Subject: [Amazon] Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization $40.02 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Wisconsin Rapids
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The price is bouncing around a bit but is currently at $40.02, sold by Amazon, as of posting this. That's near the lowest it's ever been according to CamelCamelCamel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CZT9D9/ref=oh_aui_deta...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/182028/through-ages-...

MM - $48.99
CSI - $50.49
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those that I know I'd love, but I'd never be able to get it to the table. I'm glad it will be released on Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
number_eight wrote:
This is one of those that I know I'd love, but I'd never be able to get it to the table. I'm glad it will be released on Steam.

That was my experience with it. Nations is a decent substitute that sees the table more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the iOS version of this game killed any desire I had to own the physical version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FightOnGoBlue wrote:
number_eight wrote:

That was my experience with it. Nations is a decent substitute that sees the table more often.

Just played Nations for the first time the other day with 2P. It was uninspiring to say the least. I went all military and my wife went all stability. Lets just say stability was FAR superior to military in every way, and the "negatives" for having a weak military were so minor that the overwhelming positive gains from stability completely overshadowed any losses from a weak military. Lets not even get into how expensive it was to farm a military compared to farming stability.

We actually didn't even finish it because she was so totally bored.

That being said, the component quality was lackluster to the point that it harkens back to the days of old (paper boards instead of card board, flimsy thin warped main boards, a grossly oversized box), the art is absolutely atrocious, and the cost - especially considering in relation to whats the box - is a joke to say the least ($90 retail, $60 "on sale").

Don't buy Nations. Don't buy the dice version either, unless you want to (over)pay for a nap.

I'd love to try TtA. Anyone want to trade for my copy of Nations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lencioni
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good price, but I think the app is prob a better value since the game does take a long time to play and has a lot of book-keeping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you played Nations like it was TTA and you got bored. Totally the game's fault though, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
HODL
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
So, you played Nations like it was TTA and you got bored. Totally the game's fault though, right?
Still valuable to hear what his experience with the game was. Mileage always varies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
Still valuable to hear what his experience with the game was. Mileage always varies.

I think it can be a bit dangerous though to give a slanted viewpoint of something. To be clear, Nations is a pass for me, but to say, "oh I played this way and found it boring" is an extremely limited way to present a game. Military in this game is extremely abstract, and it is less important than it is in TTA. It is also expensive to maintain and does not inherently give points. It is not alone a path to victory.

I would encourage people to watch Rahdo's runthrough but completely ignore his final thoughts on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
number_eight wrote:

Yup, same boat as you... Fairly new to boardgames and always wanted to give this a go... However, I know if I did end up buying it, it will just sit there and never see a table.. Asked a few friends and no one was even remotely interested in learning and giving it a shot.

Ended up picking up the iOS version... Probably better value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:
TheGreatHamEl wrote:

I think it can be a bit dangerous though to give a slanted viewpoint of something...

Yeah.

I feel the need to point out that Nations is ranked 81 on BGG.

Yes, the BGG rankings are flawed, but the fact remains that it's in the top 1-2% of all games. So it can't really be that bad for most people.

(Sorry... had to comment. "I played it once and the game is terrible", is a pet peeve of mine. Also, I haven't played Nations, so I truly don't care if people like it or not.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations is OK, Through the Ages is amazing.

Nations never gets played because it is merely OK, Through the Ages very very rarely gets played because it takes too long and I can never get three to four people sufficiently familiar with the game in one place to play it.

Still, Through the Ages is one of the best games of all time... so for $40 +$20 shipping I'm kind of tempted to upgrade my copy from old to new...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
HODL
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're still interested in this deal, check out the Gamestop promotion: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1875581/adrenaline-through-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
price is $45
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Piotrowski
United States
Doylestown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind the GameStop promotion at the moment... I just bought TTA and Adrenaline for $51.90 shipped. Pretty darn good deal... $26 bucks each! No-brainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn USA and it's amazing deals Really wish Canada had some of these solid deals sometimes.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Strickler
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to love Nations. The solo play is fun too. Most everyone I've introduced it to loves it. Interesting "different strokes".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
If you manage to click exactly on my avatar's eye, you will win a special prize! Be careful though, as the penalty for missing it is severe.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think nations shines by taking a complex topic and attempting to streamline it. I personally dont want to play an extremely long civilization game. If I want to do that, ill fire up Sid Meyers Civ V. Anything longer that Nations is inconvenient for me. I also think Nations is fun, which is the most important part, but it is also easily teachable

Edit: I also don't think this a good place for information for the nations v. Tta debate, as people who are interested in tta will come here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.