Subject: How to pick character without opening boxes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oskar van Velden
Netherlands
Dordrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my copy yesterday and I think me and my wife will start our first play session (ever) next weekend. But I'm wondering how someone should pick a character to play with, without opening all the (6) boxes.

Or is that allowed, to open those boxes, look/read through the descriptions and then decide?

I have researched the different classes and I kinda know what to pick. But it feels weird that I need to tell my wife what the classes are and then we can open a box. In the manual there is no overview of the starting classes and I can't imagine that it's required that people go online to do research ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skarnl wrote:
Or is that allowed, to open those boxes, look/read through the descriptions and then decide?

You can open all the starting 6 boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27163093#27163093
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could pick based on art you like? Or mini you like? Or flavor text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Williams

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Or roll a 6 sided dice if you really don't care what one you get . Just put it in a one through six order and pick. Can't say that this is the best pairing of guys though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
If you want the minimum of faff without going in completely blind, I really like the summaries Issac gave:
Quote:
When demoing the game, here's the summary I usually give:

The Brute is your typical tank. He gets up in the monster's face with melee attacks and has defensive abilities.

The Scoundrel is an opportunistic melee attacker. She can deal huge damage in the right circumstances.

The Spellweaver is your multi-target ranged attacker, throwing out big spells to do lots of damage, but she can burn out quickly if you don't play your cards right.

The Tinkerer is healing and support, providing bonuses to his allies and negatives to his enemies. He's also got a good amount of ranged damage.

The Cragheart is more of a jack-of-all-trades. It's got melee attacks, ranged attacks, and healing, but you also have to be careful about hurting your allies.

And the Mindthief is just weird. She has a lot of crazy abilities - summoning, mind control, and psychic augments that enhance her melee attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar van Velden
Netherlands
Dordrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all.

I did read a lot of the threads, but was not sure if there was a default route to take for chosing your starting class. I wasn't sure if you were allowed to open the boxes of the starting classes or not.

But ok. I will open them so my wife can see some of the images and read the flavour text. And I'll use the role-description Isaac gave to explain how each class works in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
If you want the minimum of faff without going in completely blind, I really like the summaries Issac gave:
Quote:
When demoing the game, here's the summary I usually give:

The Brute is your typical tank. He gets up in the monster's face with melee attacks and has defensive abilities.

The Scoundrel is an opportunistic melee attacker. She can deal huge damage in the right circumstances.

The Spellweaver is your multi-target ranged attacker, throwing out big spells to do lots of damage, but she can burn out quickly if you don't play your cards right.

The Tinkerer is healing and support, providing bonuses to his allies and negatives to his enemies. He's also got a good amount of ranged damage.

The Cragheart is more of a jack-of-all-trades. It's got melee attacks, ranged attacks, and healing, but you also have to be careful about hurting your allies.

And the Mindthief is just weird. She has a lot of crazy abilities - summoning, mind control, and psychic augments that enhance her melee attacks.

Okay, I’m going to have a real problem. Four of those sound REALLY exciting to me, and the other two sound like the kinds of prime picks I’d gladly use for any other adventure game because they’re reliably effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:

For those who want a little bit more, each of the six also has a unique focus or mechanic that informs their playstyles. I'll put the details under spoilers for those who prefer to go in blind, but all of this info is available from the start of the game.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Brute: Most vanilla, but links Move and Attack more tightly than others. Cards that Move and Attack in the same action, cards that Attack based on how much you moved or vice versa, and even a high-level card that lets you use Move abilities as Attack abilities.

Scoundrel: Positioning. Has a number of cards that get bonuses for attacking enemies that are next to your allies and/or are not next to any of theirs.

Spellweaver: Lost effects and lost card recovery. Spellweaver burns through powerful lost effects more than the other characters, but also has a once-a-game effect to recover all lost cards. A higher level card can supplement this with a lesser recovery effect.

Tinkerer: Has a card for every occasion and the biggest hand size to support bringing it all with them. Biggest hand size also means more willing to use lost effects more and/or earlier, but not to Spellweaver levels.

Cragheart: Actually has two unique mechanics. First is reshaping the battlefield by creating, destroying, and moving obstacles around. Second is flat non-attack damage... to both friend and foe.

Mindthief: Uses a modular "augment" system that lets them swap in different persistent modifications (e.g. +2 Attack or add Muddle and Poison) to all their melee attacks. To a lesser extent, they have a few cards that let you control enemies.

Also, while it totally is possible to just pick starting characters without looking at them, I highly recommend against it. One of my campaigns started with two players and we went in just based on names and our expectations and we ended up with a bad mix for two players. We made it work long enough to retire, but we wish we had done it differently. In my other campaign, everybody but me chose their characters based off little more info than Isaac's descriptions and one guy quickly tired of his character... and unfortunately got stuck with them for a long time because of their initial personal quest.

I suggest taking the time to make at least a somewhat-informed choice for your initial characters because you might be stuck with them for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Cruz
msg tools
mbmb
There are some combos that are generally agreed to bad in terms of synergy. Spellweaver/Scoundrel comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just opened all the game figures and choose the prettiest one. I chose Scoundrel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
Open the 6 boxes, have a look at the cards (at least the level 1 and X cards anyway) to get a feel for what the character is about, and pick what you think sounds interesting.

There will be plenty of stuff and mystery to reveal in the game later anyway. And you may as well make your first character one that tends to fit into the archetype you like to play as.

Also, if you spend a lot of time on forums, then you'll find that information about the 6 starting classes aren't considered spoilers. So unless you stay away from the forums you'll end up getting spoiled anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.