Unicornus Knights» Forums » General

Subject: Any feedback on solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I’m absolutely intrigued by the idea of this game. I’m wondering how it plays solo. Is it finicky and difficult to manage? Is it fun?
On one hand, it seems it might be beneficial because the player doesn’t get stuck with just being a support character and can manage everyone. On the other hand I’m worried that multi handing it might get overwhelming and difficult to manage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still waiting on the updated rulebook to be officially released. That said it doesn't look too bad to manage. Something along the lines of Darkest Night (First edition) if you are familiar with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed playing it solo.
Playing 4 characters need a little used to, but it’s otherwise fine and fun.
And no alpha player to mess up your plans 😃
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no law on ceres.... just cops.
badge
i keep warning you. doors and corners, kid. that's where they get you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played once solo with four characters and really enjoyed it. It really isn't too fiddly, but it does take a lot of table space until you start beating down some of those empire characters.

I didn't have any issue running multiple characters, and as you mention, it makes having support people better as you don't have to worry about someone getting "stuck" with the support role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oduh wrote:
I am still waiting on the updated rulebook to be officially released. That said it doesn't look too bad to manage. Something along the lines of Darkest Night (First edition) if you are familiar with that.

Any idea what the ETA is for the update?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted today:
rsdancey wrote:
The revised rulebook text is being reviewed in Japan by the designers and we expect to have it online shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oduh wrote:
Posted today:
rsdancey wrote:
The revised rulebook text is being reviewed in Japan by the designers and we expect to have it online shortly.

So it will NOT be in the 1st edition English release then. Will there be a 2nd edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dancey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Are you asking if the revised rulebook will be in the box? No, the product was printed last summer....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdancey wrote:
Are you asking if the revised rulebook will be in the box? No, the product was printed last summer....

Ok so should i wait for another printing or just buy the 1st edition now? I'm very interested in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't look like AEG has taken the decision to produce this game again yet. So currently your only option is to get the 1st edition and print the revised rulebook for yourself.
As far as I'm concerned, I'm still not sure I'd recommend the game for solo play, seeing how you have to manage 3 or 4 characters. I'll keep exploring, but only after I've upgraded the game. If I take time to do it. I would really like to love this game, because it's very unique, it has lovely art, I like the setup too, and it's thinky with interesting decisions (though I'm not a big fan of the amount of impact that events have).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Elucidator

Texas
msg tools
Playing solo plays pretty quickly once you know the game.

However, the downside to playing solo is that you have knowledge of each character's support cards, which removes one of the aspects of challenge from normal play. Since you will know all the cards available to all the characters, you will probably have a heck of a time not using this knowledge to your advantage. In normal play, not knowing if anyone else has the ability to save the princess by using a movement or healing card can add an element of risk to your choices. That risk is completely removed when playing solo since you will always know what the entire player team is capable of, leaving only event/fate cards and dice rolls as variables.

That said, I've played the game with 3 and 4 character solo before and I like the game enough to find that fun every now and then but it's still a table hog. I wouldn't play it with more than 3 or 4 characters solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a totally lost opportunity IMO. This game would be GREAT solo if they designers had taken that into account at inception. As it stands, perhaps an expansion could fix it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Veers1138 wrote:
In normal play, not knowing if anyone else has the ability to save the princess by using a movement or healing card can add an element of risk to your choices. That risk is completely removed when playing solo since you will always know what the entire player team is capable of, leaving only event/fate cards and dice rolls as variables.

Only the event cards, fate cards, and die rolls? Gosh, now it's downright deterministic! :)

I've played plenty of Unicornus Knights solitaire with four characters, and it works great that way. I've always felt that rules stipulating secrecy about each player's hand of cards in a co-op game was just a way to justify having multiple players. It's awkward and forced, and unless it's the point of the design -- Hanabi or Dead of Winter, for instance -- it's just silly and pointless.

Furthermore, Unicornus Knights is a problematic co-op game because some characters are relegated to support roles. Also, it's pacing is way too erratic for co-op if some folks in your group are less invested than others.

But as a guy who really enjoys solitaire games, I heartily endorse it as a solitaire game:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/02/05/darn-princess-to...

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no law on ceres.... just cops.
badge
i keep warning you. doors and corners, kid. that's where they get you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, enjoy this best as a solo game (with four characters). I always figure the rule to prevent from talking about your cards is mostly to prevent quarterbacking or to intentionally (and sort of artificially) increase the difficulty.

If you really feel like it's too easy, you can always try some of the more difficult variants in the back of the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.