get off my butt to paint last two sprues. My third army of six sprues will be Austrian.....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Darthvegeta800 wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

Yes. The base square and the cover foam. For my three sets, I am going to combine two boxes by taping one on top of the other after cutting off the cover of the second box. That will allow enough room to stack the six boards. I will put foam between them so they don't get scratched up.....

gah.....SO close to finishing painting the last of the French. Gotta get off my butt to paint last two sprues. My third army of six sprues will be Austrian.....

-Ski

If I may inquire in the basic foam... how many extra boards and extra sprues fit?
I'd rather buy some extra boards and minis to keep in one boxset.
As the coreset seems a bit too basic but doubling or tripling the coreset on the other hand seems a bit excessive for my preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darthvegeta800 wrote:

If I may inquire in the basic foam... how many extra boards and extra sprues fit?
As the coreset seems a bit too basic but doubling or tripling the coreset on the other hand seems a bit excessive for my preferences.

I was able to get two sets in the box with the foam removed from around the boards. I personally don't like the tight fit that has the potential of warping the boards themselves. The boards are pretty tough, but I had one warped and am paranoid about how tight the fit is. So, two sets can fit.

I went with three sets because the 2x3 layout is equivalent to a 4'x6' gaming table which gives you some decent maneuvering room.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Darthvegeta800 wrote:

I was able to get two sets in the box with the foam removed from around the boards. I personally don't like the tight fit that has the potential of warping the boards themselves. The boards are pretty tough, but I had one warped and am paranoid about how tight the fit is. So, two sets can fit.

I went with three sets because the 2x3 layout is equivalent to a 4'x6' gaming table which gives you some decent maneuvering room.

-Ski

Interesting. Have you fielded the entirety of there sets? How does that play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darthvegeta800 wrote:

Not yet. Finishing off painting the French before playing. I expect it to be a lot of fun. And as mentioned before, I plan to use more that one set of rules with the components. The new skirmisher unit and horse cavalry rules help flesh out the system.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Darthvegeta800 wrote:

Not yet. Finishing off painting the French before playing. I expect it to be a lot of fun. And as mentioned before, I plan to use more that one set of rules with the components. The new skirmisher unit and horse cavalry rules help flesh out the system.

-Ski

Thanks for the feedback.
Hope you'll show off your painted armies when finished. Always love seeing the results of such endeavours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darthvegeta800 wrote:
Teamski wrote:
Darthvegeta800 wrote:

-Ski

Thanks for the feedback.
Hope you'll show off your painted armies when finished. Always love seeing the results of such endeavours!

There are a couple photos already posted in the image section.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Talking of painting the minis....(and sorry for derailing this thread):
Did you prime the sprues before painting? The manual says that no priming is required... As that goes against conventional wisdom I am sceptical...
As I had the paints out recently for some Firestorm Armada ships I applied some painto the forests and the houses.
Drybrushing the treetops went pretty well and they also took the wash afterwards without complaints. but then I put some white paint on the walls of the houses and that won't stick nicely at all. It might be that it is just the white (white can be a fickle color after all), but I guess that priming them could be the better way to go.

What were your experinces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I ALWAYS prime before painting. Every time I didn't, I regretted it. I also always apply dulcote after painting to protect the work.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Darthvegeta800 wrote:

-Ski

In the meantime have you tried the game with several sets? Does it add much value to play or am I just as fine off orderign a single set? Or a single set and an extra sprue to add in some skirmishers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darthvegeta800 wrote:
Teamski wrote:
Darthvegeta800 wrote:

-Ski

In the meantime have you tried the game with several sets? Does it add much value to play or am I just as fine off orderign a single set? Or a single set and an extra sprue to add in some skirmishers?

To be honest, I have not, but that said, I am thrilled I got additional sets to add the depth to the game. I played a single set game and it was pretty brief: if your opponent rolls well with artillery, then your soldiers can have a pretty brief existence. A bigger game should help mitigate such luck.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Darthvegeta800 wrote:
Teamski wrote:
Darthvegeta800 wrote:

-Ski

To be honest, I have not, but that said, I am thrilled I got additional sets to add the depth to the game. I played a single set game and it was pretty brief: if your opponent rolls well with artillery, then your soldiers can have a pretty brief existence. A bigger game should help mitigate such luck.

-Ski

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.