16 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Composure Limit. Playing a new one. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Chapman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'll try to be generic and avoid spoilers etc... And assume for example (And comical effect) any game situations are going soooooo badly, and I/we refers to me and my gaming buddies.

Just a quickie:

I currently have Plucky in play. Which has the text: Limit 1 composure in play. My question, can I play Combat training (With the same Limit 1 composure in play), discarding plucky in the process...?

I ask because, basically, a unique asset (with an * symbol in the name) can't even be played until the existing one is removed from play.
But regular assets (which use hand slots etc), can be played, discarding previous assets to make room.

I'm pretty sure it's straight forward; that I can't until the last composure is removed first. Kind of like Obscuring fog, a second one just fizzles and goes away, because that's a limit 1 instance too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing in the general rule about playing assets that allows you to discard other assets up front; the RRG only covers that for Slots (although the wording doesn't appear to precisely limit you to discarding just assets filling the slots you want to free up, I think that's the intent).

The uniqueness rule then over-rides that, so you can't play a newly healthy Leo De Luca over an existing damaged Leo. However, I agree with your interpretation: since you can't use the slot-freeing method to discard your existing Composure, you're not allowed to play the new Composure until the old one has left play for some reason or other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louie Cypher
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say in the instance you describe the Combat training would come into play removing the Plucky as neither of these cards are Unique so do not follow the Unique rules.

Think of it like this: the composure card creates a composure 'Slot' while in play and any other composure can be played to that 'slot' just like other slots (removing any non-Unique card occupying that slot).

That is how I think the composure cards work. I could be wrong and would love to hear from one of the designers on this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Louiecypher wrote:
I would say in the instance you describe the Combat training would come into play removing the Plucky as neither of these cards are Unique so do not follow the Unique rules.

Think of it like this: the composure card creates a composure 'Slot' while in play and any other composure can be played to that 'slot' just like other slots (removing any non-Unique card occupying that slot).

That is how I think the composure cards work. I could be wrong and would love to hear from one of the designers on this one

I feel like an argument that goes "let's claim that this thing falls under Slot restrictions and rules even though it doesn't take the form of it" is on shaky ground. If FFG wanted it to behave like a Slot, they could have actually created a new Slot icon and put the rules for it on the Path to Carcosa insert.

Contacting FFG directly is the only way to get a definitive answer, but the rules as they stand point towards not being able to over-write Composures at will since they are not using Slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal S.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Louiecypher wrote:

I agree with your reasoning. In my opinion,I think that when the second composure card enters your play area you must immediately choose one from the two composure cards to keep in play.

I can't think of a specific instance where the player would would want to play the second composure card and choose to keep the composure card that was already in play, but I suppose more options are always a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
If you have a composure in play, you cannot play another. The option to play another type of a thing and kick out an old thing to make room is specific to inventory slots and doesn't apply to any other limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with BD. And if BD and I agree, then we're probably both correct!

However, has anyone submitted this question to FFG?

I for one would like to see the designers' ruling on this as it likely will apply to similar traits and limits in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Caldwell
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got an email back from FF.
Quote:

Greetings,

Limit 1 in play means you cannot play another one if there is already one in play. (You would have to find another way to discard Plucky before you could play Combat Training, for example.) This is different from the way slots work, because slots explicitly allow you to discard a card occupying a slot in order to play another card that would occupy that same slot.

Note that all limits are player-specific unless they say “group limit,” so while you could not have both Plucky and Combat Training in play, you could have Plucky and I could have Combat Training, and that would be perfectly legal.

Cheers,
------------------------------------------------
Matthew Newman
Senior LCG Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
mnewman@fantasyflightgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louie Cypher
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks joe, it’s good to have an official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Schepers
Belgium
flag msg tools
Thanks!

But... why is it written on these cards "limit 1 per investigator" and not "1 in play" ?

Is it different from "1 in play" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purely a templating difference.

They are functionally identical.

Templating difference.

They are functionally different.

(And I really shouldn't post before I've had breakfast!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
"Per investigator" is used to limit specific cards.

The "limit 1 trait in play" is used to limit an investigator to one out of a set of traited cards, such as composures or masks.

Slightly different functionality, with different templates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bd flory wrote:
"Per investigator" is used to limit specific cards.

The "limit 1 trait in play" is used to limit an investigator to one out of a set of traited cards, such as composures or masks.

Slightly different functionality, with different templates.

Ah, yeah, that's true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Schepers
Belgium
flag msg tools
Yes, you're right!

But, for the composure, it could have been written "Limit 1 composure by investigator". What would be the difference with "limit 1 composure in play" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland M
Philippines
Makati City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the "Limit 1 per investigator" mean that you can only have 1 of that card in the deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
michaerum wrote:
Doesn't the "Limit 1 per investigator" mean that you can only have 1 of that card in the deck?

No. It would say “per deck” otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.