Noria» Forums » Rules

Subject: German rulebook needs editing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alter Falter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So many comma faults on nearly every page... its very annoing to read and sometimes unclear. I expect from a high quality product like this a lot more polishing.

That being said first round was fun and i'm looking forward to the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Rybiczka
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am happy that you enjoy the game!

Comma faults will be tackled in the next edition.

Game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
Uratha wrote:
While you're at it, please change the use of numbers instead of words where it's not common.

For example:
p.3 wrote:
Nimm dir 1 Wissen und 1 beliebigen Rohstoff.
p.5 wrote:
Dein Rad besteht aus 1 Spielübersicht [...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Wegner
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uratha wrote:

Game on!

Do you think that customers who bought the first edition will be happy with your statement? Or will the publisher exchange the first edition copies/rulebooks with second edition copies/rulebooks for free?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
weserkiesel wrote:
Uratha wrote:

Game on!

Do you think that customers who bought the first edition will be happy with your statement? Or will the publisher exchange the first edition copies/rulebooks with second edition copies/rulebooks for free?

Like seriously? Because of some comma faults in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weserkiesel wrote:

I'm one of those customers and I fully expect a product that I buy on day 1 to not be perfect. I also know I can count on the BGG community, in which designers and developers are also heavily invested, to help fix or mitigate such early problems.

The publisher is absolutely willing to fix mistakes. One example are the replacement discs mentioned in another thread. I have those on the way to my house right now.

I'm sure a second edition of the rulebook will be posted here on BGG and probably the Noria website. Additionaly the rules video will be posted so everyone can familiarize themselves with the rules one way or another.

So to answer your question: YES, I'm happy with the aswer. Becasue 1. there is an answer, and 2. the answer is it will be fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffi
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The comma bear seems to have vomited all over this rulebook. The one for Indian Summer is not quite as messy, but also not well edited.
"Puzzle-Triologie" is especially cringe-worthy. *shudder*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dag Roth
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impy wrote:
weserkiesel wrote:
Uratha wrote:

Game on!

Like seriously? Because of some comma faults in the rules?

I may be a bit biased on this because of my job, but when producing a rulebook (or any text for that matter) it should be the most natural thing in the world to proofread it properly. I mean, we're not talking here about 350 pages. The rulebook's got 16 pages, that's roundabout 100 € for a professional proofreader, maybe less because of all the pictures, so no real sorcery during production.

If I pay 40 or 50 € for a product, I think I can expect that it's properly produced and that includes a proofread rulebook. Otherwise it just seems - at least in my eyes - than the designer/producer/whoever doesn't really care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AbydosBane wrote:
Impy wrote:
weserkiesel wrote:
Uratha wrote:

Game on!

Like seriously? Because of some comma faults in the rules? :what:

I may be a bit biased on this because of my job, but when producing a rulebook (or any text for that matter) it should be the most natural thing in the world to proofread it properly. I mean, we're not talking here about 350 pages. The rulebook's got 16 pages, that's roundabout 100 € for a professional proofreader, maybe less because of all the pictures, so no real sorcery during production.

If I pay 40 or 50 € for a product, I think I can expect that it's properly produced and that includes a proofread rulebook. Otherwise it just seems - at least in my eyes - than the designer/producer/whoever doesn't really care.

Thank you for your feedback!

Let me assure you that we do care - a lot!

We are a small publisher and we did final proofreading in house this time. We are definitely going to get MORE external help in the future.

The process of creating a game and especially the rule book for an expert game like Noria is quite complex and never straightforward. At a certain point every time you touch something to fix it, there is a big risk that you mess something else up.

As in every business time and money is limited and you have to decide what is most important to you. For us, this is clearly gameplay and experience. But as i said before: we will make sure that this doesn´t happen again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dag Roth
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebenerwerbsbauer wrote:
AbydosBane wrote:

Thank you for your feedback!

Let me assure you that we do care - a lot!

We are a small publisher and we did final proofreading in house this time. We are definitely going to get MORE external help in the future.

The process of creating a game and especially the rule book for an expert game like Noria is quite complex and never straightforward. At a certain point every time you touch something to fix it, there is a big risk that you mess something else up.

As in every business time and money is limited and you have to decide what is most important to you. For us, this is clearly gameplay and experience. But as i said before: we will make sure that this doesn´t happen again.

Thanks for your response. I know from my own experience that proofreading can become a tiresome process and if you need to rework and change small details here and there, messing everything up while doing so is certainly a risk and happens more often than not.

I just wanted to express that even though gameplay is surely more important than the rulebook, it is an important part of the whole product and might influence someone's opinion about the game itself.

Good to hear though that there will be additional correction loops in the future. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.