Matthieu Monteil
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Should we :
- Check for scenario's pre-requirement first and then travel ?
or
- Travel for a "destination" and then look at the scenario pre-requirement ?

I went for travelling and then looking at the scenario description (including pre-reqs), as it felt more chronological, but then come the following question : what to do if the scenarios pre-req are not met ?

Lets say that travel event caused us to loose HPs. We arrive at a destination for which we don't have pre-reqs. Should we go back to Gloomhaven and start a new travel to a new scenario ? (therefore drawing a new travel card ?) What about the HPs lost during first travel ? Should we consider that we recovered them while being back in Gloomhaven ? or stack the results of the 2 travel cards ? ...

Thanks a lot in advance for your help/inputs !
Ilu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ilujito wrote:
Hi all,

Should we :
or

I went for travelling and then looking at the scenario description (including pre-reqs), as it felt more chronological, but then come the following question : what to do if the scenarios pre-req are not met ?

Lets say that travel event caused us to loose HPs. We arrive at a destination for which we don't have pre-reqs. Should we go back to Gloomhaven and start a new travel to a new scenario ? (therefore drawing a new travel card ?) What about the HPs lost during first travel ? Should we consider that we recovered them while being back in Gloomhaven ? or stack the results of the 2 travel cards ? ...

Again, you don't have to travel to read the prereqs so this question is moot. However, let's say you encounter a particularly difficult event card that really hurts the party. There is nothing saying you can't abandon your attempt at the scenario you were traveling to before even trying it, return to Gloomhaven and recover. However, when traveling back to that scenario you need to draw another road event card.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help/inputs !
Ilu

When you complete a scenario it is very clearly stated at the conclusion of that scenario, which scenarios are linked. At this point, you choose one of the linked scenarios, turn to that scenario and see if you have satisfied all requirements. You do not need to "travel" to the scenario in order to see if you have fulfilled the requirements. Without the requirements you technically don't even know the scenario exists yet.

For your other questions ...

Again, you don't have to travel to read the prereqs so this question is moot. However, let's say you encounter a particularly difficult event card that really hurts the party. There is nothing saying you can't abandon your attempt at the scenario you were traveling to before even trying it, return to Gloomhaven and recover. However, when traveling back to that scenario you need to draw another road event card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilujito wrote:
Should we :
or

Pick the next scenario, which does not have to be a linked one (regarding the above post), and then turn to its page in the scenario book before setting it up. If you meet all the requirements, set up the board and read the introduction.

ilujito wrote:
Lets say that travel event caused us to loose HPs. We arrive at a destination for which we don't have pre-reqs.

There's no need to travel to a place you don't have the prereqs for. Your character may not even know its there, or certainly they don't have enough info to know what to do there (some locations require 2 or more things to happen prior to doing them). Choose a different location and keep the same road event outcome, as you should not have went to that location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
albcann wrote:
When you complete a scenario it is very clearly stated at the conclusion of that scenario, which scenarios are linked.
The OP has nothing to do with linked scenarios. The question is whether one should check the pre-requisites for unlocked scenarios before travelling to the location to begin the scenario. I believe the answer is that you should check. If you want to do otherwise, that's up to you, but clearly it adds a complication, one that I doubt that the designer intended. Certainly he didn't provide a resolution for such a complication, which is why I believe that it's one that the OP is introducing unnecessarily

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Monteil
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for your answers.

Trying to add more information/clarification on how I came across that situation without spoiling too much :

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Let's just say that there may be a random side scenario with pre-reqs . So it's not a question of finishing a scenario unblocking another one and therefore ensuring that pre-reqs are met .

However, thinking about it again, I think that indeed, pre-reqs need to be checked before traveling.
I came to that conclusion thinking about the whole thing differently : Should we open the scenario book at the scenario's page before traveling ? A clear answer to that question is "yes" as we need to check if the scenario is linked to Gloomhaven or not (in case it is : no travel). So it's most probably the same regarding pre-reqs.

Cheers,
ilu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilujito wrote:
Thanks a lot for your answers.

Trying to add more information/clarification on how I came across that situation without spoiling too much :

Let's just say that there may be a random side scenario with pre-reqs . So it's not a question of finishing a scenario unblocking another one and therefore ensuring that pre-reqs are met .
So what?
Random or not, it still has a page in the book, it still gets unlocked, it may still have pre-reqa. Why is that any different to any other scenario with pre-requisites? Even a random dungeon scenario (and there is one) would he treated the same way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Monteil
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
So what?
Random or not, it still has a page in the book, it still gets unlocked, it may still have pre-reqa. Why is that any different to any other scenario with pre-requisites? Even a random dungeon scenario (and there is one) would he treated the same way

Answering with full spoilers :

I agree, no difference. To give the full picture, we're just starting the game. Did first scenario and looted the treasure (random scenario). We just decided "Yeah ! Let's go there" and it was the random scenario with pre-req, hence why my question regarding travel.
To be fully transparent, now that we're talking about it, I'm even wondering if that specific scenario isn't linked to Gloomhaven (not 100% sure), which is something else we misunderstood then ... blush ...
I guess all this was more because of our lack of experience/plays. Now I think we got it : Reading the "link" and "pre-reqs" of a scenario is to be done before travel phase.

Cheers and thanks again for the help !
ilu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.