4 Posts

Dungeon of Mandom VIII» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Clarification: Egg Special Monster rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
aaaa aaaa
msg tools
The English rules state the following:

"You can take one of the cards that were put away by any player (without looking at it). The Egg will become this Monster. If no player put a card away yet, nothing happens."

a) It says 'can' not 'must'.

b) 'Yet' suggests that later that round, someone could 'put a card away'. This is only possible if nobody has entered the dungeon yet.

c) 'Without looking at it' is a bit bizarre, as obviously you'll look at the card immediately after selecting it. Unless you can only use the ability after you've entered the dungeon OR you have to decide what to do with the card, put it in the dungeon or not, blindly.

Can you choose to avoid replacing with another card ?

Do you replace the card before entering the dungeon ? When you encounter the monster ? Can you do either ?

My assumption: it's just a bad translation, you can only use the effect after encountering the monster in the dungeon and it's mandatory if any cards have been removed by players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The word choice implies the egg substitution happens before the entering the dungeon phase.

A)hrmm..

B) 'yet' would then imply the egg may be taken from the monster deck before any other monster was removed from the dungeon.

C) This also implies the egg substitution is being made before anyone enters the dungeon.. Because yes, certainly you would immediately look at the card it hatches into if you were doing this in the dungeon phase and the egg hatches.

But I think you're right. What fun is the egg if we can't see it hatch into another card?

I haven't played with the egg yet, but I would assume the same as you, as it makes the most sense, despite the translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaaa aaaa
msg tools
I have now painstakingly obtained the Japanese for the egg card:

山札以外の、ダンジョンに入れられず取り除かれたモンスターのカードの中から中身を見ずに1枚引く。魔物のタマゴのつよさと種類はそのモンスターと同じになる。 誰もモンスターを取り除いていない場合には何も起こらない。

I managed to scrape together this meaning via google translate and trial and error:

Without looking at it, take a monster card that a player chose not to place in the dungeon. The strength and type of the Demon Egg will be the same as that monster. If no one has removed a monster, nothing happens.

I now think that it all happens in the dungeon building phase. Since having an X strength monster is weird, I think you cannot put it in the dungeon if nobody has removed a card, and if you put it in the dungeon replacing the egg is not optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuto Fujikawa
Japan
flag msg tools
When you see a monster with X strength, it means that the strength of the monster is not defined yet. Their strength will be defined when you encounter them in the dungeon.

> Can you choose to avoid replacing with another card ?

No, you cannot. When you encounter the egg card in the dungeon you must replace it with another card provided there's another card you can replace with.

There is one situation you can get rid of the egg card. That is when nobody has removed a card.

I believe the reason why it says "Without looking at it" is because there could be multiple removed cards. The player who encountered the egg card can then draw a card from the removed cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.