John Company» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Increasing revenue and conquest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Goat Goatington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played one game so far and we largely ran the company into the ground with a mountain of debt. We realised too late in the game that sailing with the presidencies was a key part of revenue and instead sent off a bunch of captains and formed some armies, making sure the company never turned a significant profit after expenses.

How many presidencies can be efficiently maintained with open regions and goods to fill orders?

At one point half the players tried to engineer a closure of one of the presidencies by conquering the only region within that presidency so we could concentrate goods into fewer presidencies. The players with captains in the region were against it for obvious reasons, the rest wanted the region's trade to be available elsewhere and to remove the small fleet of captains they didn't own. Is this a sensible thing to do?

What kind of ratio of sovereign and dominated regions should the company be aiming for? Conquering regions doesn't seem to benefit the company greatly except that it's cheaper in the short term than opening trade. That cost saving seems to be quickly eaten up by military maintenance of the army needed to defend it, as well as the arms race that it seems to encourage. The provincial offices created by conquest almost never paid their taxes up to the presidency and instead chose to pocket the money. The interest in conquest largely came from players with lots of officers wanting plunder and presidents wanting to make their region more important so they got chosen for goods, etc. and could fill orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We (5P) engineered the opposite tonight where the Early Company ran so efficiently (concentrating on Sailing right from the start) that it bloated. By the time we realized that a Bailout was desired, it was too late. When the game thus ended after 6 turns it pretty much came down to the final Attrition rolls, which wasn't a very satisfying way to wrap up the session.

We had the Governor General appear mid-game, which focused a lot of power into the hands of one President. He made a ton of money from completed orders.

Officers plundered after a successful campaign, Provincial officeholders lined their own pockets with taxes, and Captains generated steady income too.

Factories made some good money for their owners, Shipyards did OK for their owners.

The typical euro cooperation mindset to always do your very best doesn't work with this game. There is a strong timing element (Company health and how well you have climbed the corporate ladder combined with your family money) that can be difficult to orchestrate if players compete and don't cooperate (to be fair, at times we didn't know what we were doing!).

Lesson learned...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hoping to introduce this game to my 4 player group this Friday. My expectation is that we will end up keeping the company too healthy in comparison to maximizing individual gains. There is a lot going on here and the ramifications of various choices do not always leap out. These are all great things but I think most groups will take multiple plays to really get int the groove fo the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is quite the opposite.
It is so easy to crash the Company that it will crash early and badly with inexperienced players, unless everyone explicitly, firmly and deliberately cooperate to make it as healthy as possible.
And even then, they have to get a good-enough understanding about what is going to make the Company healthy. If they don't, they may still crash it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.