Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose this is a pointless rant, but why on earth does the game not come with any tokens for coins (or even metal coins)?!

My characters seem to be gaining/losing money constantly and even before finishing one session, I've nearly worn a hole in the character sheets from erasing and re-writing the amount of coins they have.

I suppose I should just find something suitable to use for coin tokens, but man do I hate having to go looking for my own components for a game that already has hundreds of components and costs over $100. What the hell were they thinking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would hate dealing with coins for this game. I'd be spending the entire time counting them out and then everybody would have a massive pile of coins taking up even more space. No thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

"These are the times that try men's souls." -- Thomas Paine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always pick up a pack of metal coins. There are a number of companies that make them. Could be fun, but that will really depend on what your money situation turns out to be. I would agree that if you characters begin to accrue vast amounts of gold it would become a bit of a pain to be handling all those coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no law on ceres.... just cops.
badge
i keep warning you. doors and corners, kid. that's where they get you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Laminate those character sheets and get on the dry erase train. You'll never look back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
You could always pick up a pack of metal coins. There are a number of companies that make them. Could be fun, but that will really depend on what your money situation turns out to be. I would agree that if you characters begin to accrue vast amounts of gold it would become a bit of a pain to be handling all those coins.

Yeah, I looked into it, but the nicer coins tend to be very expensive.

Ironically, I decided to just use real coins as it was much cheaper.

It just seems so weird in a game that's so expensive and has so many components and had so many add-ons for sale during its Kickstarter.

Ridiculously big neoprene map? Check. Neoprene mat for each player? Check. $300 wooden box? Check. 80 extra miniatures you don't need? Check.

Tokens for keeping track of a variable that changes constantly? Absolutely not, that's out of the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Laminate those character sheets and get on the dry erase train. You'll never look back!

You don't find the dry erase marker gets smudged off when you put the sheets away for storage? That's the problem I had last time I tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dock
msg tools
mbmb
Thinking about coins I've just thought on that I must have a bucket load of small plasticard coins from an old pirates ship game.

If my players do ask for money to use thou I will use thous or real life variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:
I would hate dealing with coins for this game. I'd be spending the entire time counting them out and then everybody would have a massive pile of coins taking up even more space. No thanks.

Really, the entire time? You must be extremely slow at counting. You do realize coins come in different denominations, right?

For me, part of the appeal of a board game is the physicality of the components, especially in an RPG-like game where part of the fun is collecting your "loot". Seeing that big stack of coins pile up in front of you as your character progresses is a good thing, not a bad thing. Also, it doesn't seem like my characters will ever amass a "big pile" of coins because it's usually better to spend that money on something useful.

But I can understand why it might not appeal to everyone. I'm a "components junkie"; I like the components of the game to look and feel the part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no law on ceres.... just cops.
badge
i keep warning you. doors and corners, kid. that's where they get you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

You don't find the dry erase marker gets smudged off when you put the sheets away for storage? That's the problem I had last time I tried it.

I don't. I use ultra fine tip dry erase markets (brand name: The Board Dudes) that I got on Amazon. They occasionally dry up on a whim, but they work really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

I will be laminating and using wet erase markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait till you realize that the ultimate gear doesn't have corresponding item cards and you'll need to make your own tokens.

Honestly, the coins thing isn't that big of a deal as others have noted. I love the game so I bought a ton of metal coins and haven't looked back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mincey
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
emodiu5 wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

I don't. I use ultra fine tip dry erase markets (brand name: The Board Dudes) that I got on Amazon. They occasionally dry up on a whim, but they work really well.

I picked up a pack of EXPO's at Walmart (black,red,green,blue) that work perfect....and a pack of wet erase for character name and things you don't want to wipe off very easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:

this, specially the ones done by one of the user here.

I agree, having coins and counting would be a pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
Just wait till you realize that the ultimate gear doesn't have corresponding item cards and you'll need to make your own tokens.

I'm starting to realize there's a lot of stuff in the game that isn't covered by the components. I guess they just ran out of money or something and couldn't finish it.

I know, I know, you're supposed to just write it all down on your character sheet, but the character sheets weren't included either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.